SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nannerswolf

BEST storage container for castings regarding stragglers

I am almost to the point where I can harvest my first tray off my 360 but I am very worried that I will miss a few eggs or baby worms while sorting. I read elsewhere on the forum that you can store the vermicompost in a tub and go through it every once in a while for a few weeks to find hatched worms. Someone mentioned that you had to have slits for air. As long as I pick them out before they're old enough to mate, in theory, I should be able to get every last one worm and egg baby before I put the compost out in the yard. I am very conscious of the fact that these little worms cannot survive the Ohio winters in the wild so if I miss one, it isn't going to live happily ever after.

Regarding the tub- Would it be better to use a deeper tub (like a foot deep) or a more shallow tub (about 5" deep) to store the harvested goods? Which would be better for the babies? I figured there is a reason they don't go more than a few inches down in the wild but if I don't need to find a bunch of 5" deep containers, that'd be great.

Do I need to punch holes in the side of the tub for air (My 360 has air access built in so I haven't had to worry about it thus far.)? If yes, about how many?

Should I have the moist newspaper on top of the harvested vermicompost or should I have a lid with holes punched? I really want to make the environment comfortable for the babies while they are growing big enough for me to notice.

Thank you in advance for your expertise and experience (and for overlooking the fact that I've gone OCD about my responsibility to the worms)!

Comments (5)