SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bensmithmath

Why not plant veggies early, in area with rare/no frosts?

bensmithmath
8 years ago

Hi All, I've been living in this house in LA for a year and a half now. I planted some tomatoes right when we moved in, two septembers ago, and a couple plants are still alive, but pretty leggy and sad because I've been ignoring them for most of the past year. I think this is one sign that we've had zero frosts here. Maybe it's our microclimate or something. On the other hand, we had a couple mornings this year where I had to scrape frost off of my car windshield... does that count as a frost? It didn't seem to affect any of my plants; maybe the ground was keeping them warm.

Anyway, my main question is, why not plant tomatoes (or other veggies) in the fall or winter? What are the reasons to wait until March/April, if there's no risk of frost in January/February? I read somewhere it maybe has something to do with how mature the plant is in the summer, but I didn't really understand why.

I planted some indeterminate tomato seeds last week. I'm hoping that the plants will get very big (climbing up a trellis thing) before summer and give me tons of tomatoes, but maybe you can tell me why this is a bad idea.

Comments (10)