SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaspal

Advice please: Wolf convex-steam oven in food-prep island or??

kitchengirl
8 years ago

I would appreciate advice from Wolf convex-steam and other combi-steam oven owners, and all people who weigh-in on kitchen design issues.

We are building a 15.5' x 20' kitchen with a 9' x 3.5' island, prep on one long side with counter-height dining on the other long side (4' aisles on all sides of the island, cabinets wrapping the island on walls opposite both long sides and one short side).

We are installing a 30" Wolf wall oven in the long wall shared by the dining room (36"-30"-36" OR 30"-36"-30" cabinets). I plan to raise that long counter to 38" to gain a little easier use of an under-counter oven.

We also will install a 24" or 30" (trimmed) Wolf convection-steam oven. I have changed my mind repeatedly on where to place the two ovens, starting with stacking both at one end of the dining room wall (more traditional, better ergonomics in one oven, but less elegant-looking and bulky), to placing both on the shared dining room wall in the 30"-36"-30" configuration (with 3" legs on either side of the 36" cabinet in the middle), to what I'm thinking now: placing the 30" wall oven in the middle of the dining room wall and placing the 24" (untrimmed) convex-steam oven in the prep island, thinking that I may use it a lot more than a conventional oven in warming food and day-to-day cooking.

It is 12' measured on our plans from the center of the prep-side of the island over to the dining room wall & oven and 8-9 of my steps when I actually walk it in the house (doesn't add up somehow).

— I think it would look nicer to have both ovens on that long wall in the 30-36-30 configuration.

— It surely is more practical to put the convex-steam oven in the island, except I don't know if it will feel HOT and I don't manage heat well these days ;-}.

— I am also wondering about placing both ovens on the dining room wall if guest are over and sitting at the island: the oven/s are behind them and if I have to open the door/s, it may be awkward or more awkward with two ovens there. This may not happen much, though, or only very informally, as when I cook for a dinner party, people would be mostly out of the kitchen.

The final option for the location of the convex-steam oven is under the 36" induction cooktop, 4' behind the prep part of the island. If I put it there, I'd be wasting 1' of storage and the warming drawer would move from under the cooktop to the island, instead.

I know this is very detailed, but I'm trying to put the variables out there at the beginning.

Thanks very much!

Comment

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida