Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

scion wood ? Hope Al T sees this as well

briana_2006
8 years ago

Hello All -

Merry Christmas!

Quick ? on rooting fig tree scion.

I am rooting in 60% perlite and 40% vermiculite under a 1000 watt metal halide light source,

Past scion wood I have received had buds on them that opened rapidly - say within about a week,

The scion I received this time had been uniformly pruned back to the main branch therefore containing no preexisting buds.

How should I expect this scion to progress rooting wise?

Assuming it will strike should I expect extensive root development followed by sending out a new branch after root development?

Or will it just take a longer period of time to send out a new shoot prior to extensive root development?

I have heard some scions will develop roots first and some will leaf out first or I would guess work on both processes at the same time,

Any guesses as to how long it will take before I see any emergence of green from the bark?

Whether or not roots form 1st or 2nd is that something that is genetically controlled or controlled by the condition of the scion wood (i.e. all side branches removed)?

I also sterilized the scion wood with 1 part bleach to 9 parts water dipping the sealed scion into the solution for 5 minutes.

After rinsing the scions in water I then removed a small amount of the bark on the correct end to expose green tissue before placing in the rooting medium - Oh also I dipped in rooting hormone before placing in the rooting medium.

Just wanted to check: dipping in the bleach solution for 5 minutes would not be expected to damage the scion - I have seen a source that suggests that you can dip for 15-20 minutes without damage as long as the scion cuts have sealed before dipping (which they had) and have seen another source that suggests testing on a piece of expendable scion before trying it on ones you are trying to root.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

Comments (3)