SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_387746

Highly neglected (but healthy) Japanese Maple. Pruning advice?

Vinny
8 years ago

Dear Experts,

I inherited a Japanese Maple with my property (Zone 7b). It had been sitting unhappy in a shaded corner of the yard for years. Last spring I had it professionally moved (specialized bobcat with spades) to a much friendlier location.

I've anxiously waited for the right time to prune it, and I started tackling it today. But the poor thing has grown in such a weird shape that I spent over half hour walking around it and stepping back and forth trying to find the right pruning approach. I wound up cutting very little (see picture of cuts) and removing all the dead branches I could spot.

Please understand that I am not a professional by any means. I just bought a decent quality set of pruners and have binged on YouTube videos and online articles to get a basic understanding. But I know I need to do whatever possible to let the tree breathe and give it the little shape that it can still have (given the years it spent in the wrong spot).

Here's an album with pictures, and here's a video of me walking around it (if it helps to get a better idea of its shape). I marked one of the pictures with possible cuts and numbered them to make the life easier of whoever would like to help. Please understand that I do **not** intend to do all of the cuts marked in the picture, I just marked and labeled a bunch of possibilities to facilitate any feedback (e.g.: "Cut 1, 3, 4 only"). I would love to cut #1, but I am not so sure the tree would be happy.

TIA!

PS= I ordered a high quality Japanese cut paste and intend on using it on the larger cuts.

PPS= I would like to build a koi pond somewhat under this tree eventually.

Comments (7)