SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Looking our best/keeping our looks fresh

tinam61
8 years ago

The filler thread got me thinking of some other things we do to keep ourselves looking our best. I've mentioned many times that I've always put my best foot forward when it comes to my appearance. Maybe I'm vain, maybe not. I do feel we are each worth the effort! Women often take care of everyone else, we should take care of ourselves. What are some things you do for you to keep yourself looking your best, keeping a fresh appearance?

One thing I do not understand is not updating a hairstyle. This is one of the things I think dates/ages so many women. And while I know many women don't like make-up, and I personally don't wear alot, but just a touch will do so much! I look at people, or see pictures and I hear my mom's words come out of my mouth. Put on some lipstick! LOL I'm fair but with dark hair and dark eyes, I need a bit of color on my lips to balance things out. Of course I don't wear it 24/7. Anyhoo, So:

-updated hairstyle

-a light touch of make-up. Find what works best for you (colors, type, etc.) and use a bit to enhance

-a good bra!

-sunscreen - I've done this for years now but wish I had been more careful in my teens

-exercise

-healthy diet, not only makes me feel better but my skin definitely shows the benefits

-stylish clothing, again find your flattering colors. I'm not talking about stuff that looks too young - like you are trying to hard to look younger, but definitely nothing dowdy either

Just a few thoughts. Share what works for you.

Comments (102)

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Well, I don't know how I missed this party!

I'm 62 and have been highlighting my hair since I was 35 because it really is an ugly colour. As I get older I'm still highlighting it my colourist knows to change the colours as I age because your skin tone changes. I'm not interested in looking 35 at 62 because it looks silly. I don't have a lot of grey so no basecoat and I'm allowing the grey at my temples to show a little - I mean, why not? I'm 62 and there's no fighting that.

It's the same for make-up - those colours and types of make-up that we wore at 30 are not appropriate at 60. Even the colour of your foundation and blush needs to be changed.

I think that one thing that prevents one from looking aged is by standing straight and walking strong.

My dermatologist has said that the two things we can do for ourselves as we age is to drink lots of water and to take care of our feet. Make sure you dry between your toes, keep your nails clipped and put cream on them every day to keep them smooth so that no cracking happens and wear proper shoes. Apparently as you age, circulation gets poorer and if your feet become infected in any way it is really difficult to get rid of which of course, affects your walking/standing ability. Exercising becomes less likely and limping will cause hip and back issues, etc

• debrak_2008
    8 years ago

bpathome, you may be a candidate for invisalign (invisible removable "braces").

I'm still looking for a new mineral makeup that isn't filled with junk like bismuth. Would love to find a local distributer as the few I find are online only.

• Related Discussions

Looking for the best vining plant to cover our chain link fence.

Q

Comments (6)
    Will passion vine grow in zone 4a as a perennial? I know that P. incarnata is one of the hardiest, but not sure it's hardy to that zone. If you try honeysuckle, try to get Lonicera sempervirens or a cultivar of it. They are gorgeous and attract hummingbirds, and will do fine in part shade. Also, Sweet Autumn Clematis would do fine on a chain link, too. It flowers in late summer to early fall, with masses of tiny white blooms that are very fragrant. Ampelopsis brevipedunculata (porcelain vine, and I think the name may have been changed by the all too underworked taxonomists), has mottled green/white foliage and produces berries that are purple, blue, white, hence the name "porcelain". It is in the grape family. Aristolochias are vines that do well in part shade, too. They are old-fashioned vines that people used to shade their porches way back when..... A. macrophylla would be the best for you (big leaf pipevine). You may also be lucky enough to get some pipevine swallowtails to lay eggs on them. They do flower, but rather the flowers are usually hidden by the huge heart-shaped foliage. It is called pipevine because the flowers are shaped like meershaum pipes. You could also use other clematis varieties that tolerate partial shade, but I find they do not really provide good coverage of a fence. While your perennial vines are growing and filling in, you can plant some annuals back there, like sweet peas. Those should do well for you in your climate, and there are so many different colors available on today's market. They usually flower in spring. I don't know if you will get a sustained period of heat long enough for morning glories to bloom in your zone. Canary flower would probably do well for you as it likes cooler weather. If I am wrong about passion flower or morning glories, please correct me. Susan
    ...See More

Which color scheme looks best on our 1940s home? (see pics)

