SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Family stories that become family "language"

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We've probably all got stories that have been handed down from previous generations, or that even took place in our own time, where something so odd or funny took place that it came to define something among family members. It became our family's own special "language", if you will.

I was chatting with my dad the other day about the purchase of a recreational toy he and my mom recently made, and he described it as "a box of yoyos." (A box of what?) My forebears were dirt poor and had to make do in a number of ways. One day, a cousin of my great-grandfather's came into a little bit of money. Not much, mind you, but it would have put a meal on the table or bought some fabric for his wife so that she could make a new item of clothing. So what did he do? He went out and bought himself an entire box of yoyos. For some reason, that seemed like the very best use of those funds to him at the time. Our family has laughed about that for many, many years, and the term "box of yoyos" has come to mean something that we bought when we didn't really need it.

Any stories of your own to share? :-)

Comments (47)