SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

To prune or not to prune (this gigantic climber)

SoFL Rose z10
8 years ago

I have a very large Papi Delbard that seems to want to eat its way to the neighbor's yard. Its a very large climber on Fortuniana and I've never, in 5 years of rose gardening, had a rose outgrow its space (they always get die back or black spot or something that keeps them in check or pruned relatively short) but this one has just gotten somewhat out of hand. My problem with it isn't just its size, but the fact that it never blooms. I've only had it one year but its produce a total of 4 blooms since I planted it (which is funny because when I bought it, it was covered in flowers). Right now its about 12 feet tall and 10 feet wide. (The fence is an 8ft fence)

My question is, can I prune these laterals down? I keep arching them over one another, but now there just seems to be too many and I'm wondering if I can cut them back to about 4-5 buds long and whether or not that will encourage blooming or keep it from blooming all together. I understand the 3 year rule, but this monster is so huge, I think its time it bloomed. Plus it looks messy and I'd like it to look more groomed somehow. I'm willing to give it one more year, but after that, if its not blooming its going to the great garden in the sky. Any advice would be great.

Comments (12)