Q

Comments (3)
    I like #2, with the gold-yellow door and the gray-taupe colors. Why? I dunno, the colors and the intensities just seem to harmonize very nicely., and the paint colors relate best to the brick colors. At least on my monitor that's how it looks! Looking at it from the front I dont know if its the classic 1920s bungalow - looks sort of 40s-50s to me?
    ...See More

How to keep cut bloom looking fresh?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Nicole, I'm so sorry for your loss. If the article above is too much info for you to handle in your state right now, just cut the roses in the evening before dark. Leave the stems as long as you can, about 18 inches would be nice, but not always available. Then take off all petals that will be below the water and dunk them into a bucket of warm water (like faucet warm, not too hot or they will wilt) like bath water heat. Then after they sit in the warm water for about an hour put them in the refrigerator. This will condition them enough to last a few days and make it through the funeral. Keep in mind however, that some roses will close in the dark cool conditions of the fridge, so take them out first thing in the morning so they have time to acclimate and re open. Bright light (if not sunshine) causes them to open, so if you have a few that are still closed, put them in the morning sun or by a sunny window until you're ready to go. Note that roses can absorb water via the entire cane, not just the end of the cane, so its good to have as much cane as possible under water. This is why its good to cut them longer. Don't think that just because the tips are in water, they are getting enough moisture, the more stem you have under water, the better it is for keeping the rose hydrated. If you do not how floral preservative, its fine, just keep the water clean. Austins as a rule don't last very long after being cut, but for the most part you should get at least a good 2-3 days if you follow the refrigerator conditioning regimen. Some varieties last longer than others. I hope your roses somehow help you get through this difficult time. Good luck.
    ...See More

Looking to renovate and update our 1950s kitchen. Looking for ideas

Q

Comments (12)
    @ Belaria Seriously? Keep the brick? Nah! I'm old enough to remember when this sort of edifice was new and the latest au courant thing in all the home decorating mags. It was a terrible idea then, and is more so now. Think about it. As a cooking area how does it rate? It does not have any "countertop" on either side of the cooktop. Where do you put hot pans? Across the room? How about storage? Where are the pots, pans, condiments, sauces, hot pads, etc -- all the stuff you use in cooking? Since this bomb-shelter was built kitchen design has moved on to arrange kitchens in task groups in which everything needed for a task such as cooking is located in the area where the cooking is done. It would be impossible to do that with the bunker still in place. There is no storage in this "cooking area" to speak of. It violates at least a half dozen of the NKBA's kitchen planning guidelines. I could go on, but I'm getting a headache. Sorry, but the brick really has to go. As to the rest of the kitchen, I agree with herbflavor. Hire a cleaning service to give everything a good scrub. Update the technologies (add electrical, new faucet, sink, range, refrigerator, etc.). Leave the cabinets alone except to load them with the latest pull-outs, swing-outs, drop-outs, fall-outs and organizers of all kinds, maybe replace the tile floor, save scads of money by not re-doing a kitchen that does not need re-doing, take a nice vacation to Miranmar with the money you saved.
    ...See More
  • fouramblues
    8 years ago

debrak_2008, I've been using Mineral Fusion for a couple months, and really like it. I buy it at my local organic market, but I see it's also available on amazon.

• debrak_2008
    8 years ago

fouramblues, I just looked at their website but I don't see a loose mineral makeup. What foundation of theirs do you use?

• fouramblues
    8 years ago

Nope, not loose, I use their beauty balm and concealer. I'll try the blush when I've run out of my old stuff. I really like the look and feel of what I've tried.

• debrak_2008
    8 years ago

fouramblues, Thank you!

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

Another victim of too much sun in my teens and twenties here...before they really told us about sunscreen and skin cancer!

I don't have a lot of wrinkes per se (benefit of having oilier skin) but it's the texture of my skin as I get older (51) that bugs me. When I see myself in bright light, or in a photo taken in bright sunlight, my skin looks bumpy and just not smooth. Hard to describe. I didn't have terrible acne but I did have frequent breakouts, more from age 30 to 50 than when I was a teenager. Still occasionally break out now, especially when my skin is dry (like right now. ugh.). What do I do about skin texture? I have lots of spots too -- freckles I don't mind, but the sun spots aren't so cute.

I am getting those vertical lines above my lip, too. Not deep lines, just minor, probably only visible to me so far, but they make me sad! Does anyone have a solution for those? They're still pretty subtle and I wonder if I can do anything to prevent them from becoming worse.

