SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erical62477

Need help with island design ASAP!

Erica L
8 years ago

My cabinet guys are trying to finalize the drawing so they can start building and why they are just now coming across this challenge is beyond me. Side note is I had a KD do drawings a couple months ago and they needed to do their shop drawings.

I have pilasters at the end of the island that seats 4 stools. I want the pilasters connected to the island versus just being posts. Island is planned at 122" on the pilaster side and about 120" on the other side and 60" deep.

When looking at the kitchen from the stools, the left side of island will have 2 stacks of 2 deep drawers. The other side is supposed to have seating for 2 with 15" overhang. The problem they are running into has to do with the 2 seat side and asymmetry of the island. My thought is no one would ever know because you are only looking at it from one side at a time. You wouldn't know there are drawers on the other side when on the seating side and vice versa.

We are a family of 5 and I really don't want to give up those 2 seats... However, I don't really envision 5 of us sitting at the island at the same time - I just bought a new 60" rounding dining table for the dining room... (no table in kitchen now).

Attached is a top view from my cabinet guy... I'm not sure what to do!

Comments (3)