SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyx_jatho

Raised beds over gravel driveway

8 years ago

New house and unfortunately the best place for a vegetable garden is on a large gravel area that previously had cars. The ground is compacted with gravel and weeds and while I don't mind putting raised beds there I am actually worried about the contamination.

Does anyone know how much oil/antifreeze/whatever else would stick around in the area or how far I would need to raise the beds to avoid any leaching from these things? I do live in Northwest Washington and the rain washes a lot of it into the ground/street but the gravel is still stained with it all.

Again, specifically for vegetables - if it were just a flower garden I'd do it and see how it turns out but I don't want to be eating anything leached into the soil. Would it be a good idea to plant flowers for a few years to help break down the contaminates before putting a vegetable garden there maybe? Would a wood bottom to the raised beds be enough to avoid it (though it would rot and breakdown itself over time). Or should I just stick to proper containers or other locations?

Comments (7)