I have my hair colored -- not a different color, just to cover gray -- and have since I was around 30, because I started getting grays in my mid 20s! I don't think gray hair would look good on me. I admire women who can make it work.

I have changed my makeup so that I wear a much lighter foundation than I did when I was young. I generally use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. Anything heavier seems to settle right into any lines I have and makes me look older. So even though my imperfections are easier to see, I still think I look younger without heavier foundation. A coat of mascara makes a big difference too in helping me look more refreshed, but I have yet to find one that I really love.

I try to get regular manicures but I keep my nails short and usually only use fairly neutral/sheer colors.

• ainelane
    8 years ago

For the vertical lip lines, you can use botox around the mouth as a prevention.

It only requires very, very few units but it unfortunately doesn't last long. Maybe 6 weeks. But it's the only thing out there to prevent those lines. Once you have etched lines, then a deep laser treatment is needed, so way better to try to prevent!

• User
    8 years ago

Sue, you might be a good candidate for retin A, definitely helps with skin texture.

• User
    8 years ago

Sue - Also get a derma roller.

• User
    8 years ago

Sue, read about skin resurfacing. I don't need/never had but I've read about it on my derm's FB page out of curiosity. This article also mentions it versus a derma roller.

• llitm
    8 years ago

Sue, if you are not using a good skin care regimen I would start there. Vitamin A & C, serums, hyaluronic acid (helps to retain moisture), moisturizers, home or professional peels can completely change your skin. I'm a derma roller and derma pen user (alternate them once or twice a month) and believe they are beneficial as well. I'm also a firm believer in the benefits of a Clarisonic brush.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I am lazy. I have Rx retin A cream and have just started using it again. I have a moisturizer that has hyaluronic acid and ceramides in it, and I had a serum that started getting old looking, so I tossed it, but have just ordered a serum that was recommended on that 50 and Flashy blog (oh, yes, I am a sucker for a blog recommendation!). And oh yeah, I have a clairsonic -- maybe I should use it more than once a month? Okay, I am inspired now to get more serious about using the tools that I actually own.

The dermaroller scares me...guess I don't need to explain how I feel about botox! I could be convinced to try it, though. What type/brand do you use, shee and dsg?

I love GW, by the way. Yes, these are shallow and frivolous issues but always fun to get opinions and ideas from others!

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bought an inexpensive one off Amazon, .5mm. I use it on my face, neck, and chest. Unfortunately, I purposely tried to get as tan as possible in my teens until about mid 20s and can already see my skin texture changing as a result. :( While not a magic cure, honestly does make a difference in how my skin looks. I use it a few times a week. My chest already has some of that mottled sun damaged look going on and I can see the largest improvement there. The skin was getting weird and somewhat bumpy. The texture is now pretty smooth. My skin always looks brighter the day after using the roller and it's a different look than just exfoliating.

It's not that bad. I dislike pain and would describe it as uncomfortable and annoying. Afterward it feels like a sunburn and you do look red and a little weird. Only use it at night before bed.

I've also been using organic cold pressed rosehip seed oil at night. In the future I'll get a script for Retin A.

rosehip seed oil info

Any exfoliating I like to use baking soda. Of course, never before using the derma!

In general I agree with a lot that's been said. I think it's good to reevaluate clothes, hair, and makeup and makes tweaks as needed. Even for minimal makeup I feel contour and highlight make an astounding difference on any face. I agree good posture always looks strong and healthy, and something I need to work on as I sit here slouching! Water, sleep, eating healthy, and sunscreen. Of course it's most important to feel comfortable in our own skin.

tinam61 thanked User
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

I havebeen avoiding this thread because I am going through a bit of a slump. Like Sue, my skin isn't its best -- I keep thinking it's time to pick up a clairsonic. I've also lost 18 lb which you'd think would be a wahoo-- but it was fairly fast and it has really made my face and chest saggy. On top of it all, my hair seems to have grown MUCH faster this last month because I am ready for a cut/highlight a good 2 weeks before my next appt.

In response, I replaced a bunch of makeup and bought a few new products. I haven't changed my makeup routine much since I hit 50 but I did start wearing eye makeup (i rarely did when younger) and have settled on a pink/nude eye with bronze eyeliner/black mascara for everyday. Sometimes I will add a touch of a smokey blue or purple.. but that's pretty rare. A smokey look doesn't help my small, far set eyes. I think the biggest change I've made is to switch from pink tone blushes to more of a pink-coral-brown. It's much more understated.

