SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

What is everyone up to? Are you ready?

tinam61
8 years ago

Ready for Christmas, that is. I so enjoy this time of year. We have been having fun going to see lights and some of the events of our little town and the "big city" nearby.

Today I am doing a bit of cleaning. Tomorrow I will do some baking - such as cookies!! I have to pick up our ham and will spend some time with my grandmother. Thursday, hopefully will be a somewhat quiet day. I'll do more cooking and we will go to the Christmas Eve service and then on to dinner. Then - The Big Day!! Family will all be here. It is supposed to be in the 70's. While it would be nice if it were cooler, being able to get outside will be nice too. Luckily, we haven't moved any of the patio furniture to the basement yet!

So how about you - enjoying the season, getting ready?

Comments (24)

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

I thought I was pretty much done and ahead of the game, then all four of my kids decided *I* needed to take them shopping for their siblings. They all wanted to go this past weekend, but as a mostly SAHM, I avoid shopping on weekends so I told them we could go this week since they are out of school and the public schools are still in session. So yesterday, I was running around all day b/c they each had plans with friends. Then today, I had already planned to get up early and head to Sam's Club with dh to get a cell phone. From there, I went to the mall to return something, was handed a $10 gift card from a sales guy walking buy, and picked up some earrings for ds14 to give dd16. They were on sale, then with the $10, I only had to pay $1.75 for them. Score! Left there, stopped at the library to pick up a book on hold, then the post office to get stamps that I forgot to get for my Christmas cards (going to be late). Picked up dd from a sleepover, rushed home for a quick shower and get her to a Christmas party, then took ds14 shopping and to lunch. We just arrived home, now I have to go back and get my dd from the party.

While having lunch with my son, my oldest dd, who has been babysitting all day, texts me and asks if I'll take her shopping at 3pm when she gets home. Um, NO!!! Between yesterday and today, I've been running around all day for them, and haven't gotten to any of the things *I* need to do. For one, I need to finish my Christmas cards and get them in the mail today!

Dh is taking our boys to a college basketball game this evening, so I may take my oldest out shopping on the later side, after the post-work rush is over. Tomorrow, I plan on baking all day. I haven't made any treats yet.

tinam61 thanked 4kids4us
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I'm at work. Notice I did not say that I'm working - although there was a mad scramble this morning to try to get something done last minute, as there always seems to be in the last day or so before a holiday. I was just thinking about what we'll be doing this Christmas, and it's going to be very low key. On Thursday I'll do some prep for the dishes we're taking to the family celebration on Christmas Day, and we'll attend a church service (I believe we have three Christmas Eve services to choose from), and then I was thinking it might be nice for DH and I to grab something special at Starbucks and drive through our new area and look at some Christmas lights.

Christmas day may be interrupted by a big arrival, as the husky that my DB and SIL are fostering (she's involved in husky rescue) is presently incubating ten - TEN! - puppies! With so many, it's likely they won't all make it (which will be very sad), but I'm eager to see the babies arrive and it could be any day now.

I'm not sure what my "problem" is, but I don't generally start really getting into the spirit of the season until a couple of days before Christmas. Most people have been at this for weeks, but I just lack the proper enthusiasm until it's nearly upon us. I suppose it's better late than never.

tinam61 thanked IdaClaire
  • Related Discussions

everyone get ready - going to need lots of help

Q

Comments (6)
    Eaglemom, congratulations on deciding to start! We'll be with you all the way. By all means arrange your home to serve and please you and your family. I have a sewing room, an office, and a parrot room from what should be three "spare" bedrooms, and also my master bedroom making four. Paint the walls whatever colors make you smile. Try decorating with colors you look good wearing, especially ones that reflect well on your skin; then you will look pretty in your own house. Have you looked through the room threads in our gallery for inspiration? It's like a huge stack of decorating magazines without pages of ads. Don't be afraid to experiment to find what's perfect for you. Paint is only paint... not that expensive and I think fun to do because the results are so fantastic. Except two stories up on a ladder. Paint "resale neutral" in those places so you won't have to do it again. But a bedroom? You can change the color as often as you like until you find the best for you. It's only paint! Remember, even the pros have problems with picking out just the right wall colors. Please yourself and hug your friend and say thanks, but no thanks. She can paint her own house white with colored accessories. If it's not your thing, don't get talked into it. This is Eaglemom's house and it has to have Eaglemom's personality in it. Above all, please yourself and your DH and you can't go wrong.
    ...See More

Is everyone ready for London visit with Nita?

