SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_part_shade

Southern California Raspberry, Blackberry, Blueberry Notes

Hey guys, notes on 2015 berry adventures in Los Angeles, all plants grown in 15 gal root pouches on drip with Osmocote Plus and random other fertilizer:

-Prime Ark Freedom blackberry is a monster grower, it never really stops growing in our "winter," it just slows down a bit. They might need bigger pots or go in ground to see max yield. They also need regular tipping to promote lateral growth. Also, they get heat burn easier than any berry out there. If you can shade them a bit, the berries are gigantic and delicious and they just keep producing like crazy. Absolutely the best success in LA.

-Baba Raspberry: supposedly the best for SoCal, but mine didn't do so well. I got 4 plants from Armstrong when they incorrectly priced them at $8 each. I got another one from somewhere else. They seemed to be hit by whatever diseases or stress was around. Average berries, lots of crumbling berries,. Disappointing.

-Nantahala Raspberry: bare root from Indiana Berry, planted in april. This is the heat-tolerant variety that should be on everyone's list. Excellent berries, no crumble. Buying more of this variety.

-Vintage Raspberry: From Indiana Berry, despite the name it's one of the newest varieties released out of oregon. And it's still producing. It's crazy. Excellent berries, really firm, really prolific. In november, december and january I was pulling a handful from one cane every other day. And it still is producing buds. Maybe it's incredibly late, or I planted it late or it just doesn't care about cold. Not sure, but it doesn't stop. Definitely getting more Vintage.

-Anne Yellow: from bareroot. low producer, big single or double canes. Worthwhile to have, more tests needed.

-Fall Gold: From 1 gal. Excellent sweet taste. Low producer, second year should be better.

-Niwot Primocane black raspberry: the fastest grower out there, takes over everything with these white, sharp canes. Pruned according to the niwot guide, tipped canes produced 8 offshoots that went everywhere. But barely got any fruit. Not sure if it's worth keeping.

-Prime Ark 45 Blackberry: Thorny, first year, small canes but second year should see if they're better for high LA heat.

-Triple Crown: Second year coming, berry quality unknown.

-Boysen: similar, but expected to be good.

-Olallie: similar

Blueberries:

-Sweetcrisp: I have one three year, and 4 2 year. They're all leafing and flowering right now. Pruning is the key with these guys. They grow these huge crazy canes that need to be tipped constantly during the summer. Unknown berry quality, but expected to be awesome.

-Southmoon: flowering now, great quality.

-Emerald, Jewel, Tophat, etc. -- I have these at another location, all seem quality.

-TIPS: Used combination acid soil and pine bark, works great. Used Miracle Gro Acid shake and feed -- the only granular fertilizer I can find that's okay for blueberries. 1/4 tsp every two weeks. Also Jack's Acid Special watered in once a week.

Comments (19)