Can't say I've updated my clothing style too much but I generally stick to the classics with a few fun pieces with fun lines. I don't consider myself dowdy at all..until you look at my feet. I have given heels for most occasions. I have kept a few cute (vs comfy) summer shoes but winter is pretty understated black suede boots or a nicely shaped loafer. I HATE round toe shoes. I have a large foot and i think a round toe makes everything look like a slipper. The one notable exception are dansko clogs which I believe I am going to add back to my wardrobe after a break of a few years.

I keep up on my nails when I am working. Mostly. I have a gel manicure that is about 4 weeks old now. It looks fine-- unchipped-- but it's pretty high off my cuticles. The look neat if you aren't right up on my hands. I am very overdue for a pedi.. but that will be addressed soon too.

I think the only thing that really gives me pause as I move into middle age is the comment I keep reading about updating our hairstyles. My hair really doesn't respond well to other styles... and the shape of my face really dictates the length. I can do variations on a bob-- but that's about it. I don't have any gray yet-- but I keep cheering it on LOL. I SHOULD go a very pretty silver if I follow in the footsteps of my mother and grandfather. I will welcome it when it comes. In the meantime, I highlight my medium to dark brown hair to layered golden and ashy blonde. I hate the brassy look so I stick with the stylist who has done the best with my color.

The one big thing I will do this winter is update my glasses. I was deep into the search and then I caught a nasty cold. I stopped trying on glasses so as not to pass on my germs (or pick up others) by trying on frames. This will be a big change-- both in my sight (i'll be getting progressives) and in my appearance.

tinam61 thanked Funkyart
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

My chest already has some of that mottled sun damaged look going on and I can see the largest improvement there. The skin was getting weird and somewhat bumpy. The texture is now pretty smooth.

My chest looks the same way - mottled sun damage that wrinkles strangely when I move a certain way. I hate it (and am still ticked off at myself for being such a stupid sun worshipper back in the day). Please tell me exactly how this roller thing works? I am very interested.

And speaking of the hotandflashy blog, I bought a lipstick that she rated highly: Too Faced Shimmering Spice Spice Baby (oh, these silly names!), and I really like it a lot. It's a pretty color with just a touch of shimmer and it's very moisturizing and has some staying power - just like Angie said.

UPDATE: I applied the Too Faced lipstick at 7:45 this morning. It's now almost 11:00 a.m., and I have eaten a bowl of oatmeal and had three or four cups of tea. Color still remains. I'm even more impressed at the staying power of this stuff, and my lips don't feel dry at all, as is often the case with long-lasting lip color.

tinam61 thanked IdaClaire
  • terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

I use Amlactin lotion all over my body, including my chest and neck, and have really noticed an improvement in those two areas. I buy it at Costco and they usually gave it on a coupon every couple of months.

tinam61 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I think there are 2 approaches to hairstyle. One is to keep updating it, the other is to not change it at all. Like Claudette Colbert, people will say you haven't changed a bit...but that's because your hairstyle hasn't changed a bit.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Terriks, is this what you use? It's gotten very good reviews on Amazon.

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

This is a great thread. Just the thing to make me step up as far as appearance goes.

Funky - I want to know how you lost 18- fast ?!? That's for starters. Seriously how did you do it?

I'm making a derm appointment. My skin has started to show age spots. Hands and chest more than face. Which I hate worse than wrinkles. My mom used Retin-A for years and had such great skin from using it, despite having skin cancer from gardening and living an outdoor life. She started using it in her 50's.

Hairstyle - Time for the twice a year haircut. I keep my hair on the long side - all one length. Twice a year I trim it to shoulder length. It can be curly but looks best if I straighten. I went prematurely gray and colored my hair until I was 42. Because it was naturally dark brown/black with my coloring it just always looked wrong. Plus due to my thyroid issues it was falling out. It was horrible.

So I stopped coloring at 42 and started keeping it blunt cut and long. It is now almost all silver and I still get compliments every time I go out when I fix up and not keep it in a pony tail. As in people stop me on the street which is weird. I NEVER got compliments before when I had hairstyles and colored it. So even though sometimes I get the itch to change it up as I age, it is working as far as looks, I guess.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I so enjoy hearing from others about products that actually deliver what they promise. I really like L'Oreal's Oleo Therapy line. I love the way it smells, and it makes my hair so soft and shiny. After my hair is fully dry and styled, I'll rub a bit of the Perfecting Oil Essence between my palms and smooth it down the length of my hair. Works wonders, I swear (for me, anyway).

