SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lea_grabb

Possible scam

Lea Grabb
8 years ago

My husband was on his laptop this morning and he called me into see a message that he had received. It said that his computer was possibly generating ..??....(wish I had written down what it said)....to not shut down his computer because he would possibly lose his hard drive. Gave a 1-888 number to call, which I did; an oriental answered saying he was with Microsoft and he said he would help me. Had me download www.helpmenow.net, which enabled him to take over the laptop. He said the hardrive was 87% infected and that he could hook me up with a technician how could fix it. By this time I was worried so I told him that I really didn't trust him and that I would rather take it to my local repairman. He tried to talk me out of it. I told him that I had no way of knowing if he really was with Microsoft, etc. I hung up and disconnected from him supposedly. Any thoughts? We have run a malwarebytes scan and it didn't look like anything serious....quarantined what was found; restarted the lap top. What can I do to see if I really have a bad hard drive. All he used the laptop for is to play solitaire, check his mail and do some on line shopping at Amazon and at the farm store.

Comments (15)