SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conanc

Does anyone have experience with Appalachian flooring?

Conanc
15 years ago

Hi There,

Has anyone used Appalachian flooring at all? I believe it is made by Anderson. We are looking at pre-finished 3 1/4" (3/4" thick) solid hardwood in Red Oak.

Any information you can provide would be most helpful.

Thank you!

Comments (59)

• Conanc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses!

link7881 -- Did you use the Appalachian Flooring out of Canada and not the Anderson owned Appalachian?

CajunMike - the floor is beautiful....unfortunately out of our price range. Will look for your photos.

Lynn -- when will you make your final decision?

• bidzer30_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I was just looking at some flooring and the Appalachian samples stood out immediately. The quality of the product looks tremendous. Good Engineering and build quality.

I'm looking at the Tigerwood 3/4' or the Jatoba 3/4' We have red oak natural cabinets, but we're not sure how the samples are going to contrast against the cabinets. I can get each for $6 sq. and that seem very reasonable.

I really want to try some of this but can't find it anywhere. Novawood is a supplier to wholesalers. This looks unreal...

http://www.novausawood.com/tarara-hardwood-flooring.html

Choices, Choices....

Here is a link that might be useful: Tarara Wood

• Related Discussions

Does anyone have experience with Novacore vinyl flooring?

Q

Comments (0)
    I don’t see many reviews when it comes to novacore. Has anyone tried this brand of flooring.
    ...See More

Does anyone have experience with Kentwood engineered floor?

Q

Comments (1)
    So often there just really aren't that many reviews of some of the lesser-known flooring brands. If you're very concerned about quality, you might go with something that has a more visible track record.
    ...See More

RIVA Floors? Does anyone have experience with RIVA floors?

Q

Comments (10)
    Riva products are not oiled to my knowledge. If you have soil issues, investigate how the soil is entering the home and try to catch as much as possible at the entries. I know it sound common sense, but many people ignore that step. I prefer some type of scrubby mat outdoors and something soft inside that will catch moisture and residual soil.
    ...See More

Appalachian flooring

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello, I do not have experience with this company. I did just look them up and here is my 2cents Excel refers to the grade of the lumber - looks like is a what most wood companies refer to a Character Grade. I could not see a product or collection called heritage. It looks like they use a Baltic Birch Core, which is good, we alway use WBP Baltic Birch, not sure if they are. I don't know anything about their length specs, milling quality, what glue they use to engineer the wood flooring etc. Here is an article that tells you about what to look for in a good engineered wood floor, read this, it will help you ask the 'right' question to confirm that they are providing you with a quality wood floor. https://www.woodco.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-before-buying-an-engineered-wood-floor/  https://www.woodco.com/news/quality-check-engineered-wood-flooring/ Some floors will look 'similar' on the specs, but in real life they are very different.
    ...See More
  • susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Conanc, I had planned to have new floors in before the 2008 year end but first I wanted to install Akoya Bone Porcelain Tile in my two foyer areas so the grout would not scratch the hardwood floors. I had so many problems with installers that the job was not completed until the end of the year so that is why I now have to wait until my tax season ends since I am a CPA. I am taking a break as I eat dinner to read posts since I have been doing tax returns all day. The beige carpet in my home office is about 19 years old (I finally figured it out based on when the place was built... I had not realized I have lived here now past 12 years) and steam cleaning it no longer is getting it clean. I want to replace all the carpeting downstairs with a pretty engineered hardwood floor that will hold up to clients visiting to drop off paperwork and hold up to my 4 little toy dogs that do not shed that range from 4 lbs to 8.5 lbs. My equipment can't stand the dust that this rug creates and I would prefer a floor that is easier to keep clean and be better for my allergies. I love my new tiles and I know I will love my new floor once I make a final decision.

I still have not decided what I will do with the floor in my kitchen that is lineoleum and needs to be replaced.

Surprisingly the carpets upstairs are in good shape. If funds were available, I would do even my upstairs but I can only change the flooring downstairs since all my appliances keep breaking and needing to be replaced. In a few years, everything may be new in my home so I better stay here for awhile.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

David, thank you so much for letting us know that their is two different Appalachian Flooring companies and that is why there is a loot of confusion.

• vivi1
    11 years ago

I have installed Appalachian engineered flooring and I wouldn't do it again. It looks good. The thickness of the veneer seemed excellent. However, it damages very easily. It doesn't merely dent when something falls on it. The dent has sharp, cracked edges, making it even more unsightly and noticeable. Customer service is extremely prompt and attentive, but they don't stand by their product. The rep actually told me that when her floors were first installed she worried about every "dent", but now she is used to it. When I sent the picture (attached here) they decided it was normal. I have lived with hardwood floors my entire (long) life. The old floors had NO denting problem. The 70 year old solid wood oak floors in the upper level of my current home are virtually dentless despite lots of abuse. Chairs scrape them, things are dropped on them.. The finish isn't perfect, but the floor is fine. The same is true of the 30 year old engineered floors on the main level. The finish has worn in places, but the floors are undented. I installed solid maple flooring (not Appalachian) in a new room about 10 years ago. It is totally dented. However, these are dents, not little round cracked areas which appeared in my Appalachian flooring. Something has changed with hardwood floors over the years. I previously lived in a civil war era house with maple floors. Once sanded and finished, the floors were perfect. No high heels or dropped objects affected them. At any rate, I can say that the kind of "denting" in Appalachian engineered flooring makes them an extremely poor bet in terms of wear. Maybe you have to live with dents these days, but at least let them have smooth round edges.