Q

Comments (2)
    You betcha!!! I've got my batteries all charged in the camera. I get to give Nita a big ol' hug! I'll give her another one for Pattie too. Just figuring out what to wear. I had pink capris and a pink and orange striped top on today to go to the dentist. I felt like a popsicle LOL!!!! I'm growing my hair out Laurel. You may not remember me now! heehee Most people go short as they get older but I've always had short hair......2" on the top. When I get it cut lately they've really been cutting it short......far too short at the back, than I like. So the heck with it, I'm growing her longer. Now it's at that in-between stage of course. So I'll post pics of me with my always-had-short hair tomorrow and of course we'll have new ones.
    ...See More

Are you ready to sign up for the Christmas Card Exchange?

Q

Comments (38)
    Here is a reminder for the card exchange. I was out of town for the weekend, then found out that DGD is in the hospital on our way home, then Dr, appointments, ect, so I have not been on the computer. I have barely kept up with the important emails, and still have 150 to go thru! I know what I will be doing this weekend. In fact, today is the first I have been on the computer at all, anything for email has been done on my phone. Toni, I did get your message, forgot I couldn't just reply and did, of course I got the failure email! Sorry. No you haven't missed the list. One more week to sign up. I will probably separate the list into groups on Wed, night next week, and then send them out. I will be having the kids & grands Thurs evening for dinner. If we don't get any more people, do you want all one group, or do you want me to break the list in half? There are 17 including me. Let me know what you think. Tami
    ...See More

What's everyone been up to ? Cooking? Crafts? Projects?

Q

Comments (43)
    HOUSE PAINTING TIP Sometimes it is difficult to visualize the appearance of house colors. What I found helpful is try different color schemes on paper first. If you have a drawing of your house, that's good if it is not too big. Make copies and color the copies.You can experiment: should you use 2 colors or 3? Try out both schemes on paper. When doing this, we found that too many colors was not good. You may find that 2 shades of the same color works for some elements. For example, suppose the prime color was blue-gray. Use a darker shade to outline the house and the lighter shade to cover the wide expanses bordered by the outline. You can play around with window trim. If you do not have a drawing to copy, make an outline sketch. Alternative, take a photo and use software to create an outline image. Convert the photo to black/white and play with the contrast and saturation to get an image that is mostly an outline. Print out copies for coloring.
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

I am ready but feeling a bit "bah humbug" because DH somehow came down with a pretty severe pinched nerve in his neck about two weeks ago and has been almost incapacitated since then. Today he is finally having an MRI. I'm assuming it will be at least several more days before he gets results and some kind of treatment plan. The dr did mention that he suspects it may require surgery. Bah humbug! And DD is in a back brace for the next 4-6 weeks due to a gymnastics injury. She is much more cheerful about her predicament than DH is, fortunately! I expected big drama from her because her season is pretty much wrecked now, but she has been a real trouper. Anyway, for those reasons I'm not feeling very festive, but we are still having our usual family visitors for Christmas (5 people, plus 5 of us, and probably DS' GF and a couple other friends later in the day) and I'm looking forward to that and hoping DH can rally. Also happy that middle DS is home from college for a month. :)

I'm also exhausted from all the prep!! One of these days I'll figure out how to NOT be wiped out before Christmas even happens. I am really looking forward to Sunday, actually, when we have no plans, no company, and I think I'll stay in my pajamas and read all day!

tinam61 thanked Sueb20
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

For some reason my brain isn't grasping that Thursday is Christmas Eve! i woke up in the middle of the night realizing this and went into panic mode. Woke up, got showered and dressed and to BJs before 9:00 am. Took all those groceries home, grabbed my Publix list got to the store and it hit me that today was NOT Wednesday. I still have a whole day to get baking done before Thursday when I'll prepare much of the food for Christmas morning.

