SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theloud

Source for Black Pearl Thornless blackberry?

theloud
8 years ago

Years ago, I decided to plant a few blackberries in my garden. After much research, I chose Black Pearl Thornless, a newer variety reputed to have particularly aromatic, flavorful fruit.

The plant I ordered arrived dead, and the nursery offered to replace it the next year, but they no longer offered it by them. Some kind gardener sent me one, but then I moved, twice, and so never got any berries.

Now that I'm settled and ready to plant blackberries again, Black Pearl seems to have vanished from the Internet. Am I just fated never to taste these berries? Does the variety have some fatal flaw I barely escaped finding out?

I know I should probably just move on and set my heart one one of the newer varieties instead. I'm taking recommendations for thornless blackberries that have real aroma and flavor, not merely sweetness and tartness. I'm now in zone 7b, near Atlanta, GA, USA. The thorny blackberries growing wild in my backyard don't have much flavor, and I'd like to replace them with something better.

Comments (2)