SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_29721132

Schumacher Homes is not the solution to our problem

User
8 years ago

I have met with the Ravenna office twice and something about them just doesn't seem right. I need some guidance and some confirmation. I am closing on a nice piece of land in a couple weeks. I got a level .62 acre lot on a cul de sac for $29k, 85% original asking price and it appraised for $1000 more than I offered. Quiet location, nice houses all around. This was a rare and lucky find, similar lots are $40-$60k in this area. If the lot had been any more I would not been able to swing 25% down and closing costs. I don't think my wife realizes how lucky we are, nor does she realize we can't put a house on it next week.

My wife is 30, I am 33, married 2 years with a 9 month old son. Our starter home is a converted barn apartment on my dad's farm. We have issues getting an address for it, can't get a deed for it, and recently found wet drywall and possible mold which explains the laundry list of health problems I'm having. I had originally planned to remodel the whole barn, it had potential for a unique home but for the $200k it would have cost I can build a real home. I've put $50k in the place and spent the last 7 years living on the road for work, so it's the only home I know and until recently was a source of pride. I love the farm but hate living here and missing living in a neighborhood. Our new lot is 2 miles away so our son can enjoy the farm too. I am home a little more now and wonder what life would be like if I didn't live in this apartment.

The apartment is a constant source of tension in my marriage, my wife hates it, I've grown to hate it, we both hate living next to my dad. We are always in bad moods and fighting here, it's the furthest thing from a comfortable home either of us have ever lived in. Still, we've lived here for free while I managed to save $10k to put down on our lot and can live here for free indefinitely. She'd be happy with any home, I am ready to build my dream home. I plan to live there 20-25 years, maybe indefinitely and am only moving once until I ready to retire. We have different attitudes about building, she wants a house NOW, I am willing to wait 2 years or so and pay 100% equity into the lot. I am not 100% sure my wife is ready for a mortgage payment and that 2 years takes some pressure off me, I can help pay off all her debts and put her in a better position to be a homeowner. I am ready now, I prequalified for $250k, have very little debt, drive used vehicles and so on. My wife is slowly learning the process, first you buy land, then get plans, then meet with builders, right?

I initially fell for Schumacher Homes' gimmicks, I approved of all the materials they build homes out of, liked the poured basement, thought I was on track. I want a smaller 3BR 2BA ranch, possibly a 1.5 story. Ranches I am ok with 1600-1800SF, 1.5 story I'd be ok with 2000SF or smaller. Even the smallest ranch home will be night and day difference from how we live now. I'd like granite, oak hardwood flooring, separate tub and shower, high celings, steel beams for a finished basement, some extra garage space, all recessed LED lighting, stone hearth with gas logs and some nice windows in the great room. Budget is around $230k or $1100 a month or less with the land paid off. My philosophy is well appointed, smaller, energy efficient, well built and able to pay off in 20 years instead of 30. I don't think I am going to get the last 2 with Schumacher. We were at $267K for a 1650SF ranch with all these options the last time we met. $296K with my lot or almost $180/SF.

The red flags started to appear. We toured one of their homes framed in, wired and plumbed, but why don't they give references for homeowners? I'd like to talk to the homeowner after they've lived there a year. The cost of upgrades was 2.5 times market price, I called the salesman out on this. I was quoted $1375 for a $500 farmhouse sink and $2000 for an $800 wood patio door. The bank is giving me the money, why can't I buy the items from Home Depot for market price? The dealbreaker was that I could not have reclaimed oak flooring I made installed. Their advice was to rip out all the laminate I had just financed over the next 30 years and install it once they are gone. I don't know what could get me to sign a contract with them, their process does not have the homeowner's best interest in mind, only their own. Our home would never appraise at what they quoted us, there are $300k homes in our new neighborhood and this would not be one of them. They seem to be a builder for young people new to the process who think you need to have a home with someone's brand name on it. Whole thing looks and feels like a scam and I am good at recognizing scams. Am I off base here? I don't even have plans yet and my wife wants a house next week. Talk some sense into her.

Comments (26)

• scone911
    8 years ago

You don't have to go with any particular builder, there's really no need. Byt you and your wife are not on the same page. Can you take a few days off to relax, and then discuss? Maybe come to a compromise you both like.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We aren't on the same page as far as time frame, we are on the same page as far as building instead of buying because as of next week our entire savings is going into the lot. She gave me 2 options, either the neighborhood where I bought the lot or a home she fell in love with in her parents neighborhood 32 miles away that needed at least $50k worth of work. I didn't have time or emotional capital to move to a new town only being home 3-4 nights a week.

There are a lot of variables to this problem.

• Related Discussions

Schumacher Homes - opinions?

Q

Comments (377)
    Posting another update. Our dig started on Feb 22 and we are being told that the house should be done by the end of June 🙌🏼🙌🏼 Way ahead of schedule. The inside is painted and they are installing cabinets and trim this week. From there, we’ll just need a little bit of tile work, lights installed, outlets/switches, paint touch up, etc. Lots of little details but we’re almost there!
    ...See More

Solution of any homes problem

Q

Comments (2)
    This is amazing. I was just sitting here wondering how I could ever make my dream of owning a modular home in Alaska happen... and I figured "Home Decorating" would be the most logical place to start. That's probably why most people come here, really.
    ...See More

Help! Best temp heating solution for our temp home

Q

Comments (63)
    I think you have some good suggestions above regarding heat. Electrical heaters are very expensive. We had two that used dryer like outlets and they cost tons to use. We also went through many of the cheap electric heaters -- they only last so long before they stop functioning. We live in Southern Ontario, Canada. We have been re-building/expanding our house for close to 4 years. We have lived through all sort of horrible, freezing conditions. We have four kids. I have a long winter coat that gets lots of use inside our home. Having a shower is the worst. Don't forget that poly plastic can make a huge difference for pennies to make a wall more insulated. You can poly over tons, and block off a section of your home with poly as well. A few winters ago, we did rent two propane heaters. They were not that great at spreading heat around the home, and they were expensive too. I do hope you find out your old furnace works. I would certainly get a quote to see what that would cost to fix. The difference in fees to rent another heat source, or pay for electrical energy to heat might be more than the furnace repair. Good luck. I hope your winter is not an extreme one. Carol
    ...See More

My new build with Schumacher Homes Cincinnati, Ohio

Q

Comments (1)
    Is the house still under construction? Is this a tract builder?
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You are not home 3-4 nights a week and don't have the time or emotional capital to move to a new town? What about your wife who has to take care of your baby while you're away. What about her "emotional capital"? Did it ever occur to you that maybe she'd want to be closer to her parents, and probably her friends so she could have some "emotional" relief from baby while you're away at work?

I think you should ditch the building of the house which will be a lot more stressful on your marriage than where you are now, buy the house close to her parents and figure out a way to put in the repairs. Otherwise, I think you may have a new house but not much else in a few years.

Sorry to be so blunt but it really doesn't sound like you're taking your wife's feelings into consideration. In fact it sounds like if she's going along, it's more because you're pushing her to agree with you.

Building is just about the most stressful thing you can do and if the two of you are fighting now and can't work together in your small space, I worry for you two if you build. Especially since the two of you have never lived anywhere else but in your father's apartment. I would NEVER recommend building for first time home owners. Buy a house and learn what works and doesn't work by living in a real house and work on your marriage too. You owe your baby that.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There is city sewer in the development, septic was part of the reason I didn't want to live in the country. Just need a water well. The fighting is a result of mood altering mold exposure, we get along just fine when not in our apartment. She says she feels like the devil when she wakes up here. They are living at her parents for the winter while I work and save for a home. I would have considered the home she liked if it had been updated since 1989 and had a first floor master, I am an avid cyclist and my knees can't do stairs. if I hadn't spent the last 13 years fixing things where I live now I'd be more open to a fixer upper. I barely have time to mail paperwork to the bank, let alone take on remodeling projects.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/715-Edmond-St_Hubbard_OH_44425_M37765-48389

I am trying to find one single thing I like about this home, she fell in love with it. needs a kitchen, bath, siding, flooring, and the lot sucks.

