SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunshyne0111

Budget kitchen Reno

sunshyne0111
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm hoping to do a somewhat DIY reno in the spring on my kitchen. I will post some photos, but am just looking to bounce some ideas off you guys. I'm on a pretty tight budget here.

The kitchen is an eat in kitchen, from a 1940s cape cod. The house has been updated, but the kitchen could use some improvements. I've been here for 7 years and keep putting it off, due to other things that have came up. The nice thingabout waitingis i have had years to come up with a plan, lol!

The kitchen has oak cabinets. I actually really like the look of them, and plan to keep them as is. I may add knobs or drawer pulls, but I'm still undecided on that. Currently they don't have any. I have the kitchen painted a vibrant golden yellow... most people like to downplay their oak, I got this color right out of the cabinets and love it.

The kitchen is small, 10x13 total space, has two door openings, and 3 windows. The trim is white. As its eat in, there is a decent sized table in it as well that seats 4.

My issues are as follows:

1) lack of storage in kitchen. Only have one cabinet for pots and pans, and it's 21 inches

2) no dishwasher. Enough said

3) the range is dying.

4) the flooring is randomly two different colors at spots. I have it hidden under three area rugs. :)

5) there is an old radiator under a window which is no longer being used, taking up valuable real estate.

6) the current appliances are bisque. While this color looks nice with the oak, there is barely any selection out there in terms of new appliances.

About my style.... I love colors (thus my walls), I hate the look of stainless steel... it feels so cold... I like things to feel homey, yet modern.

My plans are as follows:

1) replace the range. It doesn't work right and is driving me crazy

2) remove the old radiator

3) pull up the countertops, remove the 21 inch cabinet where the pots and pans are. Move the cabinet to the left of that (sink) left 3 inches.

4) put a dishwasher in the newly vacated 24 inch hole

5) purchase a matching cabinet, in 36 inches, and place it where the radiator used to be. Already found this and talked to the sales guy.

6) new granite countertops

7) tile backsplash

8) tile floor. I want to go with 12x24 inch tiles, maybe an off white or a cream color. I think they make spaces feel larger.

I'm having a family friend remove the radiator and do the countertops. I'm doing the backsplash and the floor myself.

First, does this plan sound feasible? I think it checks off all the items on my issue list and not overly crazy to implement. Not moving any major plumbing or anything like that. I gain 36 inches of countertop space, 15 inches of cabinet storage, and a dishwasher.

Second, I am aiming towards white appliances. I really dislike the look of stainless steel, and I feel like black will be too dark in my kitchen and bring down the mood. Does this seem logical? I know everyone gravitates towards stainless steel for resale, but I have to live here and I really dislike the look and feel of it. I have a white stove and dishwasher in mind, made by samsung.

Third, If I'm changing from bisque appliances to white, I'll eventually want to replace the over the stove microwave and the fridge. The opening for the fridge is only 32 inches. I really like french door refrigerators. Is it worth the extra price to go with counter depth fridge? For a small kitchen I feel like it might make a big difference. Whirlpool makes one that I think would look great.

Fourth, I love to cook. Do you guys have convection ovens? If so, worth it? The stove in picked out is convection, but I could save some money by not going that route.

Can anyone think of anything in missing or have over looked? Appreciate everyone's help!

Comments (21)