SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Isn't this still fraud? (long)

amicus
8 years ago

I recently had coffee with an ex co-worker (I'll call Sue) and admired a diamond pendant she was wearing. She told me she had just got it for herself, after returning one she'd bought six months earlier. I commented that she was lucky a store took back a piece of jewellery after half a year. Sue then shocked me by telling me how this happened.

She said that she bought a pendant 6 months ago that she thought was pretty, but soon realized it was a little larger than what she'd prefer. She considered returning it, but noticed her receipt said no returns or exchanges after 30 days. More time than that had passed, so she was disappointed at her expensive mistake and just kept it in the box, thinking she might wear it eventually.

But just last month, Sue was in the same store and saw a very similar diamond pendant that suited her better, so she bought it. When putting her receipt in a file at home, she saw that the receipt for her new pendant was identical to the 'expired' receipt for her original pendant, other than the date. Both only said 'diamond pendant 14k gold' and had the same code number.

A week or two later she went back to the store with the original pendant, and returned it with the receipt of the pendant she had just bought. Perhaps because my jaw was dropping, Sue assured me that she didn't feel conflicted about what she had done, because the diamond pendant she returned was the larger pendant, costing $150.00 more than the new one she bought. She explained that "the store will be gaining that amount, and I'll accept the loss, in order to have a pendant I'd like to wear."

I told her I felt it was still fraud, to knowingly return something with the wrong receipt. As well, the store might not realize they'd got back a pricer item than the accompanying receipt, and therefore, not 'gain' any money if they resell it for the lower price. In that case, only the new customer would (unknowingly) gain any benefit.

Sue hadn't thought of that, and seemed clearly upset at the thought of having done something 'fraudulent' and as I'd never known her to be anything but honest and ethical otherwise, I just dropped it. I do wonder if the store ever realized what happened, and how they handled it.

Comments (22)