SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljsquishy

Laminate or LVP?

Lisa G
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We're having a difficult time deciding between a higher quality laminate flooring and an LVP flooring like Coretec. We want a durable finish that will resist scratching as we have two 8lb dogs that like to chase each other, and I want a floor that I can mop -- probably not with a steam cleaner but at least a damp wrung out mop or perhaps even something like the Hoover Floormate (I'm not sure if it's possible to use that or not). I like to just use clean water and a small amount of white vinegar to mop and prefer not to use any actual "cleaners", even the recommended ones like Bona, etc.

We really love the Balterio laminate from IVC US, specifically the 12mm versions with a Lifetime Residential & 12yr Commercial warranty. They're rated AC4 and water resistant. Our main concern with the laminate is water resistance (I need to be able to damp mop weekly) and it has the micro-beveled edges forming a V shape so I don't want a bunch of build-up between the planks over time. One good argument in favor of the V edge was that tiny pieces of sand, dirt, pebbles actually settle there instead of scratching your floor surface until you vacuum your floor...so maybe it's actually a good feature? Also a major downside (or what appears to be) is that it can only go 33ft in either direction before t-molding is required...so we'd either have to include carpet on the main floor, or have t-molding in an open concept area.

We're also intrigued by Coretec Plus XL planks and it's probably even more water resistant than the Balterio. It's not quite as realistic looking I don't think which is okay, as long as we can find one we like. With Coretec, our main concern is leaving indentations from furniture which would really bother us. It's not like we rearrange furniture all of the time, but I'd be pretty upset if our dining table left impressions or someone sitting in a chair. I don't know if it's that soft or not. I also worry about their warning about direct sunlight through windows causing potential expansion issues since we aren't going to keep our window treatments closed in the middle of the day.

I think we're currently leaning toward the Balterio but we want to make sure we're not making a mistake and should have chosen something different. We absolutely do not want tile and hardwood is out of our budget.

Comments (2)