SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fizzymartini

A Green Awakening: my new flatmate!

fizzymartini
8 years ago

I have a self-diagnosed grey thumb. I'm saying this because I have managed to kill, previously, an orchid, a little cup of coriander, stargazer lilies and also a pot of English ivy, which I thought was supposed to be a hardy little thing. But my cup of basil and parsley are still alive, as is my pretty sizeable kalanchoe thyrsiflora... so. Maybe not entirely black.

I've also never had a pet, but always wanted one. I figured I had a lot of love to give, and not really a suitable outlet.

But a few days ago, I got a brand new flatmate.

Last week, esconced in a teeny-weeny hotel room on a work trip abroad, I was absently scanning Gumtree for houseplants (oh what a life I lead) when I spotted an ad for this beauty who has, admittedly, seen better days. Nevertheless, I shot over an email and set up a time to meet.

And here she is! Her name is Lyra. Named both after the spunky and determined character in my favourite kids' book series, His Dark Materials, and, well, herself. Behold my new ficus lyrata:

She's only about 7cm shorter than I am!

In preparation for her arrival, I tried to read up as much as I could about the care of this finnicky plant, including on this forum. But there's an overwhelming number of posts, links, videos and threads. So naturally, I thought I'd add to the melee by starting a brand new thread, obviously (...sorry).

So, let's take a look at her.

She has a sturdy trunk but I can't necessarily tell from this if she is healthy.

...OK, I'm really posting because I think I might need all the help I can get. I clearly don't really know what I'm doing.

I've read a lot about the stress of a move and adapting to new surroundings, plus I know winter is the dormant season for her, so I'm just waiting for the inevitable leaf drop (I've seen post-move pictures of pretty much just a stick-in-the-mud).

All the reading in the world of advice for other people's plants and problems does not necessarily equate to relevant knowledge and experience. Especially since Lyra has now been through a few things that I understand are particular bugbears for fiddle leaf figs:

1. She's moved house, and in a relatively clumsy way (she sat rather awkwardly while I drove very carefully across the city with her in my passenger seat!).
  2. The levels of light and temperature are certainly going to be different to what she was used to. I live in London, UK and the weather is pretty changeable (we went from the warmest winter on record last month to sleet and frostbite in the past week). Plus my poky little mid-level flat isn't the warmest place (so much for retaining heat from above and below - I have never felt this). But I've placed her in front of my west-facing patio door and am playing with having the blinds open/partially open/closed - not really sure what she'll best respond to?
  3. From my read-ups, I think from her markings that she might be chronically overwatered. One of her leaves certainly seem to show the same kind of spotting I've seen pictured elsewhere:

But it is only one leaf that exhibits that brown mottled spotting.

The blackened leaf edges are evident all over though, not just the top or the bottom of the tree.

^(underside and top side of same leaf)

And anyway, the soil is definitely still pretty wet.

(She leans a bit one way, so I moved the soil around and packed it a little on the leaning side, so that she stands a little more upright).

My first actions when I got her into my flat was to wipe all the leaves down with a wet kitchen towel, then mist all over, just a little. I've since left her alone. Fertiliser will only come into play a few months down the line, so I've not got any yet, but when I get to crossing that bridge, I'm thinking Baby Bio, which is what my mum uses with awesome success on her orchids - any particular thoughts on this?

I got a little of her history: she was bought 8-9 months ago and watered every fortnight - last watered a week ago. Her "exes" told me they'd been advised that the brown spots can be tackled through "a soaking, to dry, and then another soaking" - but I'm hesitant to do that when other (conflicting!) advice online suggests to let her dry almost completely so that the black bits become crispy, then to cut those off before the fungus can spread. So yes, any and all thoughts would be welcome as I enter this brand new world of actually taking care of something and keeping it alive!!

Comments (40)

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Congrats on your find! Coriander and parsley are biennial, After the first year it goes to seed and isn't very good for eating. All except for the orchid, I'd grow outside, they make good additions temporarily, but for the long haul they do better outside. The fact that you failed on them do not equate a black thumb. I would give this guy as much light as possible and wait until spring/summer to play in the soil. Just be careful not to let it sit in water and let the soil dry out before watering again.

fizzymartini thanked Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
  • Related Discussions

Sloooooow Awakening

Q

Comments (17)
    BD21, if I had to guess, the white would be 'Shirayukihime' due to the different colored stamens than 'Henryi'. Not sure if 'Sensation' would make it....it says some lilacs to the northern reaches of Zone 9. Thanks Jim, we just gotta hang in there, we know they'll bloom someday, right? Juliet, you are such a sweetie. What makes me smile is when my girls come (nieclings) and they discover something new in the garden they have never seen before :-) Their step grandmother had to take the Access bus to get here and she won't have many left so this one was special. inga, that red is a smaller version or I could have never had it here. I chose it to play off my green and red Japanese maples that share the front yard with it. Rita, your roses are incredible this year. I was going to post on your thread to tell you so but just got so far behind trying to get everything done. I still remember when you were first envisioning those new beds. As owners to design, we can only hope they turn out how we imagine them, you should be proud ;-) Thanks Krista, one thing about things being late, they still know the order of go so they give you time in between to prepare for the next flush. Rhodies and azaleas in particular are a lot of work to deadhead. Inga, thank you. I was actually thinking about you because I have some escallonia above my pond that has tried my very last bit of patience and is going to get SPed. Rugosas are used extensively up here for freeway median plantings (low maintenance) and I'm thinking about either a combo of them or maybe some OGRs. When I get a chance I'll post a pic of the spot. Carol, that Sensation is really growing on me. It's about 10' tall and is between a pink rhododendron and that pink Homebush I posted a pic of. The fragrance whaffs down to the swing where we sit in the evening with the poms and the cat. This is a pic from last year.....
    ...See More

Rose shots today with my new camera

Q

Comments (14)
    One work-around I've found for that, Marlorena, is to back up and take the shot from a further distance. The camera will likely get all items in focus, doing that. Then you can take advantage of the great resolution the camera has by cropping and enlarging that portion of the photo, so it is like a close-up. Another trick is to experiment with the plane of the shot. By slightly depressing the shutter button, the camera will show you which areas are in focus in the field of view by surrounding those with green rectangles. If you tilt the camera slightly or shift it to a slightly different view, you will often find you can bring more of a view into focus by doing that kind of adjustment.
    ...See More

My KBG lawn is 50% green and dead blades

Q

Comments (13)
    A "pack" is usually offered by labs as a pre-paid soil test which includes a bag for the soil sample and a box addressed to the lab and sometimes postage paid. Laboratories that offer (most do) a "pack" will mail it to you after you order and pay for the desired service. Alternatively, you can print off an soil test order form and enclose it with your check for the test using a soil sample in your own zip lock bag and in a box which you can get at the post office. Before doing anything, may I suggest: Proper and consistent soil sampling is a must in order to reduce inconsistencies and get the most accurate results possible. Proper: When digging the samples, use only high quality steel tools. Use only plastic buckets for holding and mixing the samples. Avoid brass, galvanized or other zinc coated utensils. Otherwise, the sample can be contaminated. If you do not have a soil sampling tool (auger or probe), insure that your soil sample is an even thickness vertical slice and not a wedge shaped slice. Take 8 samples, evenly dispersed, from each 60 x 60' area. Try not to sample any sooner than 30 -60 days after an amendment application. Consistent: Take all samples to the same depth (4" for turf) and do so each year of testing. Use the same "range" of soil for each sample and from year to year. e.g. soil from the 0" depth down to the 4" depth (preferred, but remove the soil surface and any fertilizer prills it may contain). or from 1"-4", or the 2" to 4" depth, etc., if so suggested. Stay consistent. Take the samples in the same month each year. Use the same lab each year. Use an established professional or university lab that offers a broad menu of testing processes, reports results in ppm or lbs/acre and at a minimum, reports CEC/TEC, Ca, Mg, P, S, K, Na, OM, Mn, Zn and Cu. Verify that they offer ammonium acetate cation and buffer pH testing and that their fees are reasonable. Verify if they use Mehlich III (unless otherwise recommended) as their default extractant and extra points if they offer Bray and Olsen too. Do the vinegar test on a small sample. If it fizzes, request that an ammonium acetate test be performed. If it doesn't fizz, either ask for or be prepared to request that (if the test comes back with a soil pH less than 6) a buffer pH test be done. For labs, in addition to those you linked to: There are a number of alternatives by region. e.g. A&L Eastern located in Virginia or the Carolinas for the S. E. and N.E. Another choice for the N.E. is Agro-One which is associated with Cornell (http://dairyone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Form-T.pdf). Spectrum is used by a large number of farmers in the Eastern U.S and Mid West (but their default is a buffer pH calculation for lime, not a buffer pH TEST, so make sure you request an additional buffer pH TEST when sending the sample to them), but any lab that does Mehlich III is good for Midwest soil testing. West of the Mississippi, I'd say probably A&L Western located in Cal. or Oregon. Last I checked they all offer recommendations, but verify that a buffer pH TEST (Not a calculation) and results are included (or at least is available at a reasonable cost) in the report before you order. Post back with any questions, I'll try to answer them this afternoon when I get back.
    ...See More

Awakening in the middle of the garage?

Q

Comments (29)
    Me, too, Bart! I grew both Perennial Blue and Purple Skyliner in the Encino garden where neither was really suitable. It was too hot, too dry and far too brilliant sunlight with nowhere to really grow either well. I WANT yards of "ever purple" something and just may have to beg a piece once there is something here, upon which to drape it!
    ...See More
  • Dave
    8 years ago

When growing ficus, I've come to realize most kill them by over watering. People try to give too much love in the way of water, and end up with a dead plant. The soil they come shipped in certainly doesn't help this.

Right now, give it as much light as you possibly can. Stick it right in front of a window that gets direct sunlight, not near it, but right up in front of it.

Stick your fingers into the soil and water when it feels dry. Al always recommends sticking a wooden dowel in to test moisture levels. You can also feel the soil at the drain holes, and water when it feels dry there. Just do not over water.

Flush the soil with every watering so a percentage drains out of the bottom hole. But make sure you discard that water as you never want the plant to sit in that. Propping the pot on a couple bricks would be a good method so you can water and have it freely drain without coming back into the pot.

That's your best bet for the moment.

fizzymartini thanked Dave
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

I agree with everything Dave said other than to flush the soil at every watering. While that is a key practice for top health, it's best coupled with a medium that will allow the practice w/o negative feedback from the plant. That said though, I think it's a very good idea to include a thorough flushing in the plant's very near future.

A rough sketch of how I would treat the plants is:

* Keep it warm and in very bright light.

* Carefully monitor water needs by using a 'tell' - a wood dowel rod sharpened in a pencil sharpener and stuck all the way to the bottom of the pot. Withhold water until the tell comes out clean and dry. This is very important.

* The next time the plant needs water, flush the soil thoroughly by slowly pouring a volume of room temperature water = to at least 10x the volume of the pot through the soil. This will flush any accumulation of mineral salts from the soil and sort of 'reset' the fertility meter. After that it would be appropriate to fertilize with ..... something appropriate. I looked at the Baby Bio fertilizer. The NPK ratio (the ratio is much more important than the NPK %s) is appropriate, but I couldn't find where it contains anything other than those 3 macro nutrients. For that reason, I would either confirm that it has all the essential nutrients, or look for a fertilizer that does have all the essentials. Plants do need all the nutrients they normally take from the soil, IN the soil if they are to grow normally. In the US, we're fortunate to have a few fertilizers available that DO have everything essential and in a favorable ratio. Hopefully, you'll be able to find them where you live. A hydroponics shop would be a good place to look. If you need help, let me know and I'll tell you what to ask for.

* If you decide to go as far as flushing the soil, I can also suggest what to do immediately after to eliminate excess water from the soil.

I'm not sure how much effort you'd like to put into learning about how to minimize the things that limit our plants, but how well we recognize and eliminate limiting factors is what defines our proficiency as growers. There is no question that learning all you can is the fastest, most direct path to a green thumb.

You should find this useful. It can help you avoid all the most common pitfalls we all encounter at one point or another.

Al

fizzymartini thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • fizzymartini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your kind messages, and Al, what an honour; you are quite the green-fingered celeb in my eyes :)

I have stuck the tree right in front of my west-facing patio door, although I have been toying with keeping the vertical blinds open/shut/halfway after reading and hearing all kinds of conflicting advice (including a YouTube video where they actually advised keeping a recuperating ficus in the dark!) but upon both Dave and Al's advice, opened it to allow max light exposure. Warmth is a challenge though - the UK is currently undergoing a sudden and dramatic cold snap!

I think I have quite a few unfinished chopsticks, one of which I will stick in the soil as my "tell", so that's an easy one.

Al, I'd love if you could tell me what to do immediately after flushing the soil. I think I need a bit of hand-holding before being brave enough to pedal off into the sunset (with my plants!)...

The one thing that has me stumped though is this talk of NPK ratio - a quick Google indicates that I'm going to have to travel a fair way to find a hydroponics shop! Al, sorry, please could you point me in the right direction with what I should be asking for? Do you know of any big US brand fertilisers with the right ratio, that are stocked internationally?

8 years ago

Thank you for being so kind!

You can think of a plant's energy management like an automobile battery. Every molecule of sugar a plant makes during photosynthesis is like a miniature battery that stores the sun's energy. Where an alternator is the source of replenishment for the auto's battery, the sun replenishes the plant's batteries. Putting a plant in the dark to "recover" would be much like disabling a car's alternator and driving away. The car will work only until the store of energy in its battery is depleted, and the plant will survive only until its energy reserves (molecules of sugar) are depleted; so putting a plant in the dark to "recover" doesn't make much sense because the plant can only decline w/o adequate light exposure.

It's been warm here all winter, up until New Year's weekend when temps dropped dramatically. Since NYs, temps have been up & down. Yesterday it was warm & rained, and a good share of our snow cover melted. Today we won't quite reach the freezing mark, then the lows tonight will be around -15 C. Chilly. The weatherman says we could see temps as low as -29 C Sunday or Monday, with temps below -18 C for 2-3 days. THAT's COLD. Brrrr!

After you thoroughly flush the soil, depot the plant and set the root mass on a pile of newspaper or some old folded towels. The capillary attraction in the towels or newspaper will be stronger than that of the soil, so excess water will be pulled downward and out of the soil. After an hour or so, slip it back into the pot. That will help reduce some of the limitations imposed by a soggy soil.

Fertilizers are all over the map in their NPK %s. To choose something appropriate for your plants, you need to look beyond the NPK %s to the NPK ratio. I prefer fertilizers with a 3:1:2 ratio for almost every plant I grow. 24-8-16, 12-4-8, and 9-3-6, are ALL 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers. If you divide the numbers in 24-8-16 by 8, you come up with a 3:1:2 ratio. Divide 12-4-8 by 4 = 3:1:2. Divide 9-3-6 by 3 = 3:1:2. Figuring out the ratio is like reducing fractions, 12/16 = 3/4, 15-5-10 = 3:1:2.

Most plants use about 6X as much N as P, and about 3/5 the amount of K as N. so when all the calculations are done for how the elements are reported, 3:1:2 ratios come the closest to supplying nutrients in the ratio at which plants actually USE them. This is a big plus for 2 reasons. It allows you to keep o/a fertility levels as low as possible w/o incurring deficiencies, and it's a significant benefit in that supplying nutrients in the ratio actually used by the plant, the level of each nutrient doesn't quickly become badly skewed. For example, 5-15-5 is a common houseplant fertilizer, but it actually supplies almost 8 times as much P as the plant wants or can use. For the grower who waters in sips, the amount of excess P in the soil increases SIGNIFICANTLY each time the plant is fertilized. The imbalance of P in the soil causes antagonistic deficiencies of several nutrients, primarily Fe (iron). So - too much of 1 nutrient unnecessarily raises o/a fertility levels (not good), AND it makes it difficult for plants to take up other nutrients. Another example is, too much Mg can cause a deficiency of Ca; also true is the reciprocal.

Ideally, you would want a fertilizer with NPK %s that work out to a 3:1:2 ratio, that also contains ALL of the other nutrients plants need to grow normally. Most soluble fertilizers leave out either Ca or Mg, or both, so make sure these elements are listed on the label. I use Dyna-Gro's Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. It has everything at the right ratio, and it doesn't get its N from urea. Urea promotes coarse and lanky growth, where N from nitrate sources tends to keep plants more compact and full.

Al

• Dave
    8 years ago

Al, I need your help! Have you seen my post or messages? I've been trying to contact you but nothing seems to work.

8 years ago

I have at least 50 unopened Houzz messages, and since I try to answer all the off-forum stuff in the order received, I'm way behind. What post are you referring to? This forum?

Al

• Dave
    8 years ago

Ah! That makes sense. I'll wait till you get to me. I've posted various things in this, and container gardening. Just wanted to pick your brain and see if you had any more ideas on my ever ending ficus problem as nothing seems to help. Deformed young growth, buds that turn brown and die. No pests, not over watered. Soil is a rock solid mass of peat. Don't know if it's another deficiency or something fungal.

However, I don't want to hijack this thread, so hopefully we can talk when you get to my message. Unless you feel starting atopic would be better?

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update time! It's been over a month since I got my little housemate... and in that month, not much has changed. I've resolutely not given her any water at all, except for the fortnightly mini-mist over her leaves, which is really less of a mist and more of a vague three-spritzes of pre-boiled water out of a tiny travel toner spray.

Only now has the toppermost soil started to look, and feel, dry. The top of my "tell" has become mouldy in the time but its lower part is still damp when I pull it from the deeper soil!

The leaves have begun to curl only slightly; the dark brown spots have begun to crisp a little on one of the leaves:

...and what started as a small split in one of the leaves is starting to grow into a crack right up its midrib.

Still waiting for that tell to come out clean and dry before I think about flushing out the soil and following Al's tips! Although irritatingly I can't seem to find Dyna-Gro anywhere in the UK, which means I'm going to have to do a lot more digging around to find a decent brand with the same attributes.

Coincidentally I'm writing in the midst of another cold snap on both sides of the pond. Warm wishes to all, hope everyone ( and their plants) are weathering the arctic conditions well...

8 years ago

You could always save the picture to a mobile device and try to explain that you're looking for a fertilizer that has N, P, K, Ca, Mg, in the same RATIO as this fertilizer and also has all the additional nutrients listed. Ca and Mg are likely to be the stumbling block. In order to explain what you need, you would need to be able to convey the idea that you don't care if the NPK % are high or low - just that their ratio is as close to 3:1:2 or even 2:1:2 would work fine for houseplants. That means that 24-8-16 would be as acceptable as 9-3-6 (because both have 3:1:2 ratios) as long as your fertilizer also has Ca, Mg, and less used nutrients (S + the micro-nutrients).

Al

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, this is happening now! I lost a leaf a few days ago which prompted mild alarm; my "tell" is now sliding out dry (and losing some of its mould, ew) so tomorrow is definitely Flushing-and-Fertilising day.

I managed to track down the sole UK supplier of Dyna-Gro (woohoo!) so have managed to buy 1 gallon of Foliage-Pro, the exact one Al recommended. A little spendy, but I figure, why take a risk? Only the best for my little plant!

I have filled a few basins with tap water and set them aside so they'll be nicely room-temperatured by tomorrow morning for the flushing. In London, the tap water is incredibly hard (it leaves a lot of scum/mineral deposits on my taps and sinks) but I don't have enough containers to hold 10x the capacity of the plant pot of pre-boiled water... I trust that just letting it sit overnight might be okay? I will boil some water and let that cool ready to be mixed with the fertiliser though.

So just to check:

step 1) take plant out to balcony, prop pot on a brick and flush the soil thoroughly by slowly pouring room temperature tap water and letting it all drain out.

step 2) depot the plant and set the root mass on a pile of newspaper.

step 3) wait an hour and put it back into the pot, and bring it back indoors.

step 4) fertilise with Foliage-Pro mixed with pre-boiled water (how much? Instructions say "Production" or "Siphon Mixer" but neither of these terms mean anything to me...)

...does that sound about right? Any last-minute tips, advice or changes?

8 years ago

No need to boil the water as it only increases the hardness ...... and hard water can be very problematic for plants. How many do you have?

No need to let water sit about to bring it up to room temperature. Adjust your faucet so the water is very cool to your touch (after all, your skin temp is about 37* - a little too warm). You can use it immediately.

Other than considering if you want to incorporate my comments into your plans, it sounds like you're good to go.

Al

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, that's confusing; I always understood that boiling water removes hardness (albeit temporarily - and the solidified calcium deposits is what "furs" up the kettle elements). Not boiling it would certainly make my life easier though so I certainly wouldn't complain! :)

Which of the fertiliser-to-water proportion instructions should I follow to fertiliser after flushing, please?

8 years ago

Boiling water releases steam, which turns to pure (distilled - nothing in it but H20) water when it condenses, meaning all the dissolved solids in the original vessel of tap water are left behind in the vessel. When the water in the vessel becomes supersaturated, it will no longer support the dissolution of whatever solids are dissolved in the water and those dissolved solids precipitate (come out of solution and form solids). This only occurs when the water is supersaturated. The heating elements 'fur up' because when steam forms around the hot elements, the dissolved solids in the water just turned to steam are left behind in the water and some attach themselves to the heating elements.

For your first fertilizer application, use 2.5 cc in a L of water. How you fertilize subsequent to that will depend on your soil/watering habits. Fortunately for you, when using the FP 9-3-6, the ratio of nutrients in the soil won't quickly become badly skewed as it might using fertilizers the NPK ratio of which do not closely match the plant's actual usage ratio.

I suggest you shake your gallon of 9-3-6 well & pour off a small measure into a squirt bottle. I use a contact lens solution bottle for this. You might need to heat a pin and melt the hole a little larger. Before using the fertilizer, shake well, then squirt a measure into the appropriate measuring spoon.

Al

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the time you take to break it down for me. Nice tip! I've managed to dredge up an old water bottle with sports cap that should do perfectly.

So here's the plan in action! I'm now between steps 2 and 3.

Immediately after taking this picture and going back inside to type this, two pigeons tried to move into my empty pot. No chance, busters).

8 years ago

From what I can see, the root system appears to be rather unhealthy - not a judgment ..... just an observation. I can't remember if a repot is on the horizon, but it should be. I think you'll see significant improvement in vitality if you get the plant into a medium that allows you to water correctly w/o the plant paying penalty due to extended periods of soil saturation after you water. Did we talk about tipping the pot after you water and using a wick? I'd definitely incorporate those strategies in your routine for now .... at least until you get the plant in a better medium. Let me know if you need more info re what I just said. Let us know how things go.

Al

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Check-in time! It's now been over a month since the soil-flushing.

Not terribly much has changed except, very pleasingly, a single baby leaf near the bottom of the trunk. So far, this is the only sign of new growth, but... baby steps!

hello, young leaf! :)

However I do agree that I need to do something about repotting. Since I did the soil flushing, I have noticed a distinct change in the soil texture. If you compare with the picture above - not that either is particularly clear - it's now speckled with mossy growth, and has become very clumpy, suggesting a high moisture retention. We even have the odd tiny weed poking out.

So. I'm hoping it's not too late in the year/growth cycle to do this, but I've been taking the new leaf to signal relative health, which should mean it's more likely to withstand the potential shock of repotting.

I've ordered a self-watering planter from the as-is section of Amazon, the same diameter as its existing pot, but will have to look for some new soil. Any pointers with this? Having done a little research, it looks like potting mixes such as Miracle Gro Moisture Moisture Control is no good in self-watering pots. And I understand that ficus lyrata may favour acidic soils? But is there anything else I need to know?

Also... my green flatmate now has a new green flatmate! Our family is growing.

Meet my new Schefflera. It's called Ri-Ri... can you guess why...? ;-)

My only cause for alarm is that while a happy tiny new shoot had been emerging when I brought her home a few weeks ago, it's now shrivelled and died :( It's also rather droopy, although I have taken care not to either over- or under-water. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Farewell, young leaf :(

Any tips with either of my two young 'uns would be much appreciated!

7 years ago

If the root system ain't happy ..... ain't no other part of the plant gonna be happy.

That's in bold to attract attention. Most people hope for healthy w/o understanding that an efficiently healthy root system is the foundation on which the o/a good health of the organism is built. If you focus on good root health, most of the limitations that serve as impediments to your proficiency will disappear.

FWIW - I'd skip the SWC in favor of a more traditional pot you can irrigate and fertigate from the top ..... but it's your plant, so your call.

Al

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I returned the SWC. Amazon mucked up the order anyway.

But in other news: baby leaves! So many baby leaves! *dances happily*

7 years ago

Strong work! Good news indeed.

Al

• User
    7 years ago

Lyra a fine tree and I think you did enough research to be successful. I would recommend you do a potting up. ( keep Lyra from a.c. vents )

fizzymartini thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

I love a sheff... They tend to be a little prone to insects. I prefer to take them outside in a shady area and spay them down good with malathyon. Hahaha works great. Another plant to keep away from a.c. vents.

fizzymartini thanked User
  • fizzymartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Luckily (or unluckily) no A.C. vents here for me in London! And I have Al to thank for the high majority of all my actions so far :)

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can't believe it's been a year since my last update!

I was frightened last winter by what felt like dramatic leaf drop (lost at least 10 leaves) and I worried that it might be a symptom of the unhealthy roots that Al picked up on in an earlier comment. Time for repotting!

The old soil was packed tight so I teased out as much as possible. To my untrained eye, the roots did look very unhealthy, with only one long strand looking "live".

Lots of research later and for some reason absolutely zero options for finding suitable turface or grit (after months!) but a great value flash-in-the-pan deal on Amazon for Repti-bark, I went for the 5:1:1 mix.

I wound the one long root around the remaining ball and filled up the rest of the pot. Then it was all done!

All this effort was rewarded by immediately dropping another leaf, ugh.

But here she is all potted up:

I really hope I haven't messed anything up, or disturbed the root ball too much...

7 years ago

It's early for a repot. It's also likely your plant will drop an additional volume of foliage; but, if you keep the soil moist instead of wet and make SURE you fertilize frequently (due to N drawdown/immobilization by the fresh bark), you should soon be rewarded by a very notable increase in vitality and growth.

Best luck!

Al

• Dave
    7 years ago

Also, why did you plant it directly in the terra cotta pot?

unless it's just a plastic pot.

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Al - Ah, is it too early? Argh. I had thought because new growth seemed so slow, I should deal sooner rather than later. Rookie error. OK - frequent fertilisation and moist soil, got it. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

Dave - I just put it back in its original black plastic pot due to the small size of the root ball (not big enough to pot up), then slotted said plastic pot into the terracotta.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    7 years ago

Repotting early just means its recovery will be slower. Al has posted that a plant that was repotted in spring will be in worse shape in the fall than a plant that was repotted at the solstice. Not bad shape, though, and definitely in much better shape than if you hadn't repotted at all.

So open those blinds and don't be shy about giving them as much light as you can, because that plant needs energy to colonize the pot with roots. Once the roots are happy you'll be amazed by what your plant does next!

I'm not surprised that your fiddle leaf didn't show any new growth for months after you started taking better care of it because I saw the same thing with my ficus benjaminas. I'm still waiting to repot in June, but after better watering and fertilizing and adding some artificial light they started to get some new growth, still, they didn't take off until the sun got high enough to give them some direct light. Now they're growing like mad, and I'm actually a little afraid of what'll happen when I can move them outside so their sunshine won't be filtered by glass.

fizzymartini thanked litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
  • fizzymartini
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh dear, I wish I'd spent more time researching when to repot, rather than just the substrates! Thank you for explaining, litterbuggy. And reading this thread back, it looks like new growth only really took off at the end of May, so my memory was off.

I just checked it over and the underside of some top leaves are already turning speckled light brown, which does not bode well. Ugh.

Oh well - damage control! I'll keep my blinds fully open until dark, and I've stuck a wooden chopstick into the pot as a moisture tell; the porosity of the new potting mix means water runs straight through anyway.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    7 years ago

Just be patient while nature works its magic, even if includes some leaf loss. I'm sure it'll be worth it!

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello again! A status update and a request for more advice, please.

Here’s how Lyra is looking today. I’ve been following all prior advice (never over-watering, fertiliser very time, butted right up to the full-length patio door for max light) and she effectively went a bit dormant after my too-early repotting last year: no new leaves appeared, although I didn’t really lose any, either. However, the stems of most of her leaves have calcified somewhat, which I don’t take as a good sign as it usually precedes leaf loss, and the leaves aren’t looking quite as happy as they used to...

