SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rylanz

Plaster Lath, peeling paint in entire house, uninsulated brick veneer

Rylan
8 years ago

I need to make a decision on the best way to tackle this house. We bought an old 1955 house with lath and plaster, and brick veneer. We are in Zone 5 cold temperate Ontario, Canada. Turns out, the entire house had been painted, 3 times, with bad wall prep. As soon as moisture in the air gets near an edge of paint, say when doing patch work, the wall continues to peel down to the original oil on plaster paint. I had started trying to peel the loose paint away, washed the walls, patched the holes, but the paint continues to peel. I imagine it is due to poor adhesion combined with the micro condensation of moisture in the air. This issue is prevalent in the entire house. We are impartial about plaster, but our main intention is to remove the brick veneer, hang a double wall, and get our insulation in the walls up over R30(yes, we are starting with the attic and getting it up to R60 with blown in cellulose).
We don't give a damn about resale value, as the primary purpose of our house will be to house us and our descendants economically, into perpetuity (however long that may be). Keeping in mind the long term plan, should I strip the entire house, or gut it and redo with drywall? P.S. We also aspire to live healthy, sustainable lives, and avoid the use of harsh chemicals... just to complicate things.
Any advice about how to proceed would be appreciated.

Comments (9)