SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Show us your winter windows

barbmock
8 years ago

Here's my kichen window, loaded up with aloe, hoya, Thanksgiving cactus, haworthias, anthurium, sansevieria and others. What's in your window?

Comments (64)

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

I guess mine are definitely not as large and pretty as the rest of the gang on Gardenweb, but I'm hoping to get them that way this upcoming spring, now that I know a lot more about fertilizer choice and soil. Please pardon the lucky bamboo cuttings that are rooting in the glass jars in photo 1--gonna get those in soil come Spring! If anyone has any feedback on my plants, positive or negative, I'm open. : ) I'm still a novice.

Photo 1: (although, I think GW cuts off borders):

White pots hanging: English ivy (I love this stuff, but I admit, it is not looking that awesome--live and learn)

In rectangular background container: English ivy

Front Left beige pot: Chinese Evergreen

Front Middle brown pot: Peace Lily (purchased as a baby!)

Front Right white pot: Marble Queen pothos in an old IKEA trashcan--just cut the vines to share with my mom

Rear Left Back: Pothos

Rear Right Back: Dracaena Dorado ($1.00 Lowe's clearance find)

Photo 2:

Far Left and Right: Mini Eugenia (new purchase)

Direct Center: Pothos cutting

Next Left and Right: 6" Parlor Palms

Misc · More Info

Misc · More Info

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

Mentha, in photo 9, what are the #2 and 3 hanging plants? Very pretty. I doubt I can grow them in my low light apartment, but I was curious. Thanks!

• Related Discussions

show me your window boxes

Q

Comments (17)
    Very nice photos and window boxes everyone! I love the metal boxes on your home, Flora. Would love to see a shot of the house with the boxes in place. Super hints about taking care of drainage and planting in liners too. The white shutters and box on your shed look so attractive, Libby. Such a nice touch that makes it seem homey and cared for, not just a plain wall. It must have been hard to keep, Edna, but the combination of flowers was very pretty. The pretty blue bench/box is a great idea for low windows! My grandmother grew what she called angel wing begonias and they were similar to yours, bellarosa. Very nice foliage as well as flowers! Hope more people with boxes will post photos!! Debby
    ...See More

Show us your kitchen window treatments!

Q

Comments (11)
    I made these a few years ago with Pierre Deux 'Geraine' fabric that I got on eBay for about $18 per yard. Now that PD has gone out of business, a seller has 5 yards for $89.99 a yard, but you do get free shipping! They've sold 5 yards of it, as the auction started out with 10 yards and there 5 available now. Here is a link that might be useful: PIERRE DEUX KRAVET GERAINE TOILE FABRIC
    ...See More

Show us your kitchen window treatments!

Q

Comments (1)
    I was thinking of posting the same question yesterday. It seems that so few of my inspiration kitchens have window treatments. I hope you get some pictures!
    ...See More

Show me your Kitchen Bay Window Treatments please

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you sew or have a friend who does? This is my favorite pattern site. If you look in the Picture Gallery you'll see many wonderful treatments done in different fabrics, colors and styles, some on bay windows. It's a lot of pretty eye candy. Enjoy! Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living Curtain Patterns and Drapery Patterns
    ...See More
  • Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

jentssu926 those are a plain green Hoya carnosa and Hoya curtisii sp? aka 'Stripes' I love all the white pots maybe one day I will color coordinate my pots but for now I just have plastic and clay pots.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jentsu, I think your plants look very pretty and healthy. I really like the white pots, they look so fresh and clean. Don't worry, they will grow and crowd your windows.

Mentha, tell me about your Epiphyllum oxypetallum, the tall one. Does it flower? I'm glad to hear that your car is okay.

8 years ago

Yes it does flower, it is a jungle cactus with the common name of "Night Blooming Cereus". You would care for it much like you would its smaller cousins Thanksgiving cactus or Rhipsalis. It blooms large white flowers whenever it wants to. Unfortunately I didn't see the bloom the last time it bloomed to get a picture of it but I did smell it. You can grow it in a hanging basket or in a pot, they kind of want to go everywhere but they are about one of the easiest plants to grow. They are very easy to root and you can prune them to keep them in check or even cage it in a tomato cage. I love mine. If I had room I'd have two or three more of them. My first one I got at Stanleys. I had it for about 5 years before we moved back to California. Unfortunately I had to give it away.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, yes, I had one of those. It did bloom, but you really had to be there when the time was right. As a matter of fact, I may have one now. It was given to me by Lena. My puppy chewed it into pieces last spring, but I saved them and they are growing again. I don't know for sure if it's the same though.

8 years ago

Well if you decide you want some, I can always send you some. I have plenty to share.

• Danielle N
    8 years ago

Too cold outside where I live to have my plants by the window. Here is my begonia that is doing much better now that I'm not drowning it.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very pretty!

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

Wow, such a pretty begonia. I have never seen this in Georgia nurseries. There is a sumilar looking pothos or philodendron that is also a hard find. Can't remember the exact name thiough.

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

Oh, and thank you, Barbmock. Those were plastic pots that I wound string around, painted, and sealed with mod podge. The string is found at the dollar store and the paint is just cheap acrylic white paint. If anyone nee

barbmock thanked jentsu926
  • jentsu926
    8 years ago

Needs a tutorial, just ping me. Sorry, smartphone died while I was trying to post earlier.

• lmontestella
    8 years ago

Gorgeous Begonia, great spots.

from last Winter, 4 diff. E miliis, west facing over the A/C.

Aloes in kitchen window (west).

L-R: Aloe variegata, A. rauhii, A. jucunda, A. nobilis & more A. jacunda. Far right, the terra cotta bowls contain my Hydro Hoya kerrii.

Sunnier

my Hydro Hoya kerrii

w/ A. striata hybrid to the right.

Hoyas, west window, kitchen corner, H carnosa, smaller left, H pubicalyx upper basket, asst'd other Hoya bits below it & to the right.

Fire escape window, Gasterias, Haworthias & Crassulacae:

further right

E. descoinsii w/ the clothespin, 4-5 o'clock to that, a Sans given window space as it's propagating.

Those are most of the window residents.

Lena

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Lena,

You are lucky to have those sunny windows. I enjoyed looking at your collection.

8 years ago

I think I had E. descoinsii for a while. I remember going for a trip to San Francisco and on the way back we stopped in Castroville to go to a huge nursery there. Somebody put it on top of the car and we drove off. It did survive the fall but it was never the same again.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had one too, it was a very slow grower, but so cute, just like a tIny palm tree. I don't remember what happened to it.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lena, I love your hoya kerri, it must have taken years for it to grow into that pretty plant.

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

I second that. What unique leaves! I have never seen one of these before.

• lmontestella
    8 years ago

Thanks for the nice words especially abt this plant, my pride & joy.

This is the Hydro H kerrii's bloom at 2.5 yrs, of age (3 yrs ago), hydro grown from a cutting. Since several of you've remarked on it (if I can encroach on the thread Barb, I'll write more on wknd, expecting snowstorm). The pic above bloom is current,

My pix don't look sunny (recently shot on cloudy days) but when it's sunny, it's pretty unobstructed & can get really strong sun.

Many of you have really nice plants & interesting collections I'd like to walk through.

Barb, your plants are catalogue gorgeous. I'm trying to remember what Epi I gave you (she says smiling).

Jentsu, I agree abt how great your collection looks in the all white pots, they look very healthy too.

Mentha, Didn't realize you were so smitten w/ Schlumbs, wow. Nice Hoyas & yes it's H curtisii, Stripes is a name I think EA invented for it.

Barb, thx for the invite to post winter set ups, I don't think I ever showed most of the different window groups before.

Bedtime in Brooklyn,

Lena

• Julia (1meanmop)
    8 years ago

ok. I am bad at pictures. most of plants live just to the side of the windows. in my living room I have 5 9 foot by 36 inch windows, three that face ease and two on the west. have nothing blocking the direct sun so they are bright.so kind of like a green house if it was more humid. i have a few green plants but most of mine are bloomers I have african violets, peace lily, amaryllis ,Poinsettia, phalenopsis, easter and christmas cactus pothos, jade, and a few other cactus and assorited potted plants. When I look at all the pictures I am like well I don"t have any of that. Guess I will just have to keep on the look out to see what else I can sneak in to the house.

