SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ja001son

Heatpump only blowing luke warm air.

ja001son
16 years ago

Im at my wits end here.

I recently moved into a new apartment, ~1000 square feet. it was warm when I did so.

the unit in the apartment is a Janitrol Heatpump system with normal and "emergency" heat. (1 stage cool 2 stage heat)

the thermostat that came in the place was OLD, ugly, and unreliable.. when I want want it cool, it would move the slider in tiny increments untill the ac kicked on.. but then the ac would not kick off untill it was freezing in the place... but once it kicked off it would stay off till it was uncomfortably hot.. long story short it was a POS..

I brought it up to managment and their solution was that they would just get a stat out of another unit..

I asked them permission to purchase my own, as I really wanted a programmable one anyway. they gave me the go-ahead and I purchased a Hunter model 44860 touch screen thermostat.

the available wires are:

Yellow

White

Green

RED

BLUE

ORANGE

BROWN

on the OLD unit (janitrol) they were connected as such:

YELLOW --- Y

GREEN --- G

RED --- R

ORANGE --- O

WHITE --- W2

BROWN --- E

BLUE --- C

via the directions I hooked the wires up to the new stat as such:

YELLOW ---- Compressor Stage 1

WHITE ---- Auxillary HEAT

GREEN ---- FAN

RED ---- 24VAC Power Supply

BLUE ---- 24VAC Common

ORANGE ---- Cool mode powered reverse valve

BROWN ---- Emergency Heat

the following connections on the new stat are not connected to any wire:

Compressor Stage 2

System Monitor

Heat Mode Powered Reverse Valve.

the install of the stat went well and everything worked perfectly. it was in the mid 70s outside when I did the install but i tested all modes to make sure everything worked. the AC blew cold, the HEAT and EMHEAT worked fine, nice hot air.

well a few weeks later I noticed the ac had been running for quite a while and the air coming out was not very cold.. going from 78F to 74 was taking over an hour.

so I called maintence and they said they would check it out..

out of luck I showed up when they were there and the guy was at the outside unit with what looked like a propane tank and had it hooked up to the line.

he told me to go cut on the AC and he would let it fill.

I asked him if it was low, and he said "probably" and informed me that his gauges dont work, so he was just going to leave the tank hooked up untill he didnt hear coolant flowing in anymore. and that he has had to do this on this unit before. this struck me as odd but I didn't put much real thought into it at the time.

after he did that the AC was indeed cooler and things were just peachy, till it got cold..

now here is where the issues begin..

ill start by explaining what it does..

if its in the 50s or warmer outside.. the heater works fine.. nice hot air..

when it gets below 50 or so.. it blows hot air at first.. for a min or so, but then the air is luke warm.. at best. you actually have to hold your hand up to the register to even tell a difference.. from a few feet away.. it just feels like the fan is blowing.

it was doing this with normal heat, so I switched to EMHEAT.. and the stat flashed "system error" and the heating was no different.

NOTE: I have changed NOTHING since I did the install, and I did not get this message before..

I feared it was possibly the thermostat, so I put the old one back on.. and still the heat and EM heat were anything but hot.

having ruled that out I put the new stat back on.

I of course started researching the problem and I read the having too little or too MUCH coolant can cause problems like this, then I flashed back to the guy telling me his gauges were broken and that he was just going to fill it till it wouldn't take any more.

So i called management and the maintenance guy came out, he came in to check the problem and as soon as he saw the new thermostat.. the claimed that was the problem.. he said that it probably doesent have EM heat and that thats what I need to use (EM heat) I showed him that the stat did indeed have EM heat, but he wouldn't look any farther into the problem. I asked him to check the pressure in the lines but he again told me, his "gauges dont work" so he couldent, but he assured me "it is full"

mind you these are the same rocket scientists that hooked up my new washer lines backwards, and broke my electric garage door opener .. so my faith in them is non existent at this point.

I fancy myself a pretty good problem solver but this thing is most defiantly kicking my butt.

Im guessing the next step is to call and pay for someone to come out who knows what they are doing.. but im a little irritated that the incompetence of the "in house" maintenance guy is going to cost ME money.

Im just homping something I mentioned will jump gie somebody a clue as to what the problem could be.

thanks for any help.

Jason.

Comments (11)