My main question, though, is about the roots, which is doing this:

Doesn’t look healthy! What should I do? It seemed more straightforward when planted in soil, as I would probably have instinctively coiled the leggy root back up into the pot, but the bark mix makes this trickier, and I don’t want to risk another too-early disturbance?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Just a quick point, fuzzy. Since most of the posters here are in the US and you are in the U.K. you may find you cannot get the exact items they mention, but there are plenty of equally good products available to you. Just look at the contents or ingredients for the named products and I'm sure you'll find equivalents. Horticultural grit, for example, is available at most garden centres and many diy places. I've even bought it at Homebase. Regarding Turface you might be interested in This article. Alternative house plant fertilisers are also easy to find. Baby Bio is fine.

Now Al will probably not like this, but you can get good results by just buying a bag of house plant compost and planting in that. I see you have a bag of John Innes no.3 there. If you are going to use a JI compost you actually need no.2 for house plants. As to repotting in April being too early I don't think you should worry. It'll work fine in London. Al's plants are fabulous and his is a council of perfection for growing absolutely optimum specimens but if you want a less complicated approach you can still grow healthy, attractive house plants. Btw what you can do right now is cut off those unsightly snags growing at the bottom of the trunk. Cut them off flush.

fizzymartini thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • fizzymartini
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Floral. Had a jr hacksaw and a spare few minutes, so there we are! Better?
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    6 years ago

What a relief! THANK YOU!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Much better ;-)

p.s. put secateurs on your next birthday list.

6 years ago

Al doesn't like or dislike what people decide to do with/to their plants; he realizes, and always has, that it's the plant owner's place to make all decisions about how the plants (s)he owns are treated. He does, however, have a decided interest in providing reliable information that others can use to make informed decisions. A small to middling fraction of hobby growers might be able to bring along attractive-looking plants in media based entirely or nearly entirely on very small particles like peat, coir, sand, topsoil, compost, composted forest products, ......., but the fact is, these soils will nearly always rob plants of a notable measure of potential growth and vitality. If you think back to threads in which there was lengthy discussions about soils, I never once decided for the grower what (s)he should/shouldn't do about soil choice. The discussions and/or disagreements center on what is or isn't a 'good' soil, or what happens in soils to rob plants of potential. It should be easy to agree that a good soil shouldn't have inherent factors that rob plants of large measures of potential.

To me, a 'good' soil is one you can water to beyond the point of complete saturation at will (so you're flushing the soil of accumulating salts when you water) without the plant having to pay a tax levied by extended periods of saturated soil after watering. When it comes to hydrology, adopting a soil that allows correct watering practices w/o that penalty are always going to be superior to those that sap potential due to a continual or even extended intermittent period of saturation in more than a very small fraction of the o/a volume of medium in the pot. Not only are they superior, they make other aspects of husbandry that often cause problems, notably fertilizing, much, much easier and more effective.

The good news is, there are ways of dealing with less than stellar soils by using one or more of several methods to limit how much excess water they hold by means other than changing the soils make-up. The fixes won't necessarily be the same as using a highly aerated soil based on larger particles that naturally holds a very limited amount of excess (perched) water, but they (the fixes) can be used to significantly limit the loss of potential caused by what would otherwise be just another soggy soil.

Not looking for a battle - just taking the opportunity to muse a bit.

Al

• fizzymartini
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No battles. Only advice sought on what might be best for managing those roots at this point, please? ;-)
    6 years ago

Where do you live?

Al

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Fizzy has said s/he lives in London, hence my post on not worring too much about replicating the exact ingredients of your mix and recommendations for growing media and fertilisers which are available here in the U.K. and which will work. I know how hard it is to get gardening supplies in London and even when you can track them down getting them home on the tube is no joke. And storing separate bags of materials in a flat is also an issue.

Fuzzy, you can cut that long root off when you repot. There's nothing unhealthy about the root per se but it shows that the pot is full.

P.s. I know what you mean about the cheeky pigeons, fizzy. My daughter had a pair nesting in a pot on her balcony. Made watering a challenge.

fizzymartini thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK