SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vegbed_mia

Is it too early to start planning for fall veggies?

vegbed_mia
12 years ago

I've got ants in my pants. I want to start planning what veggies I will be starting where and when I will be starting them.

Among the things I learned from this, my first, experiment year of planting a vegetable garden, that there are things I can start from seed earlier than I did, that I can put some things in the ground earlier than I did, and that observing consistent high/low temps is far more important than doing things in a particular month (for example, that tomato stops setting fruit when overnight lows are consistently above 73 degrees). I also figured out that I can start some seeds indoors, where temps are consistently between 75 and 78 degrees.

Keeping all of that in mind, I think that for this fall, I want to approach timing based on temperatures. Does anybody know, or know of a resource where I could find, temperature range guidelines for germinating various veggie seeds? I'd also like to find out how much temperatures need to drop before I can start putting things in the ground without cooking the roots in the daytime heat, if anybody knows where I can get that info.

Comments (31)