SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noraredden

Warm creamy exterior paint colour recommendation?

someday soon
8 years ago

We are building a house and its half way painted. We picked a colour which we thought was a warm creamy colour. We want to have copper accents (rainchains, exterior lighting, outdoor shower) But the colour we chose is more of an icy lemon! The actual name is :French Sonnet" from Cloverdale paint. (Canada)

I don't know if its the colour cast from the surrounding fir trees or the over cast skies but it just doesn't look good at all. Also, the window trim has been painted straight bright white, but next to this icy lemon colour of the siding, the trim takes on a depressing grey/blue hue.

I've shamefully asked the contractor that the colour is awful and I can't adjust and it will need to be repainted. Is there any colour suggestion for a timeless, classy, warm inviting cream colour? My confidence is shot.

Otherwise I may just go barn red ....

Attached is the horrendous colour. Its much brighter lemon/icier in real life

Comments (16)

• Bunny
    8 years ago

timeless, classy, warm inviting cream colour

Is quite subjective. Can you find some examples either on Houzz or Pinterest that look like the color you want? Even if the house is unlike yours, people here can get an idea of what you like.

• louislinus
    8 years ago

SW Antique White

• someday soon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is closest. Warm white?

Farmhouse Exterior · More Info

Exterior with white horizontal siding · More Info

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Maybe like this one?

Rie · More Info

Trim-"Clean White" a Waverly/Valspar color from Lowes
    Clapboard-"Cottage White" Behr from Home Depot
    Door-"Coventry Gray" by Benjamin Moore

someday soon thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

BM Capitol White. I've just used it in my kitchen and really, really love it. Obviously get a sample can of any color you want to try and paint large swatches of it and look at it over the course of a few days and in different light. Light is everything when it comes to paint colors.

This is from a designer's blog

Shades of White Paint Colors

My simple real life truth ~
    Linen White has been my go to favorite off-white for as long as I can remember … but Benjamin Moore’s Williamsburg Collection has the most beautiful creamy off-white Capitol White CW10 that has nudged its way into my top spot.

http://intentionaldesigns.com/paint/my-top-5-shades-of-white-paint-colors/

• graywings123
    8 years ago

Did you look at the exterior colors suggested by Cloverdale? Here is a link to their suggestions:

Cloverdale exterior color suggestions

• User
    8 years ago

I used Benjamin Moore Monterey White in most of my downstairs and painted the trim bright white. I like it in most of the rooms but it does change with the light. There is one small room with lots of windows where it reflects the grass and takes on a greenish tinge when it is very bight out side.

Creamy whites, especially outside, are tricky. The sun will really highlight the undertones. And it will also reflect the colors around it, grass, trees, trim color etc.

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

SW Touch of Cream in the Duration formulation. Perfect paint, well not "paint" actually but "coating" with lifetime warranty for as long as you own your home...

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

The pics you posted looks like it needs another coat or two actually.

• someday soon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes it does need more coats. The battens have 3 coats and I've stopped them from doing anymore because its just so yellow. I'll look into all the alternative suggestions. thank you!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

someday soon, that first house you posted, I could eat that color with a spoon. Yummy. I like the Presidio Heights (nice hood) house that Annie posted. I'm a huge fan of SW Antique White which I have in all but one room in my house, including the ceilings. It will not go yellow on you. It's the perfect rich creamy white.

I see you're in Canada and I don't know what kind of paint you have access to, but any good paint store should be able to match another brand of paint's color. All of my SW AW was matched/mixed by Kelly-Moore and it's a dead-on match.

• amykath
    8 years ago

Wow! This takes me back! We have a warm yellowy cream stone and the same siding as you. I made a giant mistake and had the whole board and batten and other siding painted Gray Owl. It looked horrible. I then asked the painter to use a color I cannot remember and he only did one coat and that was the end of it. Also only in the front, which was fine by me as that was really all it needed. Now all I see is GRAY! Someday I will need to remedy this. However, we still have so much to do on our new build that is still not finished.

Either way I hope you find a color you love! Sometimes you just have to buy sample paints and a lot of them to figure out what you really want. Put them on every wall and look at the from every angle on any time of the day. That includes sunny and cloudy days. I know from experience how hard and frustrating this all can be!

gw · More Info

Here you can see how gray the siding looks. Which is fine. However the front is what really matters. Of course, I haven't a pic of it. I would trade you my gray for your yellow! ;)

• Bunny
    8 years ago

aktillery, funny how gray can affect us. My house exterior is gray with white trim and it's always looked adorable to me. I need to get it painted this year and will probably stick with a similar gray. But gray interior walls make me cold/sad. I love wearing dark gray. Gray either works, or it doesn't.

ETA: I live next door to a yellow house with blue trim. I love my neighbors and don't mind looking at their house, but I would never choose that pale yellow for myself.

• amykath
    8 years ago

Linelle, I would love our gray siding if it weren't for the yellow toned stone that it is next to. It makes the gray look so sad. In the back there is no stone and I love the light gray. I also agree that interior gray walls make me feel a bit sad too.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

ak, got it. That would make a difference.