coffee substitute anyone?

Annegriet

Any recommendations? I know coffee is bad for the bones. I have 1 mug per day (with lots of milk) but love coffee and think maybe a coffee substitute would be good. I do drink 1 green tea most days.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janusz Szymczak

You could try Yerba Mate which some electrolytes. Green tea itself can also "wake you up". I'm not sure where the "coffee is bad for bones" comes from. After Heaney R.P. (2002) Effects of caffeine on bone and the calcium economy. Food Chem Toxicol, 40: 1263-70.

"The majority of reports available failed to find any significant effects of caffeine on bone density. A review of 32 observational studies performed in 200242 indicated no overall negative effect of caffeine on bone health.

2 Likes Save    
Annegriet

Wow--you made my day with that news! Thanks. Everyday I have one cup of coffee--I used to have 2 or 3. I don't want to cut out my one cup--there are loads of benefits to coffee BUT I thought I could replace cup 2 with a green tea and cup 3 with the Yerba Mate that you suggested (-: Thanks.

Save    
Janusz Szymczak

No problem:) All 3 of them are great antioxidants and, at least in PubMed, few studies relate caffeine to bone density problems. It does include it as a "factor" to some bone density problems but mostly with people who already have higher risk for osteoporosis due to other factors.

Save    
Renat Ibragimov

Anne, you are absolutely right that you decreasing your coffee consumption. (source Life Secrets). 1 cup of coffee is optimal amount, 3 cups is not good enough. Green tea is a great choice, but don't forget to drink enough water, it would be better for your health.
As certainly your question, try out Teeccino http://teeccino.com/ - is a herbal coffee. It almost tea, so it doesn't contain caffeine, but smells like coffee.
Hope, you will like it,
Renat

Save    
Annegriet

Hello! Thank you to all who responded. So, on weekends, I have 2 cups coffee per day. I mean, come on, I gotta live a little (-: The week days, I have 1 cup coffee and the coffee substitute. I do like the Teeccino a lot. The Salted Caramel Dandelion is my favorite. Great flavor--tastes like a fancy coffee. Have a great weekend everyone.

Save    
Cookie8

If you like a bitter taste there is also chicory coffee. It takes a couple of tries to get a good balance. I like it for a substitute.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entryways The Cure for Houzz Envy: Entryway Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a smashing first impression with just one or two affordable design moves
Full Story
Living Rooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Living Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Spiff up your living room with very little effort or expense, using ideas borrowed from covetable ones
Full Story
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story