SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawprint1

Powder, Gel or Actionpacs for dishwasher

Pawprint
8 years ago

I know most of us prefer using powder laundry detergent for different reasons, but what about our dishwashers?

Under my sink I have Cascade powder, Cascade gel & Finish Actionpacs. I prefer the actionpacs for convenience but will use the gel for heavy dirty loads.

Are any of the dishwasher detergents good for the machine (as powder is better for the washer). Maybe it doesn't matter. Unlike laundry, a properly working dishwasher is always running hot water through it & should disolve any detergent.

What about the premium brands made for Miele? I also remember Mama saying she likes Somat.

My goal & reason for this post is for the concern of my dishwasher. I have a 10 year old Kitchen Aid dishwasher. Runs great & no cleaning issues. Last night I took apart the spray arm, filter & disposal. I found 2 little rocks & 1 piece of string. That's not bad for 10 years as I've never taken it apart before. I watched 5 YouTube instructional videos & saw what messes was hiding under the filters. I was absolutely shocked to find mine in such good shape.

Anyway - what detergents do you like? Are the premiums worth it for everyday dishes?

Comments (88)