I also run a tiny amount of Moroccan Oil through my hair before I blow dry. Love that stuff, too. I think the combination of those two products must really make my hair smell nice as I get complimented on it a lot (after a hug, or as in when I went to have my car washed recently and put the window down to talk to the attendant - the first thing he said was, "Wow, it smells NICE in your car." LOL!).

• terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

Yes Jen, that's the Amlactin that I use. It has a bit of an odd smell when you first put it on, but it dissipates quickly.

Shee, do you put anything special on your skin after you use rge dermaroller? I just bought a 0.5mm one from Amazon. I've tried it on the back of my hands, which didn't hurt much, and on my face which hurt more!

tinam61 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

Missymoo, I also get random and unexpected compliments about my hair. Now that it's gotten to shoulder length, there's more of it--duh--and it's less common for women with gray hair to wear it longer. Mine is thick and in good condition, so there's that. I also think many women consider not coloring their hair but are afraid to, mostly the commonly held myth that it will make you look older. So they look at us with gray hair and we give them a bit of courage because we don't all look like escapees from a nursing home.

tinam61 thanked Bunny
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

I tried Amlactin based on an earlier recommendation on GW. Tried it only on my neck at first and I had some kind of weird reaction to it -- my neck had big red spots for days. I don't have sensitive skin and have never had a reaction like that before but needless to say, I haven't tried it again because I don't want to look like I have hickies on my neck! So if you're going to try it, maybe try it on an inconspicuous spot at first!

Off to look at dermarollers and shimmery spice spice baby lipstick...

tinam61 thanked Sueb20
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

Just saw this on Facebook, figured some of us could relate!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How well I remember baby oil (with iodine mixed in). As for the hairstyles, I think you can keep a basic cut/style but make some updates occasionally. Add a few face framing highlights, add layers instead of all one length, try some long bangs, etc. If you insist on wearing the same style for years, make sure you have a good and flattering cut. Re the lipstick, I'm going to check into that brand. From the name of the color, I don't think I can do that color - if it has any brown at all, it is not flattering to me. I really need the pink shades and bright works best on me. I like a really creamy lipstick, with some shine. Never fails if I find a color I really like, it will be discontinued! HA!

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Here's the Spice Spice Baby. It's called a "warm nude." (Sounds dirty, no?)

tinam61 thanked IdaClaire
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

Very fine, very straight hair doesn't give the flexibility to do layers or modify bangs too much. I could vary color but don't (unless you count the pink streak I added on my 40th birthday)

tinam61 thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

The trick is to find what words for YOU. Lots of trial and error.

Through my twenties and thirties, all I did was a bit of blush and mascara. I always looked years younger, and it wasn't uncommon for me to be proofed in my twenties.

Fast forward, I am approaching 62. I would like to think I look a tad younger, but I am probably fooling myself. Nowadays, I use cover up for under my eyes, eyeliner on the bottom lids, mascara, blush and now I attend to my eyebrows! I never thought about my eyebrows but now get them thread and i use eyebrow shadow.

My hair has always been hard. Very dry and frizzy. Good products do make a difference. I use Aveda for shampoo, conditioner and all the styling for before and after blowdrying.

I color my hair because I would be salt and pepper. I like this look on men, but I have yet to see a women carry it off successfully. I do like to see women with gray or white hair, but for that, the key I think, is a current hair style.

It is funny to see the men with their gray hair and the women as blondes or brunettes.

A friend's husband says, "As the me get grayer, the wives get blonder."

tinam61 thanked eld6161
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Ooooh, I like that Spice Spice Baby. adding that to my list of needed cosmetics.

I have colored my hair since I was in my early thirties. Not because my hair was greying but I liked the depth it gave to my hair. Now that I am 62 and have a good bit of grey, I would like to see what it looks like but I cannot handle the grow out stage so I'll keep coloring.

When I found out I was gluten intolerant I dropped eleven pounds quickly. Cutting way back on carbs because of going gf was wonderful. Now I want to get into an exercise routine and would like to do weight training. For those of you who weight train how much weight should you start with? When I had my battery shop I lifted heavy items every day but now that I'm retired my weight lifting is relegated to two adorable babies!

tinam61 thanked Holly- Kay
  • User
    8 years ago

Holly-kay asked:

"For those of you who weight train how much weight should you start with?"

I would suggest you start out with very, very, very light weights. You need to get your form perfect. I see and hear of so many people who start weight training and because of poor form and too heavy weight, they injure themselves. If you have access to a personal trainer, I would definitely make an appointment with him/her and get a program started.

• User
    8 years ago

Tina, let me know what color you pick and how it looks on you. I was considering ordering one myself but wasnt sure about the color, I was thinking maybe Rasberry Rose. Sounds like we have the same type of complexion, very fair. I tend towards cool pinks.

ellen, I have seen many women with salt and pepper hair who look gorgeous. The right makeup and hairs style definitely is a must though imo.

tinam61 thanked User
  • tinam61
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for sharing that Jenn! Rose, I will let you know. I am fair but have dark hair and eyes, so the pale colors do not look good on me.

Funky, my sister has fine, straight hair, but she has a good bit of it. She wears hers short and layered. Do layers not give you some volume? My business manager also does the short/layered, but I notice her hair is really thinning (she has medical issues that probably contribute). She is in her 40's and has recently been sporting lavender streaks.

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread, I have learned from it! Lots of new (to me) products to look into also.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't know, I think you can keep the same hairstyle forever and still look great if it's a fantastic haircut. Look at Anna Wintour -- she's had the same haircut forever, and if anyone knows about style, it would be her. I suppose if you are wearing a trendy haircut then you would want to update it from time to time but some classics never die.

tinam61 thanked User
  • llitm
    8 years ago

Whenever I see pix of Anna W., I silently scream, "For the love of God Woman, update that bob!":)

tinam61 thanked llitm
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Some folks do make their hairdo their signature...Edith Head comes to mind who certainly knew how to design clothing but always had those big round glasses with the very severe bangs as her thing. Certainly made her recognizable for being her own person. Maybe it's fashion designers...Betsey Johnson certainly has a signature style in her hairdo that looks like it was hacked at by hedge trimmers...Diane von Furstenberg with her center parted loose curls...and I don't know what Donatella Versace's look even is anymore, but her hair is still bone straight bleached blond.

tinam61 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • llitm
    8 years ago

I think it would be SO boring to wear the same style decade after decade without tweaking it a little. I actually have worn pretty much the same style since high school (bob with bangs) but it has been updated over the years.

IMHO I believe all the designers mentioned above could benefit from some updating.

tinam61 thanked llitm
  • User
    8 years ago

Jen - You roll in sections. Each section, and each DIRECTION you roll 10 times - up, down, and diagonal each way. There are some videos out there. Also the roller will (should?) have instructions. I even go over my eye lids. If the roller ever starts to pull or tug, you'll be able to tell, the needles are getting dull and you'll need a new one.

There does seem to be a bunch of opinions as to how often you should use a roller and how often you should wait between since the skin is turning over. I've heard everything from a few times a week to once and wait five or six weeks to do it again. Waiting that long feels way overkill to me. I think all skin is probably a little different.

They make longer needles and they're normally used for scars. You can find charts online for what the different sizes are recommended for. I did read that you shouldn't use longer than .5mm for the skin around your eyes.

They also make special little ones for around the nose/eye area. I just tried to make it work the best I could with the regular roller.

Terriks - I just use the rose hip seed oil. I've heard people using all sorts of special serums and peptides, etc. on their face afterwards.

Funky - I think a bob is classic!

tinam61 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

I agree it is confusing to know how often to use the dermaroller. I think you can use the shorter ones that only pierce the outer layer of your skin as often as you want as they are only for helping with the absorption of whatever product you are applying. But the longer ones, that go to the deeper level and create collagen formation, are only supposed to be done once in a while, so that new collagen can form. This website has lots of information on this:

http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermarolling-explained/

tinam61 thanked User
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

Well, if I had thicker hair, I'd love to try more styles.. and if i had curly hair, I would perfect the messy look. ALL of them. Messy bun, sexy toss, long wild curls. Alas, I have baby fine, very straight hair. I wear the cut that works the best with my hair. In my teens, I used to perm it-- which lasted a VERY short time before I had to do it again. I am thankful to have a color I like and very soft, shiny hair (though my dying thyroid has taken some of the shine and softness away). I do brighten up the color just a bit in Feb/March but it's ever so subtle.

Though I highlight, the effect of keeping it up is that I appear blonde. There are people in my life who believe I am naturally blonde (in their defense, I was blonde when young-- and despite my dark natural color, I DO go blonde naturally in the sun). I did go back to brunette about 2 yr ago-- and I very quickly returned to blonde.

Missy, though I have been working on healthy eating and working to lose weight for the last 6 months, I didnt do anything special to lose the weight NOW... unless you call taking on a boatload of stress as doing something special! If anything, I am eating a little less well-- as through the holidays I had minor splurges every few days. I do have issues with my metabolism and there is a school of thought that believes increasing calories one day a week will help spark the metabolism. I didnt do it intentionally but that's really the only change I can really point to. I have increased my general activity -- but again, nothing really notable. I am going with "stress"... but I am hoping to keep the momentum going as the stress is reduced.

tinam61 thanked Funkyart
  • tinam61
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had to google Anna Wintour, didn't know who she is. Hmmm her hair is okay I guess. I'm with DSG though on a hairstyle for years being boring. If you're happy with it fine, I just don't want the hairstyle I had in highschool. Funky, you've shared pix and your hair is lovely, as you are. I hope your stress is reduced soon!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Thanks, TIna! You are sweet.. the stress will work itself out. It always does (and it has already lessened a great deal) :)

tinam61 thanked Funkyart
  • Oakley
    8 years ago

I've basically had the same hairstyle for 20 years now. I won't cut my hair short so I keep it right at the shoulders.

Our lifestyle determines our hairstyle I think. I don't work outside the home so I need hair long enough for a ponytail. Shoulder length hair is versatile in that I can curl it different ways so it's not always the same look when I go out

tinam61 thanked Oakley
  • missymoo12
    8 years ago

Funky - Thanks for the update. I hate to hear of stress as a weight loss tool but from past experience that is what works for me too. Well I should say til menopause hit a few years back...

I can't do short hair either as with my texture, cowlicks and my face shape, it just is not something I care to take the time to deal with anymore. The constant trims to maintain shape, $$$ color appointments, and still spending ridiculous amounts of time in front of the mirror was just not working for me.

tinam61 thanked missymoo12
  • tinam61
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Oakley, I remember when you shared a photo of your hairstyle here.

• maggiepatty
    8 years ago

I am getting close to 50 and the biggest change I've noticed is my feet. I keep them well moisturized and do my nails same as always, but the foot itself looks bonier and thinner-skinned and just old. My toes even look longer. I wear sandals 9 months a year so this is hitting me where it hurts.

I have had good luck with my skin, which I attribute to wearing SPF 15 every day since age 24 and not smoking. I just started to get a line between my eyebrows this year, even though I am a big scowl-er due and squint-er due to poor vision.

I do wish I paid more attention to my manicure, but I don't. I buff smooth every Sunday night and leave it at that unless I am going to a special event.

I think updating eyeglasses and shoes is important for me to feel my best. I am hunting for new frames now and always on the lookout for comfy shoes that don't read "old". Some funky/casual styles that gals with smaller feet can get away with look like orthopedic shoes on my size 10s.

Others' responses remind me that I need to drink more water and sweat sometimes.

My DDs are makeup hobbyists and they really like TooFaced, but it hadn't occurred to me to try it. Hearing that the lipstick lasts may send me rummaging through their stashes--pale lips are my genetics and I hate them!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Funky, we must have similar hair. If I could change one thing, it would be my hair. It is medium-brown, fine and thin and at 67 it has seemed to get a little thinner. Mine has always been soft and shiny and is beginning to lose some of it's shine but I can fix that with a little product. Also because of my long-ish neck & face, I am limited to hairstyles. So I have pretty much had a similar blunt cut hairstyle for a long time. I have varied the length a bit, tried highlights/lowlights, had bangs for a time and then grew those out about 8 years ago. Just wish I could wear something cuter.

Speaking of thinner skin, one thing I noticed going into my later 60's is that dreaded thin-skinned hands. A big bump or scratch on the back of my hands turns into an ugly red bruise! Ugh! Wasn't expecting that so soon.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I've noticed that my dang ears seem to be getting larger.

Gah.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Ears and noses never stop growing. Seems a bit unfair.

• maggiepatty
    8 years ago

I was looking at my ears the other day and thought about having my earlobes trimmed. I don't want big ears!