8 years ago

Lena,

There used to be a GW'er that went by Growhappy. She got me into Schlums. They don't require any different care than Rhipsalis or Epiphyllum. Some of them came from California with me, others I got this last December. They are small for the most part and have a look to them that is pretty even without the blooms.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Julia,

Your living room must be a great plant room too. We would love to see pictures, they don't need to be perfect. You have so many nice plants.

Lena, please tell us more about your hydro growing. Do you feed your plants?

We are going to have some bad weather on the east coast this weekend. Everybody, please stay safe!

8 years ago

Please everybody do stay safe. We went from snow to rain. Our car is still stuck in the mud, but after he gets paid, my husband is going to call a tow truck to pull it back on the road. Then we're expecting more snow this weekend. Fun times.

• lmontestella
    8 years ago

Yes everybody pls. DO be careful out there. There are coastal flood warnings in my area, I live across from a bay of water. I'll be staying close to home w/ the plants & reading up here.

Mentha,

I know, I grow a few TC/CC myself, just never 'met' anyone who collected so many, & by name, you do that, right?

Here's a pretty little window detail, I really like the shape of the leaves. Finally some true CC.

Julia, many if not most of us have stuff far less than perfect, we just don't show it, I'll fess up ;>)

This is a cutting from the Hydro H kerrii, but the leaves are abnormally shaped, not their usual heart shaped selves, kinda ugly, no? I want to see how the next leaves come out so, I separated it & have put it into mix.

Barb,

OK, some hydro stuff, I fertilize somewhat, when I think of it for the Hoya & once a season maybe for my Hydro Sans. let's see here ...

Not the views I wanted but, it's the Kerrii's roots, dangling down. The black is a netted basket containing Leca stones (fired clay balls ) into which I have the Hoya stems seated.

Set up is more easily seen in this Sans pic,

This plant is also abt 5 yrs, old, grown from a leaf. I was just abt to wash out the bottom liner.

One thing I do consistently is use aquarium grade charcoal bits (just a pinch) either among the Leca stones or sometimes down into the water like the Hoya where I can see the roots are greenish, keeps the algae from taking over. At least that's been my experience. I never change the water in either setup, I just add more maybe weekly, as needed. But I always leave the Hoya's water level a couple of inches below the roots.

I've been a bit lazy this Sans. needs a bigger basket which I don't have, it's growing upward, making divisions as it rises, but also getting heavier & top heavy. The clips to the rod are keeping it from toppling sideways.

Am bleary eyed from scrolling thru scads of pix looking for the ones I wanted.

Be warm, safe & dry everybody.

Lena

8 years ago

Lena, I do try to keep all my Schlums named but this year I was lucky to find any so I did end up with some NOIDs. I tried contacting each grower to find out what varieties they grew and did get names for a few, but for the most part the growers were unresponsive. I do not have a true CC though. Maybe one day if I find a rooted plant, but I'm in no hurry. If I could find more Rhipsalis, I'd shift my preference to them. They are a lot easier to grow and come in a lot of unusual forms. FWIW I just like epiphytes. I'm not picky in that regard.

I love the sans. I had never thought to grow one in hydro except maybe the grassy ones. I had to give up about 30 different Sans, a few different hoyas, and 20 or so different opuntias when we moved to our last place three years ago because they were considered a liability. The hardest to give up were my red flowering opuntia, a Sans Koko and ehrenbergii that I had bought from Ed Eby's son, and a huge double fan patens, and a blue ping. There was another plant I got from Toni. Oh and a really nice Sans parva gilt edge I had got from Norma. Maybe one day I will build up my Sans again, for the time being I only have one small one.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's how it looks out my front door today. The roads are closed. It doesn't take much to shut us in. Too many hills and curves. Lena, did you have the big blizzard ?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

It's madness @ my house too! Camera battery died. I'll take more pics of the rest of the windows soon.

This window is broken, at the moment, but south-facing. Half of its' light is still not bad.

8 years ago

Very nice plants Tiffany! I had never thought to use those hanging brackets to make a shelf. hmmm Now I'm stuck at home with an idea. It's going to drive me nuts all day. lol

Tell us about those little plastic caddies. What do you keep in them? How do you water them?

I have been waiting for this hibiscus to open for weeks now and it picked today to do it. This was supposed to be a double yellow, There is also a double red in the braid. I have never seen this one.

