SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

NEW: 'Animal Planet'

booberry85
13 years ago

I'm itching for another round robin swap! This is a theme that Incredible Edibles was tossing around but just couldn't fit into the schedule this year. This swap will be open to all edibles & flowers. If we get five to sign up it'll be a go! As the theme suggests these will be seeds named after animals. So bring on your Mammoth Sunflowers, Bee Balm, Tiger Lilies, Canary Yellow Zinnias, Red Spider Zinnias, Cardinal Flower, Ladybug tomatoes, Goat's Horn Peppers, Tigger Melons, Rattlesnake Beans, Elephant Head Amaranth, Catnip, etc. I think once you get started with this it'll be a lot of fun & you'll see there's a wide range of seeds to pick from.

The rules:

- Seeds are to received by me no later than July 26.

- The maximum number of seeds packets to send in is 30 (extras are always welcomed).

- Miminum of 12 seeds per packet (tiny seeds should have a 1/4 teaspoon of seeds)

- All seeds should be from 2009 or 2010.

- No more than 3 of any one variety. (Who wants 10 packets of Mammmoth melting snow peas anyway)

- Seeds must be named after animals (mythological or extinct are fine) or insects (ladybugs, fireflies, spiders (yeah I know their not an insect. I think you get the point though)) etc.

- SASBE required so you can get your seeds back

- Seeds to be sent back by August 5th (my birthday!)

Sound like fun? Good! Then why are you hesitating to sign up?

Comments (46)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I'll join in. I hope it's a "go."

Jeanne

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe you can help me tantalize the "flower children" into participating. I'm a big veggie lover as far as gardening goes, but I do plant a few flowers.

Some more flowers to add are:
    snapdragons
    Orange Porcupine Calendula
    Cardinal Climber Morning Glory
    Frosted Salmon Poppies
    Teddy Bear Sunflowers
    Oriole Zinnia
    Polar Bear Zinnias (I grew these one year! Showy Flower)
    Cleome (Spider flower)
    Larkspur - Galilee Salmon Double
    White Swan Echinacea
    FireFly Coral Bells
    Birds of Paradise

Come on. Bring out the flower child in you. I know there's more!

As for you veggie types, don't forget:
    Dinosaur Kale
    Furrry Yellow Hog Tomatoes
    Depps Pink Firefly Tomatoes
    Flamingo Tomato
    Canary Melons
    Dragon Tongue Beans
    Turkey Craw Beans
    Bull's Blood Beets
    Blue Goose Cowpeas
    Amish Deer Lettuce
    Serpent Melons
    Snake Melons
    Eagle pass Okra
    Fish Peppers
    Yellow Monster (a bit of a stretch but I said mythological creatures were in too)
    Rat Tail radishes
    Green Dragon Cucumber
    White Swan Acorn Squash
    Oriole Orange Swiss Chard
    Green Zebra tomato
    Red Zebra tomato
    Flamingo Tomato
    Thai Red Turtle Egg Tomato
    Georgia Rattlesnake Watermelon
    Peacock Striped Watermelon

Ahhhh! The husband is out of town and I feel an order coming on! If only I could find more squashes to fit the theme!!

Come on & join the fun!

• jaynine
    13 years ago

I'd like to join, please.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to have you join!

So far there's three of us:
    Booberry85
    Sadlapper Rose
    Jaynine

I'm sure there's more out there!

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

I am in too.

Thanks -

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to have you join, Deb!

So far
    Booberry85
    Sadlapper Rose
    Jaynine
    Austinhanasmom

One more & we'll have a swap!

Feel free to add to the list above of flowers & edibles.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I hope one more person will sign up. I want to order some seeds for this swap and won't do that until I am sure it is going to take place. Come on, animal lovers... visit the jungle or the zoo or the farm... whatever this turns out to be. LOL
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do I need to list a few more possibilities to tempt people? Here's a few more that I thought (with some help :))

Foxglove
    Flamingo Feather Celosia
    Monkey Flower
    White Crane Flowering Kale
    White Elephant Baby's Breath

Wormwood

Beaverlodge Slicer & Plum Tomatoes
    Honey Bear Acorn Squash
    Wolf Pumpkin
    Black Hawk Zucchini
    Raven Zucchini
    Flashy Trout's Back Lettuce
    Purple Peacock Broccoli
    Snow Leopard Melons
    Kermit Eggplant

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm a click away from ordering! Dh comes back on thursday. Will we have one more taker before then? And the seeds I will be ordering? I found a bunch more with animal names I haven't listed!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump! Hoping we get a few more takers.

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Some I have to send:
    Dwarf Hummingbird Texas Sage, Pony Tails Amaranthus, Anemone, Leopard's Bane, Goat's Beard, Red Dragon Creeping Gloxinia, Butterfly Weed, Butterfly Bush, Tickseed (Coreopsis), Iranian Storksbill (Erodium), Bird's Eyes (Gilia), Swan Plant (aka Hairy Balls), Ragged Robin, Oxheart Tomato, Horehound, Pigsqueak (Bergenia), Tiger Paws Aster, Jacob's Cattle Bean, Black Dragon Coleus, Bunny Bloom Larkspur, Ladybird Poppy, Black Swan Poppy and more!!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How fun Jaynine! What a great collection of seeds.

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

My order was slightly messed up a bit, but the correct seeds are on the way and mine will be ready too!!!

Come ON - one more person...

This girl wants some Hairy Balls! I swear I had sprouts this spring and now, nothing.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump! Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July. There's still time to sign up everyone!

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Am I too late? I just saw this post.
    Alana

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not too late at all Alana. Glad to have you on board. With Alana that makes 5 so the swap will be a go!

So far:
    Booberry85
    Sadlapper Rose
    Jaynine
    Austinhanasmom
    Poisondartfrog

There's still time to sign up. This coming Sunday (July 11th) will be the cut off date for signing up.

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

woo hoo!! Thanks PDF!!

prepping my seeds for mailing:))

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! I just emailed everyone regarding the details of the swap. If you did not receive an email from me, please email me.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I mailed my seeds today so they should get to you by the middle of next week. I hope I did everything the right way! LOL
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WhooHoo! I'll keep a look out for them.

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Seeds for a couple of my animals are drying now-I should be ready to send by the end of the week.
    Alana

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sign ups for this swap are now closed. I hope everyone received an email from me regarding where to send the seeds. If not please email me. every now & then I have trouble getting through to aol email addresses.

We'll keep posting to this thread for the updates since we're no where near full.

I got sunburned weeding in the garden on Saturday. The worst part about it is I went out Sunday and it looks like I could weed all over again!

Happy Gardening everyone!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received seeds from Jeanne / Sandlapper Rose today. What a fun collection. A few things I hadn't even thought of!

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Glad they made it there okay. Wow, that was fast!
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No seeds have arrived the past couple of days. I have been having fun packing up my seeds for the swap. I have some more to do too!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No packages the past few days. Hope everyone is working on getting their seeds in.

Happy gardening!
    Becky

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Becky,
    My animals are crawling, flying, trotting your way as of today.
    Alana

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Mine are also in today's mail!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Alana & Jaynine. I'll be keeping my eyes open for them. I hope Deb isn't buried in the Weird Odd & Unusual Swap!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received seeds from Jaynine today. Another great selection! I think we'll all be happy campers with this swap!

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

My seeds are on the way - sorry for the delay -

Deb

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that Deb. I'll be looking for them.

I received Alana's / Poison Dart Frog's seeds today. I had to laugh at one of the names of the tomatoes you sent!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I won't tell you the specific varieties that have come in because I want there to be some surprise when you get your seeds. However, some of the animals that are visiting our "Animal Planet" are:

Anemone
    Bear
    Bee
    Bird
    Boar
    Bull
    Bunny
    Butterfly
    Cardinal
    Cat
    Cattle
    Cock
    Cow
    Crane
    Dog
    Cardinal
    Coyote
    Dinosaur
    Dragon
    Elephant
    Firefly
    Fish
    Fly
    Fox
    Hog
    Hummingbird
    Lion
    Magpie
    Mammoth
    Monkey
    Moth
    Ox
    Pigeon
    Pike
    Pony
    Rattlesnake
    Razorback
    Salmon
    Scallop
    Serpent
    Sheep
    Snake
    Spider
    Starfish
    Stork
    Swan
    Tick
    Turtle
    Tiger
    Viper
    Zebra

Whew! That's a lot of animals!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received Deb's seeds today. So I've been sorting, sorting sorting! I think I found a few things off of everyone's wish lists. I'm hoping to get them out in the mail on Saturday.

Happy Gardening everyone!
    Becky

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

Sorry for holding it up -

I hope the sorting goes well -

Deb

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No hold up at all Deb. I think I'll be able to get seeds out tomorrow!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DH rushed me out the door this morning and I forgot the packages. I'll have to get them out on Saturday.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seeds are in the mail everyone! I hope you like the selections of seeds I picked for you. I'm a simple soul when it comes to flowers, so it was great to learn about all the new(to me) varieties I had never heard of.

Happy Gardening!

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

(((HUGS))) to Becky and all!!

I love the selection!!

I can't wait until I can touch, and photograph, my very own Monkey Ass and Hairy Balls next year!!

Thanks so much -

Deb

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deb, ROFL! I had a rough day at work today. I think that's the first time I had a good laugh all day. Glad you like your seeds (who wouldn't get excited over monkey asses and hairy balls?! LOL!)

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

I have had 3-4 packets of HB seeds and none have looked as healthy as the ones I received from you:))

They even look WAY better then the ones I bought for the Odd swap!!

(Thanks jaynine)

Fingers are crossed for HB in my 2011 garden:)) - well from a plant anyway!!

Becky - I hope you have a better day -

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Mine came, too. Becky~thanks so much for the careful consideration you showed in choosing my seeds--I love them! Thanks, everybody, for the great selection (and thank you, Deb, for the giggle)!

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I have beem away for several days and had forgotten all about the seeds that were coming What a treat! I am especially happy with a couple of tomato selections I received.
    Thank you Becky-nice job!
    Alana

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad people are happy with their seeds.

We had thunderstorms in our neck of the woods yesterday. The storms didn't knock out my internet & phone, but my doggie doesn't handle storms well. She got up onto the table and knocked everything off of it including our server & wireless network. DH determined we now have a bad cable that needs to be replaced.

On a positive note, last night DH & I picked up 2 shih tzu puppies! A boy & a girl. We still have to name them! We have them at work with us today.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

My seeds arrived while I was away on a trip. Thanks to all who sent seeds for this swap and thanks to our hostess!
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for making it a successful swap everyone!

The puppies names are Boris & Natasha.
    :)