I just wrapped the last present, although I do need one more thing for our 11 year old granddaughter......

tinam61 thanked maddielee
  • tinam61
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm sorry your hubby and daughter are having problems - especially right at this busy time of year. Of course you are not feeling the cheer! I have two friends who have had neck surgery lately - well one was about a year ago and the other was two weeks ago. Both had disc problems. (disc/disk??? LOL) Such a difference between the two! The first, male, had to wear a neck collar thing for several weeks. Was a major pain, although his surgery went well and solved his problem and pain. The other, female, two weeks ago - had the same surgery - both and the incisions in the front of neck, etc. but hers was out-patient, and no collar. She has done great! Some discomfort of course, but she has been able to get back to her normal routine (although no lifting, etc.) very quickly. Hopefully if your hubby has to have surgery, it will be like my female friend. Poor guy - both my friends had ALOT of pain and both had numbness in one arm,etc. Hope both of them are doing better soon!!

• deegw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Last Thursday I tripped over a teenager's Ugg boot and face planted on the wood floor. One foot was painful, bruised and swollen so of course I Googled and there were all kinds of dire warnings about upper foot injuries. My foot is getting better day by day so no trip to the Dr needed. I was finally able to drive yesterday and did a few last minute things. I had a really spectacular fall which included throwing a full plate of dinner so all things considered I got off pretty lightly.

I need to compare my kid's smallish gift piles, get some things from the grocery store and bake some cookies. I do a Christmas Eve meal, Christmas breakfast and Christmas dinner. There are only 6 of us but everyone is picky and has high expectations so I am really not looking forward to that part of the holiday. Plus it is supposed to be 80 degrees on Friday and I am not looking forward to having the oven on all day.

tinam61 thanked deegw
  • MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Maddie, I'm also having a hard time grasping that this week is Christmas! The house is decorated, all the presents are wrapped, client gifts received, and cards sent. I still have a bunch of cookies to make for Christmas Eve and grocery shopping for Christmas day plus this is one of my busiest work weeks of the year . . . and I've had bronchitis for the last week, so I really just want to stay in bed. The beginning of the new year will provide me with sweet sweet down time. I can't wait!

Oh yeah, 80 degree weather on Christmas is just not right. Even for Texas!

tinam61 thanked MagdalenaLee
  • MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

Mtn, you're poet and I didn't know it!

That's the best I can do. Also, I would have tried to rhyme something with "flocked."

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

ehh.

With one tree pure evergreen and one snowy flocked,

And presents galore to make their socks rock.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

For some strange reason, I kept moving everything up by a day, and had to keep reminding myself that I had one more day to do my "to do" list. (i.e. pick the pie up on Thursday not Wednesday!)

tinam61 thanked eld6161
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago

Busy last week before Christmas here. DD got home here from college last Saturday afternoon. The house was already decorated and most gifts purchased. Yesterday morning I had the first part of my very extensive annual physical, then met up with DD to finish buying DH's gifts. We then headed to our staff Christmas luncheon. From there we headed off to buy last minute groceries. I was totally exhausted when I got home! Today was a bit more relaxing, as I had nail and hair appointments in town. It rained a while ago and is supposed to snow this evening and again tomorrow. I need to start the dough for my Christmas coffee cakes in a minute. Wrap more gifts and make the red chile sauce for the tamales. And start dinner. Tomorrow we will finish the coffee cakes and do last minute cleaning. Christmas Eve will be just the 3 of us for a special dinner and opening a few gifts from family. We host a big get together here on Christmas Day, starting at 4:30. The day after Christmas is very special to us, too. No one is invited over. We spend it together in our pj's or sweats, lazing around relaxing, playing carols, watching a Christmas movie, playing with our gifts and eating our delicious leftovers. Also in the plans are outings with friends, a visit to Abuquerque's River of Lights and dinner in nearby Old Town. And, of course, everything Christmas in Santa Fe.

tinam61 thanked LynnNM
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

THIS is why I am having a hard time accepting that Christmas is this week...

