What did you do today?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
Related Discussions
What did you do today?
Comments (38)Last weekend I was busy thinning trees to help get more sun to my garden space, then built and filled a few raised beds. This weekend I have to get one more bed built and filled, so during the week I vowed to spend 30 minutes per night on the garden. Tonight wasn't very exciting, as I ended up weeding and watering the perennial flower beds, but that is one less thing keeping me from working on the veggie garden this weekend. Tomorrow I need to plant the dozen or so perennials I've plucked off the clearance rack over the past couple of weeks, then Saturday I'll be able to focus on the VEGGIES!...See Morewhat did you do today??
Comments (16)Lisa, No!!!! I can't wait 3 months for spring! I'm in Michigan, too. I count March as spring so only 50 days to go! Even if we still have snow then, the days will be longer and the sun brighter. I think it's time we had an early spring anyway. The thermometer under my pond cover says it's 51* in there with the sun shining. I wish I had a web cam in there. This is the new improved pond cover. Last year it was 6 x 11 ft. This one has new boards and bolts so it can be put together in place by one crazy lady (me) without much help. Lisa, do you have anything under your cover to provide heat? You run air bubblers to keep the ice open? Do you run a pump? Today I am going to go stand outside the pond cover and listen to the water run and wait for spring... sam...See MoreWhat did you do today?
Comments (9)Bonnie... Congratulations! You're hired! You probably did a better job than any licensed electrician that I have ever encountered. Most do a very sloppy job. Hurry up and run! Had to upgrade my service about 5 years ago and the power co. required a licensed electrician to do the work, since the weatherhead, meter loop and distribution panel was to be replaced. What a joke that was! Some of his work had to be redone 3 times to comply with local codes.Once the power co. accepted the power loop to the distribution panel (they are only responsible for that part), I fired the jerk and finished the work myself. He got mad and cancelled the permit and said I would never get a county inspector to approve my work. Heh-Heh! Once he cancelled the permit, they weren't required to perform an inspection! Telephone wiring connections are simple, They are low voltage (max 48 volts, direct current) (DC). Just don't handle with wet hands or stand in a puddle of water and you shouldn't feel a thing. Red & Blue are the primary wires. Keep the colors straight and splice by twisting wires together and secure with a small wire-nut. Keep the splices protected from the weather to avoid corrosion. After you finish the rewiring operation, if you have a Touch-Tone keypad and you can't break dial-tone to place a call, you will need to reverse the Red & Blue wires, as the keypads are polarity (+ & -) sensitive. Even though you have observed correct color while splicing, there may be a reversal in a connection along the cable line somewhere. It happens! Have fun! Rb...See MoreWhat did you do today?
Comments (22)About two weeks ago I dug a new flower bed in the front yard and a vegetable bed in the back. A week and a half ago I put in a bunch of composted manure into the bed in the back and planted onions, peas, spinach, and lettuce. I also noticed that the garlic I planted last fall is poking up through the leaves I used to mulch it, so I side-dressed some manure on them and cleared away a bit of the mulch so the soil would warm up faster in the sun. Last weekend I turned over some area in the main side-yard garden, added more manure, and then planted my potatoes. Three different heirloom kinds I got from Seed Savers (the garlic is heirloom, too), Caribe, French Fingerling, and All Blue. This weekend I started my heirloom tomato seeds. Two pots each of 36 varieties. I'm going for variety this year to judge which types I want to keep planting in the future. Assuming they all make it to planting time, I'll probably only plant one of each and then give the others away, since I'm limited on space. I also cleaned out my worm bins this weekend so I'd have a ready supply of worm compost for the upcoming season. I like to use a 50/50 mix of potting soil and worm compost when I re-pot my tomato seedlings, and I like to through in a scoopful when I plant. The tomato plants seem to just love it. Oh, I have some other small stuff started in the basement, too. Some peppers, brussel sprouts, and a bunch of prairie flowers that my wife requested for the new bed in the front. I'd like to get out soon and get the rest of the garden and the new beds ready by loosening up the soil and adding manure. That's my task for this coming weekend. Mike...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNToday’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story
BUDGETING YOUR PROJECTHouzz Call: What Did Your Kitchen Renovation Teach You About Budgeting?
Cost is often the biggest shocker in a home renovation project. Share your wisdom to help your fellow Houzzers
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSHouzz Call: What Did You Grow This Summer?
Let’s celebrate the homegrown fruits and vegetables of the season. Post your pictures and tell us about your harvest
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: Where Did Your House Get Its Look?
Explore the role of architectural fashions in current designs through 5 home styles that bridge past and present
Full Story
WINDOWSFlying Colors: Stained Glass Through the Ages to Today
Ancient palaces sported it. Monks were distracted by it. But today's stained glass designs may be more glorious than ever
Full Story
DECLUTTERING10 Types of Clutter to Toss Today
Clear the decks and give the heave-ho to these unneeded items
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREStyle 101: The Birthplace of Today's Rustic Look
A look back to the beginning of cabin and lodge design can help you decide on a rustic look for your home today
Full Story
MIDCENTURY STYLEHow to Get Midcentury Modern Style Today
Use the building blocks of midcentury modern design to create a new version for your own life and style
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Renaissance Design Features Right at Home Today
Your home may be taking design cues from the Medicis, from a single silk pillow to a sky-high ceiling over that four-poster bed
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Hippie-Chic Style for Today's Pads
Anyone is free to love these updated home accessories with doses of earthiness and dashes of wit
Full Story


ravencajun Zone 8b TX