SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aok27502

Does anyone have experience with a geriatric dog?

aok27502
8 years ago

We have a 15 year old dog. She's had her share of health issues, but generally she's in pretty good shape, for the shape she's in. One thing is driving us crazy, though. She paces. And paces. And paces. The vet said this is a classic early sign of dementia, but in her case is no cause for concern. She still has lots going on in her head, no worries right now.
But she's driving us insane. She walks laps around the first floor of our house. Lap after lap after lap, until one of us makes her park it on her bed. She'll stay there for a minute or two, then she's up again. Sometimes she'll walk one lap, go to her bed for a minute, then start over. And over. Yesterday she was in constant motion for 40 minutes.

She only seems to do it when we're around. If we leave, or go upstairs, eventually she'll stop. She's always sleeping when I come in from being gone.

Any suggestions? She doesn't understand why we force her to stop. (By force, I mean we insist. Usually all it takes is a stern word and a pointed finger. Never anything physical.) I hate to discipline her, I feel like I'm yelling at someone's grandmother!

Comments (34)