SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Creamy mac and cheese with cheez whiz

l pinkmountain
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Dad bought a jar of "spicy" cheez whiz which he doesn't like and I took it off his hands. I have some sharp cheddar in the fridge and some macaroni in the pantry so I might make myself some mac and cheese with a kick to use it up. But I'm not sure what kind of recipe to follow. Some call for milk, others evaporated milk, others nothing, others making a roux. I also have some milk to use up so I'm just thinking make a roux and then add the whiz and the cheddar and bake? I guess I should just think of the cheese whiz as a flavoring ingredient . . . Or should I go the easier route and just nuke the cheez whiz and then add it to the macaroni and mix with shredded cheese and bake? Seems like it may hardly be worth the trouble of doing a roux if I'm gonna add cheez whiz to it. And don't suggest I don't use the cheez whiz, because I am going to use it up and that's that.

The only kinds of mac and cheese that I have made are the traditional kind that is basically baked macaroni with a cheese sauce, and the boxed stuff. Seems like if I don't premelt the cheddar into a sauce, then the dish will be kind of stretchy with the melted cheese, but maybe that's OK. I like quick and dirty methods so maybe it is time I got on the fast mac and cheese bandwagon. Or maybe not, because then I might start making it ALL the time! :)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH