SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdidl

Driveway/Walkway advice needed

Kathy Darling
6 years ago

I need advice on my driveway project starting right away. We have a long driveway and our house sits sideways on the lot, so the front door opens up to the driveway instead of the front of the house. Since the front of our house is only the front bedrooms, we needed to make a more inviting entry to our home than to navigate up the driveway. I am attaching 2 pictures that show the house, porch area and driveway, along with the landscape plan. The plan is to have a walkway from the sidewalk to a small patio that leads to the front porch and entry. The plan is to have the driveway in a salt finish with a brushed finish on the grid lines. My dilemma is how to treat the walkway/patio/front porch entry cement in a way that would differentiate it from the driveway. Otherwise, I fear that it would look like too much cement everywhere. The small patio will be 12' x 14' and the walkway will be about 42" width (that will have curved lines into the patio rather than the straight lines indicated in the plan). The patio will have a seating wall made of natural stone with wall caps for seating. I am wondering if I made the cement walkway/patio/front porch in a stamped cement, would that be compatible with a salt and broom finished driveway. I don't have the budget for flagstone, cobblestone or other stone products other than for the seating wall. The narrow flower bed that runs along side the front porch will be eliminated, so the cement with run from the house across the width of the driveway. The front porch posts will be replaced with thicker posts, but that will be the only separation between the driveway and porch walkway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kathy

Comments (12)