SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poppiesandmarigolds28

New to Tenn. Wanting to try new beans/peas. Need some education!

Tanya
8 years ago

I've discovered a whole new world of beans/peas as I've been researching green beans that will grow well in heat and humidity. Originally from CA and last 10 years in midwest so I've had some exposure to new things like Okra ;) etc. But it appears that there are more options in the south than just my typical green beans (LOVE Dilly Beans) and I want to learn more!! Every year I try to grow something new in the garden. I think I would like to try some limas and or cow peas... and then I was confused by shellies and dry... and then short cut and greasy beans? Wowsers! Where does a girl even start!

I've grown mainly bush beans but am wanting to go vertical. I've grown a small variety of pole (rattlesnake, a flat podded yellow roma type, blue lake) but not very successfully to really get a feel for flavor etc (that was the summer that I tore a muscle in my calf and things didn't get weeded and watered like they should have.... I just finished one of my last jars of dillies last week. They were a french type yellow flat pod? so yummy!

Dry beans in my family life are pretty much pintos and occasionally black beans. Once in a while a can of white canalinni beans ;) But as I discovered cow peas while googling limas (hated them as a kid but loved the Christmas calico Limas and never would have tried it back in MO if I knew it was a lima LOL). Since I don't have access to any amish/mennonite bulk food stores here I thought it would be a good thing to try and grow my own christmas limas. But then reading about the creamy zipper cowpeas... wow! they look and sound yummy! How do you harvest limas and cowpeas throughout the season? How do you tell when they are ready? What are the benefits of shelly stage and dry stage? Where should I start? And the greasy cut shorts? What a bout those LOL?

Comments (6)

Sponsored