SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Where do you grow your succulents?

I know this will be somewhat species specific, but I am curious what seems to be the best conditions for growing them in planters in Florida?

Right now I only have a few. I have a Kalanchoe that made its way down from Michigan with my wife's best friend. The mother plant was in real poor shape when she asked me if I could save it. With the help of the people on the Cacti and Succulents forum, I managed to save it and propagate it. I currently grow one in my lanai where it gets bright light, but not direct light until late in the day. This has led to a nice green color on big, fat leaves, but somewhat leggy growth. I have another that I put in a spot that gets both morning and late sun, but is shaded through the height of the day. This resulted in smaller, reddish leaves, but a more compact growth. This one also bloomed more profusely than the lanai one but the flowers faded much quicker.

I have tried growing echeveria in a few different locations, but there is something I must be missing on this one as they keep croaking on me, even though I neglect them. The humidty and regular rains of our summers demand a free draining soil mix, so I have tried straight cactus mix, straight sand and a various mixes of the two.

I would really like to get the hang of these 'no care' plants so I can build some nice potted arrangements for my mother's house as well as a few spots around my yard.

And no, I do NOT want any Mother of Millions pups. :)

Comments (7)