SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

How much space between driveway and pathway?? Paver vs Ashpalt??

njbuilding143
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Ok.. So this is a two part question..

1. We were planning on doing an Asphalt driveway and have that included in our contract.. I spoke to our builder about installing pavers instead of asphalt. He told me they normally charge $12.00 a square foot which would come out to $12,000 for our 1,000 square foot driveway.. He told me he could give a partial credit since he won't be needing to purchase the asphalt and already included doing base work.. He offered $2,500 credit plus $500 discount so the upcharge would be $9,000. We also have an $1,100 credit with them since we purchased the blocks for a retaining wall and had extras left over that they used for a second smaller wall we needed. So the total upcharge if we use the credit would be $7,900. They use the Liberty Stone Hampton Plains pavers which will match our walkways and patio... Just wanted to get some opinions if its worth the jump and if the price seems fair.. We are 50/50 on doing it, but I told the wife that if we do it now at $7,900 then we don't have to think about doing it later. She was contemplating waiting a few years, however I know the cost will be about double if we wait a few years.. Opinions?
  1. Now the second part.. We are having the builder put a walkway to the sidewalk from the front door.. Originally it was just supposed to be the driveway.. The builder wanted to line it up directly next to the driveway and separate the two with a curb as the curb was already required as per our engineer.. I am thinking that we need a space between the two.. Especially if we decide to do the paver upgrade as I think that would look awckward to have them side by side with a curb down the middle.. So here are the two options.. Keep in mind that he spacing in Option 1 between walkway and driveway and the walkway and property line is flexible.. We could move them around a bit..

Option 1:

Option 2:

Comments (26)