SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_wa

Hoya bella blasting buds

Kim
8 years ago

My H. bella is growing fabulously, and since last summer has about 5-9 peduncles on it at any given time. Trouble is, the second they get big enough to start looking like they are actually going to bloom, the plant blasts them away.

It's in a sheltered south window, I suspect part of the problem may be that it is too close to the glass, it's hanging from a standard curtain rod. Maybe pulling it back a bit, to protect from the cold glass? (I am in Eastern Washington). The second thing I suspect may be lacking is nutrient availability? I currently only use Tappin Roots as a plant feed and realize I should probably step it up.... my mom bloomed hers year round on only those icky miracle grow sticks. Anyways, the tappin roots is a kelp and willow based extract. Maybe I should try something else?

Other conditions.... I never let this one completely dry out, or it will get fussy and hemmoraghe leaves. I give the tappin roots as a foliar spray about once a week, and this is a 3 year old plant from cuttings. My family grows H. bella like many folks do H. carnosa, and I can't recall my mom every having much trouble save for keeping it misted to get it to bloom. Any thoughts or suggestions? I miss those gorgeous white and pink stars!!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored