SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjknsf

Examples of loft/industrial style kitchens

rjknsf
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

About 1.5 years ago, my partner and I purchased a loft. We got very lucky and were able to get a very good price and we really love the space. We had that moment where we walked in and in immediately looked at each other and said "sold." The only catch is that it was a foreclosure and during the foreclosure period a number of items in the kitchen were stolen. After saving our pennies, we are ready to embark on part 1 of a two part kitchen renovation.

Part 1 is focused on making the existing kitchen work and will go down this summer. The kitchen is an L shape in a large room. Like many lofts, the entire downstairs is open. We're talking living, dining, and kitchen in one big rectangle. Part 2 will be a total reno that will not happen for 5-6 years. We will likely gut it and start fresh as I have plans to move a number of things. The floor plan will remain the same but it will no longer be an L shape.

As I mentioned, some things were removed from the kitchen. This includes the refrigerator, dishwasher, faucet, garbage disposal, the ceiling cans for lights, and the long run of cabinets in the L. We've replaced everything but the long run of cabinets. The back splash is truly horrible because it just ends where the cabinets used to be and is uneven. It also happens to be ugly. Part 1 will include removing and replacing the back splash, adding open shelving on the run of missing cabinets, fixing a couple of chips on the counter top, and doing some miscellaneous electrical work. We are also having a cart built that will function as an island.

I'm on a quest for images of loft style kitchens. I have scoured Gardenweb, Pinterest, Houzz, Google, Apartment Therapy, Remodelista. While I have found some of inspiration, all of those kitchens are very fancy and not representative of my kitchen.

The key thing I am interested in exploring is how to integrate the kitchen into the very open floor plan. I absolutely love all white kitchens, but that look won't work in my space because I think it will be too "kitchen" for the rest of the space. Our space is very industrial. Most of our furniture is reclaimed wood that is supported in some kind of metal frame. We have a diamond steel staircase. Our dining table is reclaimed bowling alley and our bench is reclaimed indoor basketball court (stripped of lacquers and stained to highlight the natural woods.

I will post photos of my space later tonight. Is there anyone here who can post photos of their loft kitchens for research and inspiration?

Thanks very much in advance. I can't wait to drool over my laptop looking at your photos.

Comments (21)