I am well aware that first time homeowners should buy, I've been watching the market daily for 2 years and have yet to find anything close to what I'm looking for as far as architecture or location. the only houses my wife likes locally are $300k two stories. architecture and taste are lacking around here but the market doesn't reflect that. the only way I'll be happy is if I design to my tastes, and build in the perfect location. I only like craftsman, colonial or cedar homes and the home has to be designed to fit the lot. master tucked away in the back left corner looking at a hillside and pine trees, den in the front right of the home with a christmas tree in the window. noise was a major factor and this a quiet development. another minor factor is my 3/4 ton pickup truck won't fit in standard 7x16 garage door.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/22-Airport-Rd_Grove-City_PA_16127_M41429-48816

this house was listed at nearly $300k and has a window air conditioner. this is why I can't buy a home in my hometown.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What I am looking for is an affirmation or rebuttal that Schumacher Homes business model is a complete scam, and any reason to ever meet with them again. the only way I'd even consider a contract would be the same house for $135/SF or less. unless they'll build the house I like for $72K less than they quoted me we've both wasted enough time.

• User
    8 years ago

With all due respect - if that is all you are looking for, you shouldn't have added all the drama.

• sail_away
    8 years ago

Are you planning to stay for two years, with a very young child, in a home that you describe as possibly having mold or something else that is making you feel ill? You need to get your family, especially your child, out of there now if the situation is as dire as you describe. If there was any chance my child's health was being affected by staying there (not to mention my own health), I would want out of there NOW. I can understand why your wife is objecting, if the plan is to remain in place for an indefinite period of time, or as much as two years. I wouldn't even want to stay there if the building was starting today because it would still mean months of exposure to mold or other pathogens.

Maybe it's time to consider buying the house she likes, live there for awhile and, if you both still want to build later, build up some equity that will help you with that next step. If things are as you describe, you really need to get out of your current residence.

In regard to your question about Schumacher Homes, I have no experience with nor knowledge about them. However, what you describe is pretty typical of some builders who quote a lower cost for building but then increase their profit margin by overcharging for upgrades. I have walked away from similar builders, but I don't have the personal knowledge about Schumacher Homes to say what you should do. I can tell you that you probably need to spend some time learning how to evaluate properties, determine whether the property is, in fact, buildable, and what to expect in the house building process and how to find a legitimate builder. It can be a wonderful and satisfying experience, but also a difficult and precarious one as well. The more you know about the process and what to expect along the way the better prepared you will be to deal with the stress and demands of building a custom home..

• bry911
    8 years ago

"If the lot had been any more I would not been able to swing 25% down and closing costs." and "We aren't on the same page as far as time frame, we are on the same page as far as building instead of buying because as of next week our entire savings is going into the lot" -

With all due respect, from someone with a bit of financial expertise, you all may be on the same page, but you are reading from the wrong book! Your lot is under $30k and you are struggling to swing the down payment? If you can't write a check for $30k without a struggle then I don't see how you can build a $270k home. Realistically I would think $60k in liquid assets would be the minimum advisable.

I know next to nothing about your finances but those two statements alone would lead me to seriously question the assumptions you are making. Unless you are being overly dramatic, I see no possible way for you to afford to build a contractor's grade home, never mind granite counters and other accessories. I don't see how you can even afford a tract builder.

Your builder is going to have to guarantee appraisal. There is nothing uncommon in a tight construction loan situation with the bank telling you to come up with $20,000 before they will close. Let the lot go in my opinion or at least talk to a financial planner first.

• lexma90
    8 years ago

If your wife is home full-time, and you are only home 3-4 days a week, then shouldn't she be in charge of fixing up the fixer-upper? Especially if that house is her first choice.

• User
    8 years ago

All builders will have a set list of the products that they use and charge full retail for upgrades, plus a change order fee. You won't get any better deal from anyone else. That's how the game is played. The only way to not play the game is to build full custom, and there is no way that you can afford that. You can't even afford to do a build with the tract builder that you interviewed.

Fact of life #1 is that you're just starting out, and you don't get everything you want in starter home. Fact #2 is that you may not get it ever. Fact #3 is that you are behaving like a worse infant than you have at home by whining about upgrades when you are living in a moldy barn. Fact #4 is that you can't really afford to either build or buy at the moment. Fact #5 is that the added mouth didn't help.

It's sad that you feel entitled to go from 0-60 in 2.3 seconds without even half the money that you need to do any of it.

• sweetsarahbeth
    8 years ago

Just to chime in here and echo the sentiments of the others: building is stressful, especially when you are living in not ideal circumstances. We are living in a school bus on the land with four kids while we build. If my husband and I didn't have an extremely strong foundation before starting this, there's no way we would have made it this far.

You absolutely need to be on the same page with regard to everything and have realistic expectations, not just "yes we want to build a house", before starting this.

We thought we'd be in the bus for a year - it's been nearly two. We thought it was going to be with only three kids - now it's four. The unexpected can and will happen. Please be advised.

• User
    8 years ago

You're going through a production builder. This is the way it works.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Actually I think the title of your thread says it quite clearly:

Schumacher Homes is not the solution to our problem

Your problem goes beyond what a tract builder does or doesn't do. Your problem right now, whether you're willing to see it or not, is the future of your marriage and your unwillingness to put your wife's needs first, since she is the one who is at home 7 days a week while you're on the road for 1/2 those days.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

"As of next week our entire savings is going into our lot".

this is scary. So, you will have no emergency fund or cash leftover after buying the lot.

honestly, I don't want to be harsh but the way I see it you two are on the road to disaster.

Let the lot go. Even if you lose your earnest money. There will always be another piece of property when the time is right and the time is not right. You don't need a lot payment right now.

you need to move out of that moldy barn that you have put 50k into and cut your losses.

rent ( don't buy ) a small affordable house near your wife's parents so they can help with the baby.

if you really want to build a house in the future you need to do the following......

work on paying off all of your debts and saving $$$

If you don't have a budget, get on one...

your wife needs to get at least a part time job to help accomplish this goal.

seriously, building a home right now is a pipe dream.

Work together as a team, set some goals and accomplish them.

• Fred M
    8 years ago

Your original post made me feel a little sick to my stomach, and as others have stated you are on a path to disaster, especially within your marriage. I say this sadly from experience with my 1st marriage.

Your post is written very selfishly talks about you and everything you have done, while talking negatively about your wife and her debt.

The barn apartment that you are only there for 4 days out of the week that is making you sick.....you wife and child are there all the time. You have grown to hate it, your wife has hated it for much longer and wants out. She doesn't want to stick around 2 years while you get your ducks in a row to build a home.

To put it bluntly you need to work on your marriage and your current living situation. I say this out of experience and can see myself 10 years ago writing what you wrote. It is difficult being the sole provider and worrying about the future and providing for your family. Currently you need to focus on the present, and a piece of property with plans to build in two years in which you only have $10K to put down while living in the barn apartment is a terrible idea and I think almost everyone here would agree.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Move into a rental house you and your wife BOTH like...and build a home you can afford. This will save your marriage and allow you to take your time building the house.

Also...think before you type. No one wants a personal history of your marriage woes, especially if you don't want comments on your personal situation. Grow up and put others first. And buy your wife some flowers!

• User
    8 years ago

And buy your wife some flowers!

^^THAT^^

• Fred M
    8 years ago

Well I think we hurt Ryan H's feelings, went to click on his profile and says it does not exist. Pretty sure he was looking to show this thread to his wife and instead is now petrified if she was ever to find it.

• arialvetica
    8 years ago

I think others have already said what needs to be said regarding building and buying and renting and the financial liquidity required, etc.

I'm an at-home mom to two young children, and a husband who travels for work quite a bit. Just here to offer some softer" advice from "the other half." :)

The first few years of parenthood are SO HARD. I know it's said so often that it's a cliche, but really. It is. The first year the hormones are swirling and postpartum depression is extremely common, even in the best circumstances. The first 5 years are sometimes called "The Tunnel of Parenthood." The primary care provider can feel like she (or he) is in a black tunnel with no light in sight. Just please be gentle and don't discount your wife's thoughts and opinions too quickly. Just because they come from a less measurable place doesn't mean they carry less weight.

Calculate the # of hours your wife is awake in your home vs. you. Just for perspective.

Think of your home as her workplace. She deserves a safe and reasonably comfortable workplace NOW. Not in two years when your son (and her reproductive system for any future planned pregnancies) have absorbed whatever toxins are in your current home. If your employer were extremely critical of you AND put you in an unsafe environment with the promise of "in 2 years it'll get safer," would you sit it out, or maybe consider employment elsewhere?

Also -- does your wife have any daytime peer support? A chapter of MOMS Club, a fellow at-home mom, etc? If not, I strongly recommend looking into something like that. My MOMS Club and the amazing friends I've met through the club have been a godsend for me.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Too bad he's left the building since there was some excellent advice given. However, my guess is he's going to find someone to confirm his viewpoint and figures we're all idiots who don't know what we're talking about.