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

Mtn, great poem! I love the part about the blank stare. Re my post above with dd wanting me to take her shopping today, I came home from picking my other dd up from the party, to find my 16 y/o dd home from babysitting and watching a movie. And upset that I didn't want to go back out for about the 10th time today to take her shopping. Yet do you think she thought to empty out the dishwasher while she was waiting for me? Or offer to help me in any way so that I would have a little less on my plate and make me more agreeable to taking her back out shopping? Grrrrrr! (She really is a good kid, but sometimes, ugh, just doesn't think outside of her little world!).

• violetwest
    8 years ago

I've been so, so sick I just barely got my tree up and doing last minute shopping. Planning my Christmas morning brunch menu.

tinam61 thanked violetwest
  • 4kids4us
    8 years ago

Maddie, at least in FL, it's not unheard of to have warm weather around this time of year. Here in MD, we are expected to reach the low 70s on Christmas. As much as I like warm weather, at Christmas, I want to be sitting in front of a roaring fire this time of year. My personal tradition on Christmas Eve is to stay up late in front of the fire with a Christmas movie on, a glass of wine, and wrap all of my kids' gifts. There will be no fire this year, though I will still have my glass of wine!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I was hoping to coast into these last few days, but it never works out that way. I spent this afternoon with DD at Cabelas picking up stocking stuffers for our guys. Then headed to Costco, where I spent, oh I don't know, close to my Christmas budget on stuff I didn't know I needed, and wine. And a few things for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner. Will head to Publix tomorrow and get the rest of the groceries and then do a little baking. Gifts are all wrapped.

We haven't even turned on our gas logs this year, and we sure won't have them on during Christmas. Thinking of looking for a pair of shorts.

DH has a bad cold so he's not much help. Sueb, I am so sorry your family is having problems, and Dee, glad you weren't badly hurt. On a good note, we had a wonderful experience with our choral presentations last Thursday thru Sunday. It was exhausting by the time all the performances were over, but so rewarding to participate. Bach's 'Magnificat' and 'Bellsong Fantasy/Carol of the Bells' were audience favorites.

tinam61 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    8 years ago

maddielee - I'm with you! For some reason I was counting the days to Friday when I realized company is coming on Thursday! Then I had an unexpected (but cherished) visit from a friend this morning, which eliminated a couple of hours AND my realtor asked to schedule a house showing tomorrow. Yikes! My DS and DIL's requested snack/dessert (The Magic Cookie) is in the oven and prep of the Christmas dessert/DS birthday cake (Sacher Torte) has begun. I have "last minute" grocery shopping tomorrow for fruits and vegetables and a quick run through with the vacuum and I'll be ready for the onslaught. We have "Minute to Win It" games and a nature scavenger hunt planned for the littles and all the bits and bobs for them are assembled. I'm excited!

tinam61 thanked User
  • aok27502
    8 years ago

Wow, some of you have me exhausted! We have no children, so Christmas is fairly easy compared to those with families. We only buy gifts for the under-16 nieces and nephew, so two teens and a 5 yr old. Those are wrapped. We'll go to friends' house Christmas Eve for light supper and church. We've done this since their oldest was -2, and he's 26 now. We only missed one year. I'll take a goodie plate for that.

Christmas morning we'll have three guests for easy brunch. Christmas dinner will be at the in-laws, and we all bring a few dishes. All of the groceries are purchased. Some of the goodies are made. Some of the food is Thursday or Friday morning. I think I just need to pick up some bags to put the cookies in. I spent about 30 minutes putting out a few decorations today, and that'll be it. Tomorrow I'll do some light cleaning, although the brunch guests are not the type to notice.