• Jeanne55555 Schwartzbaum
    6 years ago

I just had pre-finished (Signature Collection) hardwood floors by Appalachian installed. They have a finish called "Evershine" on them. I have it in my home for less than two weeks. I had hardwood floor for 21 years prior to this floor being installed. I did not want to go through the trouble of having my floor sanded-so I purchased this flooring-BIG MISTAKE. The floor was scratched in the first hour that I had it (I am not kidding). My dog just walked on them and they scratched. I had my dogs nails clipped & filed. This made no difference. The floor constantly looks stained. I despise this floor. I am so sorry that I purchased it. If you are thinking of ordering from this company (They are located in Canada)-I advise you to do your homework. You will be sorry-trust me. They looked so well made when I purchased them. This coating that they use is an absolute horror. I am sorry that I didn't look into this before my purchase.

• mgnadar
    5 years ago

Oh i just bought exactly the same - red oak pre-finished Signature collection! It is 6 months since your last post - how is your floor now?

• sarayale
    5 years ago

Anyone else have recent experience with Appalachian? Had picked out a gorgeous grey maple for living room and dining room and after reading the reviews I am now worried. Please post if you have anything to share.

• ssoucy30
    5 years ago

I just had the Appalachian Floor installed throughtout my downstairs about a month ago. It is a beautiful floor and I love the 4” width planks, but I ordered the semi gloss and the order came in with the satin finish. So, wasn’t too happy about that, but getting used to this finish. Here are some pics:

• sarayale
    5 years ago

I ended up going with mirage,nordic maple. I think Mirage is a more well known company and there may be less risk with that. (I bought Fibertec fiberglass windows from Canada and that has been a disaster so trying to minimize risk) . Instead of the gorgeous gray appalachian has, we went white--so totally different look-- but also a beautiful floor. Got the AC on yesterday, so as soon as we acclimate we will be ready to install. Thanks to everyone for the comments.

• juli5077
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info on Appalachian hardwood flooring. I was looking at Hard Maple in Rosewood and it is beautiful, but I was worried about scratching and reading these comments has made me decide to move on and find something else.

• HU-302849662
    4 years ago

Does anybody have experience with hickory wood flooring? Thinking of Appalachian hickory (Canada) peosia (muted) but not a lot of photos available.

• Sam Youssef
    4 years ago

Stay away from appalachian. Very overrated. Scratches easily, chips .

• Sam Youssef
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

One of many cracks from day 1.

• Sam Youssef
    4 years ago

Please please don't buy appalachian .

Contact me sam133ysf@hotmail.com

• Sam Youssef
    4 years ago

Had 13 boards replaced. We couldn't use room for 2 months.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

Sam, that's damage caused from the installer. The mallet tip is too hard for pre-finished flooring installation or the boards are tapped at the incorrect point. They can also, use a scrap board for tapping to prevent damages.

• HU-302849662
    4 years ago

We ended up purchasing the Appalachian Hickory - gunstock. Many of these reviews were not available so I hope we end up being pleased with it. I am taking note of the tips for installation.

• Antonis Tony
    4 years ago

Does anyone have experience with 100% hardwood solid maple from Appalachian? I'm in love with the Era Design in Beaux-Arts, but am reading some awful reviews here! It seems to be mostly with their engineered wood floors though - are there any reviews on the solid maple?

• ruthtc82
    4 years ago

Has anyone got a recent review of Appalachian flooring?

• HU-302849662
    4 years ago

We just installed it two months ago (hickory (gunstock) and its beautiful. Too soon to realize scratches or dents but we're very happy with it.

• HU-302849662
    4 years ago

I should add that I believe it has much to do with who installs it - we had a great installer and have no scratches or chips.

• Jeanne55555 Schwartzbaum
    3 years ago

It has nothing to do with the installer. My floor was installed perfectly. However, the same day it was installed in my home, they were scratched just by my Labrador Retriver walking across the floor. I have never seen a wood floor scratch so easily. My floor cost me almost $7,000. and it looks horrible! It’s the floor-not the installer!

• srmason1109
    3 years ago

Appalachian flooring is the worst. Run, don’t walk to a different floor. If you have any matte finish whether it is shoes, socks, bare feet ANYTHING it leave a messy muddled print. I clean/mop my floors 10-14 Times per week. That does not include vacuuming and sweeping. We have done everything. Called the manufacturer...that’s just the way they are. 25k down the tube.

• HU-456583848
    3 years ago

Hi, we just had Appalachian Gunstock red Oak floors installed. Can you tell me what you are using for a cleaner? Thanks!

• Antonis Tony
    3 years ago

We are using an Organic cleaner called “Dr. Bronner‘s Castile Soap”. Works great, is safe and has different scent options. Product is expensive, but you only use a tablespoon for a mop bucket, so not too expensive when you consider the amount you use.

Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    3 years ago

Very ironic that you would ask that question. I just received the cleaner that I ordered today!

I ordered the cleaner from the Appalachian company in Canada. It works beautifully. I tried using just water, vinegar water, regular floor cleaner, and non of those did a good job. This cleaner and mop that I ordered from the company is fantastic! It is spendy but you don’t use very much.

• HU-456583848
    3 years ago

Thank you for your response. I just ordered the cleaner and mop from the company! I also ordered the color-match crayon for nicks, just in case. We’ll see if that works out. How long did it take for delivery? I am in Massachusetts, not too far from Quebec.

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    3 years ago

Very ironic that you would ask that question. I just received the cleaner that I ordered today! I ordered the cleaner from the Appalachian company in Canada. It works beautifully. I tried using just water, vinegar water, regular floor cleaner, and non of those did a good job. This cleaner and mop that I ordered from the company is fantastic! It is spendy but you don’t use very much.

It only took about a week to ship.

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    3 years ago

Oops didn’t mean to post again only to say it took about a week to get it.

• ssoucy30
    3 years ago

That’s great! Can you tell me if it has a strong scent?

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    3 years ago

No not at all

• kathyg9496
    3 years ago

What type and color is your floor? It is beautiful

• nyara
    2 years ago

Amber is your floor
    Linen
    WHITE OAK
    COLLECTION : ALTA MODA
    FINISH : BRUSHED
    GRADE : LIVE SAWN CHARACTER

Or Grade: Excel?

• Paru
    2 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with their

Signature collection

excel series in maple wood

color travertine or pebble in ultra matte finish ?

It is engineered wood 1/2 " thick with 3 mm wear layer

We are ready to decide soon and it is going on first floor approximately 1300 sq ft.

After reading some of the reviews I am not so sure.

I will greatly appreciate if you can share your experience with this product

• Paru
    2 years ago

Amber is your floor engineered or solid hardwood?

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    2 years ago

It’s solid hardwood. We absolutely love it. It’s only been about a year so no reviews for long term use but we are extremely happy with its quality.

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    2 years ago

Ours is the white oak collection Alta moda collection. Live sawn character

• D W
    2 years ago

Hi Amber.. your floors are beautiful... are your floors 7" wide? I was not able to find white oak, Alta Moda collection, Live sawn character in solid wood. They only have engineered.

Is this your floors?

https://appalachianflooring.com/product/linen-white-oak-lsc/

• Jennifer Nebrasky
    2 years ago

Amber, what is the width of your floors? I would love to do solid wood however it appears only the engineered wood from Appalachian Flooring comes in 5” and 7”?

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

So beautiful! I love the Linen White Oak Floors.

• Jennifer Smith
    last year

Hello I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the Appalachian rosewood maple or the gunstock hickory in their homes? Thanks :)

• PRO
    Ambers Window World
    last year

Mine are 7” solid wood

• jterry05
    last year

We have a guest cottage that has Appalachian Hermosa plank Brazilian Hickory flooring in the main rooms but we want to replace the carpeted bedroom and closet with the same flooring. I want a seamless look since the cottage is small. How do I go about finding a flooring store that Carrie’s this specific wood?

• Brenda Smidt
    9 months ago

Ambers Window World, We installed some solid Appalachian flooring (from Canada) in our house a couple years ago and we just love it, and with our dogs running around and the kids playing on the floor. It is really resisting to the day to day activities of our family. Thanks for the Cleaner information. I went out and bought it, that stuff is great. I was even able to use it to clean the ceramic flooring in the kitchen and the slate in our entrance

• Hailey Bockus
    8 months ago

We just installed some white oak advantage calico and omg im so in love with my new floor and i love the color. We had questions about their products so we called their customer service department in Canada and we got an excellent service. They answered all of our questions and were able to assist us in finding a retailler.

• HU-398941182
    last month

I wish I would have seen this thread before purchasing my wood floors from Appalachian!! I DO NOT recommend at all. I bought white oak floors (Alta Mode line) and when they were first installed they were beautiful. But after a few months, they look so dirty! I purchased these knowing they were “sealed” which is completely false. The grain is open allowing for any dirt to enter, an no amount of hand scrubbing can even get them cleaned. Two pictures show under a rug, and the other picture in an area that’s exposed. I was told the warranty means nothing. So sad considering they were $10sqft!

• Nicholas Ivey (Student)
    last month

HU-3989…, are these solid white oak in poplin? What grade did you install? I’m looking at these in poplin advantage or excel but mixed reviews on the finish.

• Susan Nicholson
    19 days ago

Yes wondering the same as Nicholas as I am looking at the solid white oak in poplin? Does anyone have these?

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner