SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

Anybody here know about security of Bryant Connex?

paul_ma
8 years ago

I replaced my HVAC, and now have Bryant. It includes a Bryant Connex wifi thermostat.

The functionality is good. But I'm worried about the security of this system. I found nothing on the Bryant web site discussing this, so I sent in a query about it. What I heard back is:

"All communication between the wall control and server is initiated by the wall control. When you are not logged in to your user account, the control polls the server 1x per minute. When you log in, the wall control begins polling the server as fast as the connection will allow. This way, changes made at the app will be reflected quickly at the wall.

There is no encryption in the data sent from the control to the server. Communications from the thermostat to the server are authenticated. The authentication key is generated from several seeds that are known by the control and the server that keeps a man in the middle type of attack from happening."

In my opinion this level of laxness on security borders on malpractice. It appears to allow a passive snooper to observe the temperature of your house, when you adjust the thermostat, etc. Since they obviously don't use TLS it is hard to judge how hard it would be to break their authentication. (Sounds like it might be HTTP digest.) If it can be broken, then they could turn your furnace off.)

I have another query in to learn more about what info is communicated when.

Does anyone have more info on this?

Comments (4)