My holiday spirit is lagging this year, partly because of the weather. It shouldn't be record-setting warm on Christmas! I'm playing carols and making cookies, and I think my spirit is improving. Only a couple of days left to work on it!

tinam61 thanked aok27502
  • joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

Well on paper it doesn't look like I did much today but every muscle aches and I'm exhausted. Must be age...I just can't marathon like I used to. Today I did a quick cleaning of the main level, made some toffee bars, made dough for cookies I'll bake tomorrow(simply cannot bake all day..it wears me out), made sauce for the lasagne were having CE, rummaged in the nightmare of a basement trying to find stuff. I saw the bins that hold all my tablecloths in the distance....no hope of an excavation in time to use a Christmas cloth.

Would have also made two sides I was planning for CD but have scratched that menu and still have no idea what we're having.....does take out Thai say Christmas?

SueB.....I hear ya.....Christmas always does me in....all the cleaning, shopping, cooking, wrapping is too much.....and I even did 98% of my shopping online! Hope your DH and DD are on the mend soon.

Mtn.......very clever......my brain is too fried at this point to attempt rhyme....good on you!

On the bright side....DD is in the air right now.....she should be here around midnight....DH works near airport so hung around after work and went to the movies and Is probably at the casino now before he needs to pick her up.

Also....looks like weather-wise we'll be having the California Christmas of my childhood....will feel so strange after all these years on the east coast.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I enjoyed your poem, Mtn.. and I am in the same position except that I have to have all gifts ready by 5pm Christmas eve! I spent the day running errands that didn't really get me ahead of the game. I struck out many times... but I had a few hits and I enjoyed it. I need to work all day tomorrow and have plans in the evening so I will have my hands full (literally) on Thurs!

• runninginplace
    8 years ago

I feel very fortunate that working in higher education, it's easy to take the full 2 weeks off for the holiday season, which I did starting last Friday :). I'm also blessed to be at the life stage of no longer having young kids, or even kids at home so life is a lot more relaxed for me than for many others. I've got a few more little gifts to wrap and today will make a grocery store run to pick up some last minute things. Also need to get to Omaha Steaks to get my son's fiancee her gift (a selection of yummy frozen stuff she can heat n eat; that girl works way too hard and doesn't take care of herself). Later I'm going to roast shrimp for the shrimp cocktail and make a key lime pie, Need to tidy up the patio, which is where we will be eating-it's easier to have 12 people there than jammed into my small dining room.

We are doing a somewhat modified holiday this year; in the past we would go to my MIL for her Xmas Eve celebration, then my family for Xmas day. MIL went into assisted living a few months ago, and my stepmother has family visiting plus some other family drama/hijinks, so this season we will host my husband's side including MIL on Christmas Eve and then there is nothing planned for Christmas Day. I'm actually anticipating that-maybe I'll go see one of the movies that are opening and do Chinese takeout, just because I can. Anyway, things feel pretty calm this year, unlike most although my daughter posted this video and every time I watch it, I crack up...as I commented to her I resemble that remark!

tinam61 thanked runninginplace
  • User
    8 years ago

Love your poem, Mtn. :D

We finished up shopping yesterday .... amazingly, it wasn't crowded at all.

We go to SIL's tonight, and Christmas Eve and Christmas will be home, with just my dad coming. A far cry from the past, when I hosted both sides of our family for every holiday. My own family has broken up (long story), and that makes holidays hard.

I'm ready for January now.

tinam61 thanked User
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I have one gift to wrap (everything else has been shipped out on line); smoked salmon rollups to make Christmas day, and that's it. Well, I do have to figure out how to get a little cash to my garbage pickup people (I can't get down my driveway by myself and the pickup will be past for this week by the time my ride comes to get me to physical therapy -- will have to be next week...)

Little gifts for a few people at work will have to wait until I can go back to work again -- still limping around on crutches, and will do so for a few more weeks.

The thing I am most grateful for is... NO SNOW!!!!!! This would be magnitudes more difficult with that icy stuff!!!

tinam61 thanked artemis_ma