I feel bad for his wife. She and their son deserve to live in a safe environment near her support system. I'm hoping she has support but it doesn't sound as if she does.

Arialvetica, you are so correct about what it's like those first years. They are in some ways some of the most wonderful and enjoyable years, but on the other hand, it is so hard when your day consists of Sesame Street, diaper changes, and baby talk with no adult conversation. And the fact he's away for half a week must make it even harder for her.

I hope he wakes up and realizes that if he continues on his path, he may be doing so by himself.

• htwo82
    8 years ago

"as of next week our entire savings is going into the lot"

Based solely on your statement above, IMO, building is not right for you or your family at this time. Just because the lot you found is a "rare and lucky find", doesn't mean you have to buy it. Don't buy a good deal just because it's a good deal. This may be why your wife just doesn't "get it". Several statements you made make it seem as if you don't get it either. For instance: "The bank is giving me the money, why can't I just go to Home Depot....." Well, you can go to Home Depot, but the bank isn't going to give you that money BEFORE you go. Instead, YOU pay for your items at Home Depot yourself, then submit a draw request to the Bank to reimburse yourself. Seeing as you have no savings, can you pay cash for these items and wait for your next draw to be reimbursed? That's where these builders come into play. They foot the bill for the items, and wait for reimbursement. They assume the risk, which you pay "interest" for, so to speak. If you want affirmations, yet you've already said that "unless they can build the home I want for $72K less than they quoted me we've both wasted enough time" - why does it matter if you think it's a scam or not? If you can't get them to this price point, you said you won't consider a contract with them anyways. My advice, walk away from this lot, consider your wife's desires for a home and find a compromise. Renting may be your best option. Or maybe you can buy the home your wife loves, build equity for the next 20 years, sell and build your dream retirement home? Good luck, I think your marriage depends on the decisions you make...

• chicagoans
    8 years ago

cpartist: I agree with you that I feel bad for the wife, but I also noticed that he said he is paying off her debts. It sounds like she's a SAHM, which I know it tons of work, but it also sounds like she's left him with the onus of paying for everything, even things that she bought/financed for herself in the past.

I think they need advice from a financial planner, in addition to working on their relationship.

• User
    8 years ago

" I agree with you that I feel bad for the wife, but I also noticed that he said he is paying off her debts. It sounds like she's a SAHM, which I know it tons of work, but it also sounds like she's left him with the onus of paying for everything, even things that she bought/financed for herself in the past."

I thought how the OP worded that was very telling. "Her" debt. As a family there is only "our" debt if partners are on the same team. We don't know the backstory but it seems the consensus is that the OP and his wife are not on the same page. I actually felt a little bad for the OP. I understand he has dreams, we all do. But with maturity we understand that we need to sometimes lower our expectations and put those dreams on hold. As we age we realize that our children's childhoods were gone so fast. But when we are young it seems we have all the time in the world. I hope the OP at least visits this thread to understand that there is genuine wisdom and concern in the posted replies.

• bry911
    8 years ago

I thought how the OP worded that was very telling. "Her" debt. As a family there is only "our" debt if partners are on the same team.

While I understand the point, I am not sure I agree. If my wife ran up thousands of dollars of gambling debt prior to our wedding, I wouldn't be in any hurry to take ownership of it either. In fact, it can be very helpful to clearly dilineate undesirable history outside the marriage.

We even do this ourselves, "that was me then, this is me now." Really it's just been "you" all along, however, we can close chapters in our lives by defining them outside of our current situation. Also, we say things like, "before I met my husband I ..." it is very common to define your, and your partner's, life in a before we met vs. after we met way.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

cpartist: I agree with you that I feel bad for the wife, but I also noticed that he said he is paying off her debts. It sounds like she's a SAHM, which I know it tons of work, but it also sounds like she's left him with the onus of paying for everything, even things that she bought/financed for herself in the past.

I think they need advice from a financial planner, in addition to working on their relationship.

That's true chicagoans. Or maybe it wasn't things she bought or financed for herself but college loans. Maybe he said to her, stay at home with the baby and I'll be sure to cover your college loans. We just don't know.

I agree with you that they need advice from a marriage counselor and a financial planner.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH