SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Help - Fridge/freezer options for large family?

bardzil
8 years ago

We are a family of 5 (two adults and three boys). My boys are currently small and don't eat that much, but we are remodeling our kitchen and, in a few short years, we will have 3 teenage boys in our house. We generally prefer to cook fresh and shop for groceries at least twice a week. We rarely freeze meats or pre-made meals to heat up later. Therefore a massive freezer is not critical.

Our kitchen design allows for a 36" counterdepth fridge/freezer AND one set of under counter fridge or freezer drawers. We had hoped to fit a 48" fridge/freezer but it just doesn't work.

So my question is... should go with a 36" all refrigerator unit (no freezer) and then separate freezer drawers elsewhere in the kitchen (the freezer drawers would be our only freezer in the kitchen although we could add a second freezer in the garage which is very convenient to the kitchen)? Or should we go with a 36" combination fridge/freezer (likely fridge on top and freezer on bottom) with separate refrigerator drawers elsewhere in kitchen?

My concern with the 36" all refrigerator and separate freezer drawers is whether we would have enough freezer space. Also, our fridge will be on the opposite side of the kitchen from our table so would we miss not having fridge drawers closer to the table for drinks?

On the other hand, with the second option, would the 36" combo unit offer enough fridge capacity for our family (if we add the additional refrigerator drawers)? Would we have more "freezer" space with this option or would it be about the same?

Has anyone bought freezer drawers to use as the only freezer in your kitchen? Did it feel adequate? Anyone else with a larger family have either of these setups?

thanks!

Comments (10)