SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

The 2016 Tomato GH Season Begins !!

hudson___wy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone !!! We decided to try opening our GH three to four weeks earlier this year - at least in just half of our middle GH bed. The rest of the seeds will get planted later (last week of January). Now is the time to plant those seeds for an early start! It is a mild -17 in Afton this morning - haha! The little town of Smoot, Wyoming just 5 miles lower in elevation and located by a couple of creeks where we live is 5 to 10 degrees colder. I haven't changed the batteries in my remote and its toooo cold to walk out and look at the thermostat outside the GH this early in the morning - but I'm sure it's - 22 out there!

I prepared these soil blocks yesterday and plunked in the seeds this morning. I planted 4 seeds each of Brandy Boy Hybrid, Big Beef Hybrid, New Big Dwarf Heirloom, Brandywine Pink Sudduth Heirloom and Big Brandy Hybrid. I have them on a capillary mat sitting on a germination heating pad, under grow lights. They should be ready to move to the GH in about 6 weeks (middle of February). We will have to be creative - as we have in the past - to keep them warm at night until May. We do have back-up seeds coming a month later in case these don't make it ! We will see how they do!

Comments (32)