We didn't get too much snow but maybe it will be enough to put my roses and mints to sleep. You can still see grass, but everybody's driveways are still covered in snow and we're still getting flurries.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow Tiffany, you really know how to fill your windows. I like all the combos.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mentha, your hibiscus picked a good day to open. A breath of spring on a snowy day. The wind is blowing like crazy today. I'm hoping no trees blow over.

8 years ago

I haven't checked the radar yet but I'm pretty sure the snow has passed us now. We're supposed to get more later on this week. Which is kind of sad when last week this weekend was forecast at 55 degrees. At 7 am it was still pitch black so I'm very happy to have a little sunshine now. Today was the best day for my hibiscus to open and it looks like I will have many more days of blooms soon also.

8 years ago

Those bracket things & shelf definitely helped with some creative cramming this winter! Very inexpensive too.

Here's a closer pic of one of the plastic basket combos. I don't have enough space for each plant to have its' own pot, and prefer this kind of look anyway.

I found these little basket things on clearance for .50 each & got a little stack of them. The above pic is from a few days ago. Everything's leaning because I keep the one side facing the window.

The below pic is 11/14, when I put that together, and shows the sides. I put landscape fabric on the sides (inside) so the soil wouldn't fall out & snipped some holes to stick cuttings of ornamental purslane (Portulaca umbraticola.) There's a hole in the bottom of each section. I just take it to the shower like any other plant when it gets thirsty.

After the purslane finished blooming, I trimmed it way back, as seen in the 1st pic.

Here's another window (and chair.) LOL! All of the Coleus pieces are cuttings stuck in pots until spring.

8 years ago

Thanks! I have been looking at baskets with holes in them but scrapped the idea because I was worried about the mess. I never thought to put landscape fabric in them. That would help a lot.

8 years ago

Happy to share my madness! Yes, nothing but water comes through, except where I snipped holes to stick cuttings through. DH found a roll of landscape fabric in a repossessed storage shed & it's really handy for potted plants. I also used it to line the bottom of wood-box mini gardens to preserve the drilled drain holes for as long as possible (after a coat of urethane.)

Also used it to line this wire thing, which used to be the lid of a tiny conservatory/Wardian case. Completely open on all sides, akin to the Kokedama of your other discussion, just a diff shape. I have space issues too.

8 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I'm getting cabin fever so I may venture out into the wilds of Knoxville and see if I can find some shelves, sphagnum moss sheets, and landscape fabric. Oh and the elusive Epihyllum guatamalense monstrosa EA said was shipped out this week to stores. I've already tried two stores, I still have about 15 more in the metro area to check before I give up.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I Googled that epi. I want to name it "Curly Girl". How neat! I hope you find it.

8 years ago

I already have a small one. I'm just tired of waiting for it to grow up to be anything. EA always packs its pots full of cuttings so I'd have a better chance of blooms that don't abort.

• Hans
    8 years ago

From Holland with love. Winter has been quite gentle to us so far. 12 C right now.

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Excited because I can finally post a windowsill pic!!! These are in my kitchen!!!!

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Tiffany you have the most beautiful heartleaf Philo I've ever seen!!!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Hans and Jamilalshaw. Nice plants!

8 years ago

TYVM! I've had that plant since '96, put in that pot in '12 I think. I don't plan to repot that one unless/until it becomes unhappy. It's in a 5-gallon bucket.

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

That's really impressive Tiffany

8 years ago

Barb, did you ever find "Glacier" pothos? I have about 6 small pots of it I bought for a hanging basket. I can keep one out for you if you haven't.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Mentha, I am wanting to make a trip to Pike nursery and check there. I really haven't had time to go to Lowes and HD, but I will soon. Don't save one out of your basket right now. I would think they would be easy to find in the next few months.

8 years ago

TY, Jamila!

• hardcoreviolets
    8 years ago

A bit dark - it is overcast here. My bow window, facing east.

Dog tail in the bow window.

Kitchen window, facing west. The fan (with googly eyes lol) is for air circulation, as the garden window sticks out quite a bit away from the house.

French doors facing west. The sans is 5' tall.

• mariava7
    8 years ago

H. papilios in my bedroom

• barbmock
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing your pictures. I really enjoy seeing each and every one of them. I think it helps me get through the dark winter days! Now I have a nice long wishlist. Love that amaryllis, just a wonderful plant.