SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_biddenback

Are winter cover crops and heavy mulch incompatible?

Jon Biddenback
8 years ago

In the quest for nitrogen to heat up my compost, I was chopping away at a weed vine that doesn't give the first **** about the cold, and is still vibrant and green. I got to thinking maybe I can get the weeds to work for me instead of against me, and that got me thinking more seriously about green manure.

This red clay is close to being brick when it's dry, so I've already laid down about a 4 inch layer of assorted wood chips to hold moisture on the ground, invite the SFW to start pulling down OM, and protect it while it does so. A few small weeds have poked through in thinner spots, but for the most part the mulch is killing unwanted plants and attracting worms, isopods, and fungus, as it should.

The killing power of that mulch - denying light to sprouts below, and denying a footing to seeds from above - is useful, but it seems like it would work against planting and growing a cover crop in the off season.

Is there a way to use heavy mulch and a cover crop in the same place at the same time, or do I have to choose one or the other?

Comments (13)