SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aldefanti

HELP - our 'adopted' outdoor cat won't user her home

aldefanti
8 years ago

In the Fall a little kitten adopted us. We are not cat people , have always been dog people but she kept coming around and we decided to feed her as we have a barn and figured it would be great to have a barn cat. She is the sweetest cat, super tame, loves been rubbed and so playful! We have always kept her outside because I am allergic and our dog would not really like that. As the temps started dropping I had my husband build her a home out of a cooler and we put hay in there (as per multiple websites, thank goodness for the internet!). I have given her treats in there to 'show' it to her but last night it went down to 9 degrees (we live north of Pgh) and she was laying on the patio furniture under our porch. I keep petting her an touching her to see if she is shivering but she seems quite content. My husband's theory is she is an outdoor cat and will "figure it out"...I just feel so guilty when she looks in at us through the side glass panels of our front door. Any advice on how to get her to use her house? Or will she figure it out if she is REALLY cold? I have called Animal Friends but they haven't called back... I will keep trying.

Comments (20)