SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

living mulch and some companion planting-pics

cabrita
15 years ago

I am going to attempt to post some pictures of living mulch and companion planting that seem to be working. Here are a couple of shots of one of the rose beds, with some 'living mulch'

Here is a close up showing lettuces, greek oregano, arugula, garlic, onions, and at the very back some cilantro.

Here is some more living mulch for my semi-dormant peppers. I also grow cole crops among my peppers. The mulch is green oregano, marjoram, thyme, parsley and cilantro.

Here is my root crop companion raised bed. I will be making another one of those (raised beds from carrots). I have carrots, beets, some chives, radishes, and the tall herb is cilantro. What looks like broken pecan shells are...broken pecan shells, courtesy of the squirrel that keeps poking holes in the raised bed (they look for pecans I guess?)

Here is another bed full of companions/mulch, including nasturtiums. You can see the nasturtiums are attractive flowers, well worth growing just for the cheerfulness. All parts of them are edible, flowers, leaves, and seeds. They act as a repellent crop or trap crop. Also in that bed I have sage, thyme, several cole crops (brussel sprouts, cauliflowers, tatsoi (or pak choi?), chard, cilantro, onions, and all the way in the back is some celery. The space in between the beds is weedy right now, I plan on covering with wood chips pretty soon.

Here is another one still in progress. I have peppers and brassicas here also, some of the living mulch is cilantro, some of it is creeping oregano, and I also have fenugreek greens there to help with my soil. The fenugreek will be removed when my perennial brassicas (lacinato kale) grow (if they grow, they are very abused transplants, but one of them is taking, yes!). At the very front, really tiny seedlings, these are celery. I plan to use as mulch for tall peppers plants. The pepper plant shown around the middle is a dormant transplant. It might or it might not make it, we'll see. I have some dill transplanted on the bottom right corner, and you can see a sunflower starting to grow too. Sunflowers are used for attracting beneficial insects and as trap crops.

Here is one showing my attempts to use some crops as trap crops, or 'sacrificial' crops. These are collards, planted near the center of the garden since i noticed the Harlequins go to them first. I transplanted an ugly cactus type that was not doing much for the garden and dedicated this corner as a trap crop. You can see they are mulching the roses quite nicely, and for some reason, the pests have not found it (yet). In the mean time, I am enjoying some nice tender collards. Also enjoying some peas, from the two plants that 'volunteered' at the right spot. The empty bed on the left is for a 3 sister's garden, I am waiting for the other corn to get a head start so I can plant the field corn, then the squash and beans. Right now all I have is some nasturtiums to help the squash and some volunteer lettuces and cilantro.

Comments (4)