SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethanqsimmons

At my wit's end here...

ethanqsimmons
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This post will mostly consist of pictures, since I believe those will be the most telling. I'm trying to grow hot peppers and cucumbers from seed, and I have no problem getting them germinated. Humidity dome, heating mat, then as soon as they sprout, I remove the mat and the dome. However, the seedlings then, grow incredibly slowly, have various colors of spots on their leaves, and just look sickly overall. My general parameters are as follows:

Enclosure: 4'x4' grow tent

Light: 800 W LED hanging fixture, on 16 hours a day. Just moved it closer to the seedlings today after seeing that many of my seedlings exhibit symptoms of light deficiency.

Temperature: Between 65 and 75 degrees F

Soil: Either 5:1:1 or Gritty Mix, the former with garden lime added and brought to a pH of nearly 6.5, and the latter with gypsum added.

Water: Hadn't watered for a while until yesterday (that's why everything looks soaked), and then watered with tap water with pH adjusted to 6.5

Air: I regularly open the doors to the grow tent to bring in fresh air

Fertilizer: Applied it weakly some weeks ago, thought the seedlings showed signs of nutrient burn, so I stopped

Until yesterday, I had been trying to avoid the newbie mistake of overwatering, by essentially not watering at all. I decided yesterday that the soil was far too dry, and used to soaking method to water everything pictured. I realize that doesn't help diagnose the situation as some of the plants were probably suffering from underwatering. Additionally, all of the seedlings were started in peat pots, which I know people have mixed feelings about. After reading about the mixed experiences people have with them, I decided to refrain from using them in the future. For the 5:1:1, I did not use composted bark, but I know that many others on this forum do the same and don't have issues. I would really appreciate any input anyone can give. Thanks!

Edit: Actually I have so many pictures uploaded that I'll just link to them: https://goo.gl/photos/e1EUJFbnxQ9gJtG7A

Comments (17)