SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmg1717

Japanese maple - complex pruning issue - help!

jmg1717
8 years ago

We recently had a patio and landscape beds installed, and our landscaper planted a large Japanese maple (Emperor I?) for us. He chose the tree, and I did not see it until the entire project was finished. A few days later I noticed the unusual branch structure (see photos). This is a fairly large maple, we're guessing 10-15 years old? I know it was one of the biggest he could find.

The problem of course is with the crossing and rubbing branches. As you can see from the first photo, the tree itself has a nice overall shape and canopy. But looking at the other photos, you can see what almost looks like a second large trunk emerging near the ground, which has branches that swing back toward the middle of the tree. The upper branch is pressed against the trunk, but does not appear to be rubbing it - it actually looks like it is flattening against it as it grows.

I know that crossing and rubbing branches should generally be removed, but if I removed the problematic branches, we would lose about 1/3 of the canopy and one entire side of the tree would be "flattened" ruining the overall appearance.

So my questions are: 1) if we leave the two large lower branches that cross to the other side, will they eventually "merge" with the main trunk and no longer be a problem? 2) if one or both of these branches should be removed, where should I make the cuts?

I would never have chosen this tree myself, but here we are. [BTW, asking the landscaper to replace the tree is not really an option - we've already had him correct a few other issues, and I think we'd get a flat out "no" on this one.]

Thanks for your help!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery