SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Your own idea of Eden

First of all, Eden is what I dream for my garden to become. But since "Eden" has connotations of wild nature, perhaps another word serves for another gardener. What garden do you dream and work toward? What is the ideal toward which you work?

I have a lot of space and I live in the country, with the garden--actually, two or three gardens, depending on how you count them--surrounded by fields and woods. This conditions the style of the garden: a carefully tended, formal style that would be appropriate in a town garden would be out of place here. We're also starting with poor ground which imposes limits on the kinds of plant I can currently grow: mostly shrubs, subshrubs, and trees, plants that can compete with the grass and weeds. I like a wild-looking garden. I do like the grass in the paths cut--which doesn't happen as often as I'd like--but the grass is of different species and has veronicas and clover and dandelions growing in it. Annual grass grows in the beds, too, along with any variety of annual herbaceous plants: geraniums and euphorbias, others. I hope over time to get other, ornamental, herbaceous plants in the beds, but the beds will continue to be full of self-sowing plants among the roses and shrubs. I notice I keep talking about grass. I love seeing rosemary growing under a young pine and emerging from this season's lush grass; later I'll be hunting strawberries, which I've planted here and there (note: plant more strawberries). I like the bedstraws (Galium) which grow of themselves, and the bulbs of star-of-Bethlehem and occasional muscari that pop up. Nature is a fine collaborator: she has great ideas. My aesthetic task is to supply structure--paths, hedges, terracing--and greatly increase the variety of plants growing in the garden.

Your ideal?

Comments (28)