SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

how to "do"companion planting /"living mulch"

User
8 years ago

Last year I seriously began the Herculean task of trying to seriously mulch my very, very large "garden" I put this in quotes, because much of the space in my woodland which I'm making into a rose garden is still completely uncultivated,choked with thick wild grasses and brambles. The cultivated areas where I have the roses planted were all so weedy that I couldn't really plant any perennials successfully; they all became suffocated by weeds. So I bought a truckload of wood chips, and collected cardboard, and put down the cardboard and dumped chips on top. It was an enormous amount of exhausting work, and now, less than a year later, I see that it's time to re-do the whole thing! It DID work very well at taming the weed situation, however,but I am afraid that if I don't intervene again fairly quickly I'll be right back where I started.

This is not going to be sustainable, I can see, because the chips are expensive,so I can't really afford to make them deep enough ( with one truckload I was not even able to do the whole garden; not even half of it, I think...) and it is physically impossible to re-do such a huge job every year anyway! So I definitely want to get some perennials in there;it would be prettier anyway,and I think that if I concentrate on evergreen ground-covery stuff I will be able to get the upper hand on the weeds. My questions: how far away from the bases of the roses should I plant my grouncover plants? I know that many of you have perennials with roses: how do you go about feeding the roses with plants all around their feet? (I want to continue to use my organic matter-type fertilizing, rather than a product, because my soil is not very good and does need organic matter). Any suggestions for plants? I already have a few campanulas ,iberis, and five ceanothus repans,but I'm thinking of ordering more campanulas, phlox subulata,dianthus, veronica,ajuga and creeping thyme. Another question: I can see that it will be impossible to do it all in one season; the garden is just too big, and I have no running water there, so I have to be very careful about taking on too much. But too few plants won't make any real impact on the risk of weeds coming back. How many plants would you start with,for example? How far apart should I space them?

Please excuse the long post, and thank you all in advance!

Comments (20)