What food animal would you take to another planet?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Feels like Animal Planet
Comments (12)Angie, Alexandra started working at the Louisiana Nature Center ( part of Audubon Institute ), when she was in sixth grade, one of the reasons she decided to quit Girl Scouting was she was promoted to Animal Care and didn't have the time for both activities. When we left LA for Katrina she had been working Saturdays caring for and handling many of the animals there including baby alligators. Unfortunately, she went over to River Legacy and they don't seem to have any interest in her. She has pretty much known what she wanted to do since she was around 8 or 9. I have two other daughters 15 and 11, neither is interested in nature. 15 y.o. loves acting/drama and the 11 y.o. is into all sorts of stuff, she will go swimming, do yard work, paint play softball pretty much anything active, she likes to help me build things. Both of them were also in Girl Scouts, but neither one wants to anymore. I was hoping they would so I could get involved, but I don't have enough free time to be involved in something unless at least one of my girls is in it. I do miss camping and canoing. I did the training for Brownie, Junior and Cadette leaders, First Aid, OLS 1, OLS 2 and OLS 3 Canoing/Rivertripping. We had active troops, the Brownies went weekend camping. Anyhow, good luck with Girl Scouts- I guess that is why I am here- "make new friends but keep the old"...See Morewhat would you take?
Comments (27)Beyond emergency supplies, clothing and paper. I have two boxes. In one are all of my kid's baby pictures. In the other is a handmade crocheted tablecloth of my grandmother's and a crystal dish that belonged to my other grandmother. Everything else? Whatever. A tiny bit of history for me. Both boxes are in the bottom of my closet. I know exactly where they are. Btw, I always drive around with a flat of bottled water in the back of my van. Winter or summer, there is always water and a blanket in there. Forget dire emergencies, in the even of breaking down in the snow or when there is a heat index of 105, we won't ever be without water....See MoreWhen do you take your animal to the vet?
Comments (16)Sounds like my German Shepherd mix, except my boy is 5 years old with arthritis, hip and elbow dysplasia, not 1.5 years old. One day my boy started limping in his front leg, I took him to the vet several times as we tried to even figure out what part of his leg was hurting. Even through the vets manipulation my dog didn't bat an eyebrow. After several hundred dollars, I gave up trying to figure it out. He now gets a joint supplement, which seems to help the most. If he's looking bad, I have the vet's permission to give him pain killers on a controlled basis. It's very possible that your dog just twisted something while running around and it will get better. The best thing to do is to keep the dog from running around, refrain from long walks, and try to keep him quiet for a couple of weeks. If you think you know the joint that hurts, try a warm pack. I use an old tube sock filled with about a cup and a half to 2 cups of brown rice and microwave it until it's warm. I forgot to mention, my female Belgian strained her hip on some ice a few weeks ago and I took her to a physical therapist. Yes, they have those for dogs So, that might be another alternative. The only thing about the therapist is she wasn't experienced in diagnosing ACL injuries and for that my dog would have to be sedated. But I was positive it was her hip and since our agility training is in full swing I didn't want this complicating things. The therapist gave me something called Traumeel for the pain, but I haven't had to use it. So far she's heeling fast, but she's really loving the hot pack on her hip. This is from the Traumeel brochure "Physicians have been recommending Traumeel for over 60 years as a safe, effective and prescription-free alternative to NSAIDs. Traumeel consist of a combination of 12 botanical substances and 2 mineral substances as active ingredients. Backed by over two-dozen scientific and clinical studies. Traumeel has become - to millions of people worldwide - a trusted therapy for musculoskeletal aches and pains and an essential addition to at home healthcare". The dosage for my 57 pounds Belgian shepherd is 1 tablet 3 times a day 15 minutes from meals, food, or water. I'll be trying it on my boy next time he has trouble with his limp. I hope your boy heels up soon. Here is a link that might be useful: Traumeel Tablets...See MoreFood Safety — what steps do you take to prevent food borne illness?
Comments (23)I'm fortunate that I nor my family members have contracted a foodborne illness (that I know of). I follow the standard guidelines, but I do intermingle my reusable bags between the grocery store, Target, farmers market, etc., without washing them nearly as often as I should. But any food that goes into a meal is adequately washed and prepared. I have a friend who works in food production, and, based on her descriptions, many recalls are due to minor human error and miscalculations that require entire recalls of products that aren't necessarily dangerous to us as consumers. This isn't to say there aren't some serious and potentially deadly threats in our food production....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

HOMES AROUND THE WORLDHouzz Tour: A New Take on the Aussie Farmhouse
This shiny new home in the Australian countryside leaves room for animals, edibles and a swimming pool
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Animal Accesories
Bunnies and bears and birds, oh my! These animal-emblazoned pieces for the home are already domesticated and awfully cute
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHello, Honey: Beekeeping Anywhere for Fun, Food and Good Deeds
We need pollinators, and they increasingly need us too. Here, why and how to be a bee friend
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDon't Touch Another Stain Before You Read This
Even an innocent swipe with water may cause permanent damage. Here's what to know about how rugs and fabrics react
Full Story
MOVINGSaying Goodbye to One Home and Hello to Another
Honor your past and embrace your future with these ideas for easing the transition during a move
Full Story
COMMUNITYTogetherness Take 2: Is a Cohousing Community for You?
Missing that sense of connection? Consider the new breed of neighborhood with a communal bent
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES13 Risks to Take for True Garden Rewards
Go ahead, be a rebel. Breaking rules in the garden can lead to more happiness, creativity and connection with the earth
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Modern Take on a Traditional Texas Farmhouse
Contemporary details update the classic form in this Austin home with a kitchen designed for a professional baker
Full Story
MODERN HOMESHouzz Tour: A Modern Take on a Montana Log House
Multiple buildings form a vacation compound that's more like environmental art than architecture
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDTo Get the Food They Believe In, These Urbanites Grow Their Own
Home gardeners farming on their city lots find that local, organic food isn’t the only reward
Full Story
cookncarpenter