SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asukimmy

birdhouse questions

asukimmy
8 years ago

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask for help. For Christmas and as congrats on my first house, I received a birdhouse from a friend. I want to put it outside, but I don't want to to be a death trap for some unsuspecting birds. I've done some reading and I see hanging it on a tree or fence is not a good idea. The opening is 1 1/2 inches wide, which sounds like a good thing. I've seen it's best to put it on a pole and to include a baffle to keep squirrels away, which do run around in my yard. I have pine trees and a fence around my backyard. Should I be looking to put the house a certain distance from the fence and trees? I just imagine squirrels leaping to the house. I've included a picture of the house. I'm also interested to know if this house should be considered a decorative house and not meant be used as an actual birdhouse. I am a cat lover, but they're not allowed outside so keeping them away from the birdhouse is not an issue. I'll take any advice, the last thing I want to do it hurt the birds while foolishly thinking I'm helping. Thank you!

Comments (8)