SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thenaturalist

Monstera Problems: tearing, yellowing, brown tips

thenaturalist
8 years ago

The plants in question are Monstera Deliciosa and Monstera Obliqua/Friedrichsthalii/Adansonii.

I purchased the M. Deliciosa from a local garden center ~ 2 months ago and repotted it into a mix of Black Gold Cactus + lots of Perlite + a bit of Sphagnum + lots of fir wood chips (ReptiBark). It's in a big terracotta pot with a pebble humidity tray underneath.

When I got it, it was tattered, had some yellow leaves already which I'd pruned off, and I tried to cut the yellow and brown parts off the mostly-green leaves. It was looking good a few weeks ago; putting out a couple of new leaves! The leaves are very light in color (as shown) and haven't unraveled yet.

But, I went away for about 10 days and came back to find more yellow (cut two off). I got worried when I saw that the bigger new growth now has brown on it also (photo below). Is this indicative of a fungal problem or something? Do I need to re-do the soil again? It's very heavy and I don't want to stress it out, but don't want the problem to get worse either.

I assume the brown-edged tearing in the leaves is from its life in the shop. Probably people brushing up against it and rough handling. Does it look that way? I tried to cut some of it off, but it didn't seem to like that -- the cut edges just got yellow and brown after a few days.

---

Then, M. Obliqua (first image). Got this one online; it was looking excellent for a few weeks. But then, again, I left for over a week and came back to find all this brown and yellow. Already cut a few leaves off. My radiator was on (a few ft away) and this guy was in a window (South-East). Did it just dry up? Do you think it'll come back to good health with watering and a pebble tray?

Comments (12)

Sponsored